Karens Avatar

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Beatriki
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Avatars, sculptures and herms, oh my

Post by Beatriki »

karen wrote: I picked the Pergamon bust, by the way, because of all the portraits, to me it's the only one that looks like a real person. The rest all strike me as stylized -- including the Azara herm, which also, to me, looks oddly exaggerated or distorted. (To Beatriki: first thing you have to do with one of these is always a nose-job ;) ) Now it may be that Alexander was such a handsome devil that an accurate bust of him would look stylized. But the existence of the Pergamon bust suggests otherwise.
You're right... but if he had been perfect, he wouldn't have been that attractive to me :)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Since we’ve mentioned how different people see Alexander, would this be a good place to show a modern, cultural interpretation of how he looked? There is a series of “Persian” books for children which relate various stories from the Book of Kings, some of which focus on Alexander. In the Book of Kings the stories about Alexander are entirely fictionalized; however, the images of him in the children’s books are a delight; dark haired, blue-eyed, with a jaw the likes of which I haven’t seen since Dudley Do-right! And just look at those brows! :lol: I bought all eight books that feature Alexander and (possibly) a son as well - even though I can’t read a word of the text there are full illustrations on every page - but I’ll post only two or three of the covers here. The third is my absolute favorite, by the way, and could be used to illustrate historical events if one so desired. Ignore the grey hair and picture it as the deceased Darius being laid out in state, with Alexander, omnipresent and far-seeing, literally looming over the kingdom of Persia! I tried to reduce it to the size of an Avatar but it didn’t work out. :(

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Since we’ve mentioned how different people see Alexander, would this be a good place to show a modern, cultural interpretation of how he looked? There is a series of “Persian” books for children which relate various stories from the Book of Kings, some of which focus on Alexander.
Blimey! Where on earth did you find those?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

marcus wrote:Blimey! Where on earth did you find those?
Ebay! :D The seller is an Iranian living in America who also has a website selling posters, artwork, brass pots with designs from Persepolis, etc., although the items he and his wife put up on Ebay can generally be bought for less. I'd post the url but I believe it's frowned upon to promote commercial sites on Pothos. (Isn't it?) Anyone can send me a PM for the info though.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Beatriki
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Beatriki »

amyntoros wrote:
This one is great :D Oh, and for the eyebrows... maybe they were inspired by Colin Farrell's :lol: Thanks Amyntoros, I liked the drawings very much, and the image portayed, except for the chin (looks like Spartacus 8)), is very realistic :wink:

Kisses, Beatriki

PD: Oh, I'm part of the army now!!! :lol: A pezhetairos :!:
jan
Strategos (general)

O.K. Karen

Post by jan »

:D Gotcha! :P I like the diamond in your initials.
jan
Strategos (general)

Chin up

Post by jan »

:D Hi Amyntoros, The cleft chin is a dead giveaway! I recognized that! Thanks! Jan
Valerio Manfredi wins on this one!