Gates of Hell by Paul C. Doherty (historical fiction)

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Gates of Hell by Paul C. Doherty (historical fiction)

Post by jan »

Luckily, I found another book by Doherty, and read it in a single sitting. It was that interesting to me as Paul has skillfully planted a mystery of intrigue in this book so that I had to read to the finish. That rascal!I like this book which is about the battle of Halicarnassus, and demonstrates how well learned Paul is in the study of Alexander too. Gee, who isn't, any more? But the more novels, the better I like it.And this one is a gem. It brought the horrors of the clashes between Persians and Greeks to life in a manner which is really gruesome and horrendous. As the chief character is a physician, naturally, we learn about the wounds and injuries earned by the soldiers. And we get an insight into the nobility of Alexander as well.If you haven't read it yet, do yourself a favor and enjoy. It is all that good.And I won't comment on the character of Alexander as he suffers from panic attacks, greatness and nobility of spirit, intelligence and courage above and beyond the call of duty, and from all his detractors, a lot of name-calling and putdowns also.But it is fun, nonetheless, no matter whether you like Cassandra and her sarcasm or not. She is the able assistant to the physician, Telamon. She is the femme fatale, maybe? At least she gets all the wolfwhistles from the Cretan Archers.And I am taking particular note of the criticisms and comments aimed at Alexander's behaviour as it was quite pointed. Thanks, Paul. I guess I needed that.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Gates of Hell by Paul C. Doherty (historical fiction)

Post by marcus »

Hi Jan,This is the new one by Doherty, isn't it? Set during the siege of Halikarnassos, if I'm not mistaken.I was singularly unimpressed by Doherty's previous books set during Alexander's time. But they were still quite fun to read, so I have no doubt I'll be getting this one, too!Which reminds me, someone has been writing a series of whodunnits with Aristotle as the detective/hero. I've not read any of them, but was thinking of giving them a go - has anyone ventured there yet?All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by wmp »

Marcus, I too was unimpressed by Doherty's
previous Alexander novels - & even more so by
the ones published under the pseudonym of
Anna Apostolou. Having received the
Halikarnassus one to review for the Joint
Association of Classical Teachers' Journal, I
was polite as I could be, given the book was
free... I've also read 2 of the three "Aristotle - Detective"
books by Margaret Doody (probably better
known as Margaret Anne Doody, author of "The
True History of the Novel") - I very much liked
them, especially the second one, as I've been in
a production of the Dyskolos (you'll have to read
the novel to find out more - I can't give away the
whole plot!). . . However, colleague of mine
who lectures in detective fiction found them hard
to get into... I'd recommend them, tho' - Jan, you
might like to try these.yours,wmp
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks, I love read as much as I can. I am reading The Ten Thousand by Michael Curtius Ford, halfway through it, and it has me enthralled, making Paul's book look like mild kid stuff in comparison. Yet, I appreciate Paul's insights into the difficulties to defeat Memnon inside the city. I liked his descriptions of the creaking towers, and the flaming arrows. The Ten Thousand is about Xenophon and his childhood slave Theo, who is now freed, and from whom the point of view of the story is told. I had liked Paul's ability to recreate the battle scenes, but I find that Ford is much better. Also Ford developed the childhood of Xenophon in such a way that made me realize that so far I have read nothing about Alexander's training experience. Ford's book is excellent; whereas, Doherty's book is only fair. But I believe that Doherty has youngsters in mind while Ford is definitely writing for adults with strong stomachs and a taste for the seriously sadistic-masochistic.One thing I learned from Ford early in the prologue is to doubt the wound that Alexander took in the lungs. That wound has given me considerable thought, as a description of an arrow simply taken from Xenophon's leg is mind-boggling.Ford's book makes you think; while Paul Doherty's book simply entertains. But I like Paul's methods of teaching me a lesson. He took the very words right out of my mouth, and I admit that I am guilty.
I am just trying to decide if he is a mind reader or what?