The marshals of Alexander's empire

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

neneh
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

The marshals of Alexander's empire

Post by neneh »

I just got hold of a copy of "The marshals of Alexander's empire" by Waldemar Heckel, and I just wanted to ask this forum for opinions on this book.
(One might suggest I just read it and find out for myself, but time is scarce these days, so I need to know it's worth the trouble before I embark upon it)All opinions are much welcomed.Kindest regards,Neneh
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: The marshals of Alexander's empire

Post by marcus »

For my part, I think it's fabulous. It's probably not one for reading cover to cover (unless you think you're up to the challenge) - rather for dipping into. When I first embarked upon it I did it by 'chapter', but very soon changed to the "Oh, I think I'll 'do' Perdikkas son of Orontes today".I promise you, you won't be disappointed.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
neneh

Post by neneh »

Thanks Marcus, I appreciate it. :-)
So far I've only just skimmed through a few pages, and the only negative thing about it is that the author doesn't seem to translate quotes from books written in Greek/Latin/German/etc. Oh well.Kindest regards,Neneh
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

hi Neneh,
don't listen to Marcus, its a terrible book, and if you decide to throw it away, I'll take it off your hands and cover postage charges. :)cheers!
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

I found the lack of an index rather annoying - plus some pedigree charts would have helped. I think it's well complemented by the Beth Carney book of Women & Monarchy in Macedonia - I know that Heckel's book is meant to be about men, but it's useful to have a reference for the women as well, as they played such an important part in the history of Alexander's reign, compared to earlier royal women.Susan
neneh

Post by neneh »

I'm sure the library where I got it would _really_ like that. ;-)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

He he he!Still, when I last looked a new copy would cost around -ú50, so your underhand tactics might be justified.M
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
neneh

Post by neneh »

-ú60 at amazon, I think. A bit OT, but does anyone know why this book is so expensive?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

-ú60 was it? Crikey!It's so expensive because it's so good! :-)If you fancy a trip to Nottingham you can always have a look at my copy, free of charge - special gloves provided as part of the service...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
neneh

Post by neneh »

Well, I've just left the East Midlands for Scandinavia... And managed to order this book from a library here so it was waiting for me when I arrived three days ago (didn't get any special gloves though...).
If I'm going to cough up -ú60 for a book I want to know it's worth it. But with the response I got here I guess I'll be breaking my book budget soon... :-)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I didn't realise you were in the East Midlands - for some reason I assumed you were in London.Where were you living?MArcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Good info on the books, thanks.
And Marcus, you're from Nottingham? That's where my Mom was from. I've not visited there as I usually head for Wales instead (dad's home). ruth
neneh

Post by neneh »

I've been living in Leicester for the past two years. :-) Somehow I got the idea you were living in London... Best wishes,Neneh
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Ah! Well, I currently work in London and stay there during the week. But I'm in Nottingham at weekends - and it is at least my spiritual home :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK