Everyday Alexander -or- Daily Life Of A King

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Everyday Alexander -or- Daily Life Of A King

Post by rocktupac »

I'm always curious about what people think Alexander (or any ancient ruler) did on a daily basis. When one thinks about it, the amount of knowledge we have about Alexander, or his day to day activities, is really limited. I realize there are legitimate reasons for this and some of the answers we seek may never be solved.

But I was wondering on a theoretical level, or even an educated guess, what are the types of things you think Alexander might have done on a daily basis. (Besides the obvious responses like: drill, hunt, physical activities, strategize, etc.) I'm interested in what life would have been like for the most powerful man in the world. I have my own thoughts and ideas about his life, but I would just like to find out yours. Apart from his military campaigns and what we have in the couple ancient sources, I am obsessively interested in finding out what his true character was like and if that's even possible. Thanks.
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Everyday Alexander -or- Daily Life Of A King

Post by smittysmitty »

rocktupac wrote:I am obsessively interested in finding out what his true character was like and if that's even possible. Thanks.
Let us know when you find out. :D
rjones2818

Apparently he started his days with his religious duties.

Post by rjones2818 »

I don't know how often this meant a big sacrifice, or if it meant pouring incense on a fire, dripping some wine out of a cup, etc.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Everyday Alexander -or- Daily Life Of A King

Post by marcus »

rocktupac wrote:But I was wondering on a theoretical level, or even an educated guess, what are the types of things you think Alexander might have done on a daily basis. (Besides the obvious responses like: drill, hunt, physical activities, strategize, etc.)
I sort of agree with Smitty's response - if there were a way of knowing, you wouldn't have to ask the question.

As a somewhat more in-depth answer, I think that you've already covered a lot of it - hunting, drilling, strategising. When the army was on the march, of course, there wasn't much time to sit down an play computer games ... but the administration of a growing empire must have taken up a massive amount of time, and we know that he had a phenomenal amount of correspondence, whether that from Antipater and Olympias, reports from other parts of Greece, other parts of his empire; and correspondence to write in return, of course. Then there were games and festivals to attend, and envoys to meet, which must have taken up a lot of time.

I'm not sure there's much left of the 24-hour day, once we consider all of these things, unaccounted for.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
dean
Hetairos (companion)

?

Post by dean »

rocktupac wrote:
I am obsessively interested in finding out what his true character was like and if that's even possible. Thanks.

Let us know when you find out.
Hello Rocktupac,

I went through a phase a while back when I have to confess that "obsessively" I couldn't think about anything else other than Alexander- and wanted to try to find out exactly what you were after.

It never went away- I still find in Alexander a centre of massive interest and confusion and will probably always will- who the hell was he? And it is thanks to Alexander that in my moments of doubt etc. I find a person who no matter what adversity, came through in spite of all and that I think is noble, no?

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

Thank you Dean for the inspiring words and response.
jan
Strategos (general)

Good question

Post by jan »

but weren't most of his logs lost when he crossed the desert? He did keep extensive logs I believe, but all were lost. Probably will never know, will we.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Good question

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:but weren't most of his logs lost when he crossed the desert? He did keep extensive logs I believe, but all were lost. Probably will never know, will we.
I don't think you're right there, Jan - but if I am wrong myself, apologies. If the Ephemerides were indeed genuine, then they certainly existed from the time after Alexander emerged from the desert, anyway, and that was a good 8 months to a year before he died (can't remember my chronology exactly). There would have been enough material.

However, how much did they record? Clearly in the last few days of his life almost everything appears to have been recorded - then again, that wasn't much, because he spent most of the time flat on his back with a fever, unable to talk or do anything. For the period prior to that: did the Ephemerides record each time he knocked back a cup of wine, or went to the toilet, or had a quiet chat with this man or that? Personally I doubt it - it records what it necessary to record of court business, not the private life of the king.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

rocktupac wrote:Thank you Dean for the inspiring words and response.
What, no thanks to the rest of us? Humph! :wink:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

HI Marcus,

Post by jan »

:D As I dimly remember, he spent some time working at the Euphrates River, working on canals or some such thing, and some few believe that is where he contracted whatever disease may have killed him. (I am in that line of thinking also.) Some hat blew off his head, and someone else wore it, creating a sense of dread and suspicion.

But these are all tales told, and an element of truth may be in them, but for the most part, it is storytelling time, isn't it? The story goes that when he tried to drown himself, his wife, Roxanne, prevented his drowning himself. He is said to have criticized her for that too...just another story, huh?
jan
Strategos (general)

Hey if this works this time and the previous post is posted

Post by jan »

:oops: all is well...am still getting some flack on some posts but others work o.k. wonder what gives here. :roll: