Troy

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Troy

Post by Nicator »

Hello Fellow Pothosians,I took my son out to see the movie Troy yesterday. My early impression is that it was a bit too ambitious. My major complaint is the total disregard for the passage of time. They decided to portray the entire ten year war in a period of a couple of weeks. I don't know the Iliad very well, but know enough to determine when they strayed from Homer's storyline. The action, however, was awesome! Particularly Brad Pitt. I was a bit concerned as to how he'd do. Particularly, as I was the guy raving about how he should be Alexander (which obviously, some film industry personnel took to heart). I would say that his performance was in many cases nothing short of electric. He personified the raging, perfect, killing machine of ancient times. The Greeks were shown as a bit more barbaric than the Trojans, and overall, Wolfgang Peterson's portrayal of the two sides showed them both to be equal and honorable adversaries. He didn't fall into the trap of showing the Greeks as the good guys and the Trojans as the bad guys...or vice-versa. Overall, I enjoyed the picture, but can see how someone not inclined towards 'all things' ancient Greece might get a little bored at times. If you didn't know the story at all (and there's plenty who will see this film that will fall into this category), then this film might be difficult to follow. Brad's emotional response fell a bit short of the total meltdown which Achilles displayed when Patroclus was killed. His revenge fell a bit short as well, but the dual between Achilles and Hector was one of the best sword fights ever filmed. Without getting into too many specifics, I will say that the portrayal of Patroclus was distorted, and the homo-erotic side of this story was completely ignored. Whether that was due to the unwillingness of the actors involved, or the director's unwillingness to venture down that road is unclear. The involvement of the gods was equally absent, though they are mentioned and considered somewhat important, though certainly not as important as they actually were. An attempt was made to portray the actual causes of the war, and in this Wolfgang succeeded. The intensity of Brad Pitt, though enjoyable, was not enough to save this movie from certain early death at the box office. His supporting cast seemed lifeless at times and with the exception of Hector and Paris might just as well not have showed up at all. The leading ladies were beautiful and in this performe
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Troy

Post by Nicator »

The leading ladies were beautiful and in this performed well. Peter O'toole performed within the confines of his role, but this wasn't enough. I think there was some really uninspired writing and acting in this film. On a four star scale, I'd give it a three. The sad truth is, that the success of this film may determine whether or not our genre continues to make it to the big screen. One flop, and the producers will be running back to the safety of pathetic human interest stories and dumb and dumber comedies. later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Nick,I saw "Troy" on Saturday. I agree with some of what you say and I was pleasantly surprised with Brad Pitt's performance. In some respects I don't have too many gripes with the way they handled the story, purely on the basis that it's myth... and I'll allow more latitude with myth than with history. Even the deaths of some of the people who shouldn't have died (at least not so early on in the film) didn't rankle too much.I have to take issue on one note, however - I thought Brian Cox, as Agamemnon, acted everyone else out of the water. His performance was exceptional.It was also nice to see Sean Bean still alive at the end of the film - one of the only films where his character has lasted until the credits, I think? All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I am girding my loins to see this next week but unlike Alexander the lack of homoeroticism between Achilles and Patroclos should not grate. The Classical Greeks made great play about it but in Homer's day it was an impaling offence. The Athenians re-interpreted the relationship to suit their social values, sort of Hollywoood re-write in the Agora.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

HiI haven't seen it yet, although if I can drag my other half there, I will. Regarding the homo-eroticism, when I read the Illiad, as a callow youth, I didn't pick up any homoeroticism between Achilles and Patroclus (well, not more than in Alias Smith and Jones, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid). Maybe now I would read it differently. But Achilles's reaction to the death of his friend, and therefore how he meets his fate, is pivotal to the story. It *is* the story. It is odd that this was chosen to be glossed over. It could have been done "straight", with great power. It was something that Hollywood used to do well, homo-eroticism. Loads of films are chaste love affairs between two men, even if women are involved. And the director is a German, for goodness sake. What went wrong??
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I don't think Achilles' reaction to Patroclus' death was 'glossed over' at all, in fact. If anything, what was perhaps not 'strong' enough was how hard-pressed the Greeks were, and therefore how much they needed Achilles... the danger to the ships and the Greek camp was not real enough - the Myrmidons, and Patroclus, arrived before the battle began, and Patroclus died too soon.You'll have to make up your own mind when you see it, I suppose. I should stop now, otherwise I'll be spoiling it for those who haven't seen the film. Apologies if I've already done so! (It's a fabulous film, IMHO, and well worth seeing)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Nicator1

Post by Nicator1 »

"I have to take issue on one note, however - I thought Brian Cox, as Agamemnon, acted everyone else out of the water. His performance was exceptional.It was also nice to see Sean Bean still alive at the end of the film - one of the only films where his character has lasted until the credits, I think?"Yes, I definitely agree with you. Brian Cox can play one character, and was well suited for this role. I saw him for the first time in one of my all time favorite movies "The Long Kiss Goodnight" with Samuel L. Jackson and Geena Davis. Which one was Sean Bean?How about that opening scene one-shot by Achilles on that giant (and for those of you who've not seen it yet he really was a giant...had to be the biggest man I've ever seen!)...totally awesome!!!