Alexanders relationship to his fellow Macedonians

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Mark Stieger

Alexanders relationship to his fellow Macedonians

Post by Mark Stieger »

Greetings all you Alexanders fans

I am working at the moment on a unit standard on Alexander. Its quite a big one, and there are some things which i am not sure of, and i hope you guys could help me out :)

Could anyone of you give me some information on Positive and Negative aspects of Alexanders relationship with his Macedonians?

Dont get me wrong, i dont want you guys to do my work, its just i havnt found anything regarding this in my notes.

Thanks Mark
Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Theseus »

Alexander was very willing to change. He wanted to adopt some of the Persian's way of life, dress, courtesies ect.... The Macedonians weren't as willing and that put a strain on some of his relationships with his men. This can be read in Plutarch's books as well as many others I am sure. It caused quite a bit of friction amongst those who were willing to try Alexander's idea and those who would not even consider it. Hephaestion was one of the few that supported Alexander's concept to adopt some of the customs of the countries he had conquered.I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it's what popped into my head when I read your topic.
Alita
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Alita »

You could, in your studying through the sources, look for some of the following:
Trust between Alexander and his men;
Natural affinity and compatibility by virtue of having the same blood;
Fighting for the same cause (the glory of Greece);
A common enemy (Persia);
Traditional virtues of respect for age and experience. (Positives).

Envy of Alexander's power and wealth;
Mistrust of Alexander's methods and character;
Doubts as to Alexander's psychological stability;
Resentment of Alexander's self-aggrandisement. (Negatives).

All the best. :)
First, be human.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Alita wrote:Fighting for the same cause (the glory of Greece);
Que? The greater glory of Alexander and Macedonian expansion one might think.

This one, in any case.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Mark Stieger

Post by Mark Stieger »

Thanks for your help guys :)

finished that paragraph thanks to you!

now i get to the interessting stuff of my assignment, the major battles.

wish me luck

mark