Everyday encounters with Alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alita
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Everyday encounters with Alexander

Post by Alita »

A while ago I was taking a History class and was asking each student in turn to tell me what was their favourite historical period? I received many answers, then one of the boys declared, "I'd like to go back to the time of ancient Greece and Rome and of Alexander the Great!" This impressed me, as the boy was from a farming family in outback Australia and I hadn't thought he'd cared much about ancient Greek history.

Just as a less serious change, I was wondering if people could share their experiences of encountering Alexander the Great in exchanges or chance conversations with other people, friends or strangers. What do other people say about him? Have you ever met serious fanatics or really unlikely fans? Your experiences would be very welcome and valued. :D

I encourage anyone to contribute their stories. The more gossipy, the better! :wink:
First, be human.
Phalanx Pursos

Re: Everyday encounters with Alexander

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Alita wrote:What do other people say about him? Have you ever met serious fanatics or really unlikely fans? Your experiences would be very welcome and valued. :D
Well a buddy of mine called Attila we used to play chess a lot and he would speek about the Huns & Alexander the great, the things he said about Alexander the great was this one thing. There was this city which could not be conquered, so Alexander got all his warriors born under the sign of Aries and they got the city. Later I found out Alexander the great used a battering ram as siege equipment to break down the gates of the city Tyre, so did Alexander's soldiers born under the sign Aries operate the storming ram and who invented it ?
Aristoteles;
"Friendship is essentially a partnership"
ImageImage
marcus
Somatophylax

Oh God, please no!

Post by marcus »

Alita wrote:... I was wondering if people could share their experiences of encountering Alexander the Great in exchanges or chance conversations with other people, friends or strangers. What do other people say about him? Have you ever met serious fanatics or really unlikely fans? Your experiences would be very welcome and valued. :D

I encourage anyone to contribute their stories. The more gossipy, the better! :wink:
Oh please let's not! :(

If we have to, does anyone object if I move this to the Off-topic forum? Maybe I'm being a real misery-guts, but I've as much right to my opinion as everyone else, so I have to ask ... :cry:
:wink:
ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Have you ever met serious fanatics...?
Yeah. Here.

:twisted:
Alita

Post by Alita »

Phalanx Pursos wrote:
Alita wrote:What do other people say about him? Have you ever met serious fanatics or really unlikely fans? Your experiences would be very welcome and valued. :D
Well a buddy of mine called Attila we used to play chess a lot and he would speek about the Huns & Alexander the great, the things he said about Alexander the great was this one thing. There was this city which could not be conquered, so Alexander got all his warriors born under the sign of Aries and they got the city. Later I found out Alexander the great used a battering ram as siege equipment to break down the gates of the city Tyre, so did Alexander's soldiers born under the sign Aries operate the storming ram and who invented it ?
Attila? You're taking the piss right? :lol:
First, be human.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Alita wrote:Attila? You're taking the piss right? :lol:
I'm assuming he isn't - Attila is a very common name in Hungary! I used to work with a distributor in Budapest who had two Attilas working for him; and last night I watched a film called Severence, which was filmed in Hungary, and there were at least 6 listed in the credits.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Alita

Post by Alita »

Far out Marcus. :o I had no idea it's such a popular name. Could understand why though; after all, how many Greeks call their kids Alexander? :P

I just realised, if my name were said backwards, I'd be an Attila too. Spoooky. :twisted:
First, be human.
jan
Strategos (general)

Chance conversations, huh?

Post by jan »

:lol: Except for the movie, nobody that I have ever met bothers to ever mention Alexander. He is one of the least important topics in the world when we have such important things to discuss as Dancing with the Stars and Spiderman now. I see others are objecting to this idea of chance conversations, but in my neck of the woods nobody even thinks about Alexander at all...who's he?
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Are you kidding? Only Paris HIlton and Britney Spears are the topic of the day now. Alexander who?
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Are you kidding? Nobody discusses Alexander here.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Chance conversations, huh?

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:Are you kidding? Nobody discusses Alexander here.
Jan, why have you posted three messages, each saying fundamentally the same thing?
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Hi Marcus,

Post by jan »

I just sent you a personal message, and I keep getting a debug message that says that message was not posted. I guess that I was overtrying. I hope you get the pm as it explains a lot, but I also got the same debug message that says that my message did not get sent. :cry: I came back to see what happened, and this is what I see now. Well, at least I know something is going on. I have also asked you twice now if you get the pm message. Hope so. A bit long, I admit. But you know the old story, don't ge tme started.... :D :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Hi Marcus,

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:I just sent you a personal message, and I keep getting a debug message that says that message was not posted. I guess that I was overtrying. I hope you get the pm as it explains a lot, but I also got the same debug message that says that my message did not get sent. :cry: I came back to see what happened, and this is what I see now. Well, at least I know something is going on. I have also asked you twice now if you get the pm message. Hope so. A bit long, I admit. But you know the old story, don't ge tme started.... :D :)
Ah, that explains it! Yes, that debug message is cropping up a lot at the moment. It usually sorts itself out (unless it's intervention by Thomas that does it).

No PM yet - but that's also taking a while to deliver. I sent a couple a few days ago which took ages to get through. I'll keep an eye out!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

HI Marcus,

Post by jan »

:D Well, if you got the pm message by now you know what I said. If not, well, heck, it probably means something, but I couldn't say what...censors...glitches! I kept looking for a response from you too...but an answer to one of Kenny's posts went on without a hitch, so that made me wonder too. Who knows? :?:
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Hi Marcus,

Post by marcus »

jan wrote::D Well, if you got the pm message by now you know what I said.
Hi Jan,

I did get your PMs - but there were four (in the end) and I haven't had a chance to read any of them yet - very busy week! Also I've been without Internet access for two days, and this is my first time on the Net since then.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK