ATG

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

stavros

ATG

Post by stavros »

Can someone please explain to me why there are posts on this site that seem to explain the translation of a slavic word into english?
ie. an english word being derived from a slavic word?This (slavic) is not a language spoken by the ancient greeks and other ancient peoples (romans) and definately not a language spoken by ATG. Even the educated ancient Romans of the time spoke Greek as did the rest of the known world that ATG conquered. Jesus spoke Greek, the first testament was written in Greek? i just cannot comprehend reading false, misleading, confusing posts on slavic languages!Now, i have had my whinge for the day, thank you!stavros
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: ATG

Post by marcus »

Hi Stavros,These posts do turn up from time to time, don't they. I'd ignore them if I were you.I'm not sure we know that Jesus spoke Greek - it's more likely he spoke Hebrew and Aramaic. All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Regarding Jesus, that is my knowledge as well. Although Greek was widespread amongst the Jews at the time as a result of Alexander's conquest.But It was the Evangels (Gospels) that were written in Greek. Perhaps Stavros you're mixing the two...
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I'm assuming that the gospels were written in Greek because that was still the lingua franca of the east (despite the Roman hegemony) - Aramaic was a lingua franca, too, but not quite so franca as Greek, as it were.Of course, it's possible that Jesus could have spoken some Greek, and possibly some Latin, too ... but certainly not as his first language, and almost certainly not the language he preached in.Anyway, despite this, Stavros is absolutely right to question why we get these odd Slavic linguistic posts, which don't really appear to be making any sort of point.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
THE LIGHT 7000

Re: ATG- EVANGELS=EVE+ANGEL/S=LOOK AN ANGEL/S...IN MAKEDONIA

Post by THE LIGHT 7000 »

Hi, THE POINTGǪ.MY DEAR FRIENDS, GÇ£GǪHOW CAN I LIVE WITHOUT YOUGǪGÇ¥, NO IS NOT MICHAEL BOLTON, BUT ME, VASKO- THE LIGHT 7000GǪ, BUT I WILL TRY FROM TODAY, NO TEARS PLEASE!GǪSO BACK TO THE FUTURE AND THE QUESTION:- WHY FROM TIME TO TIME THERE ARE SOME MAKEDONIAN WORDS WHICH ARE EXPLAINING EVRYTHING- LITRARY, WITHOUT MACKING ARROUND,GǪ AND THAT IS THE POINT !!! -YES- JUST TO SHOW SOME GÇ£MAKEDONIAN GÇ¥ CONNECTION BETWEEN EAST AND WEST- INDIA AND CELTIC WORLD,GǪIN THAT SPIRIT IT WILL GIVE ANSWER ABOUT THE LANGUAGE OF ALEXANDER, BEFORE AND AFTER , IN THE SCOPE OF THIS FORUM. ONLY FOOLS ARE IGNORING SOMETHING SO PROFOUND, IF THEY ARE SEARCHING FOR TRUTHGǪIF THEY ARE FRUSTRATED BECAUSE AFTER GERMANY, NOW U.S.A. HAS RECOGNISED R. OF MAKEDONIA AS SUCH, SO FRUSTRATED GREEKS AND THEIR FRIENDS, -IF ANY LEFT, SHOULD KEEP THEIRS FRUSTRATION FOR THEM SELFS GǪ(IN THE GÇ£PRIVATE ROOMSGÇÖ)GǪ THEY THINK IF THEY ADD. IS/OS ..TO WORDS GÇôALL WILL BE GREEKS, HAHAHA!-GǪYES- JUST TO REMIND THE WORLD, NOT ONLY FEW CLONED HELLENS= GREEKS, WHAT WAS ONCE THE TRUE MEANING OF THE WORDS, WITHOUT DISTORING THEM, ,...SOEVANGELS= EVEANGELIE= EVE=HERE IT IS...+ ANGEL= LOOK+ AN ANGEL...,
HERUVIM= HERUIN= HEROGÇÖS= GODGÇÖS HEROGÇÖSGǪ
GOSPELS=GO+SPEA=HE SUNG THE GÇ£SONGGÇ¥GǪMAYBE YANNIS SHOULD LEARN THAT CLONE=KLONE=S/KLON= SIMULAR TO, BUT NOT IDENTICAL (BECAUSE OF EMOTIONAL AND SPIRITUAL LIFE...), BUT SLON=ELEPHANT!GǪGǪSO IF YOU ARE TALKING ALEXANDER OF MAKEDONIA, YOU SHOULD COUNT GÇô ALWAYS ON MAKEDONIANS AND MAKEDONIA,GǪ BECAUSE MAKEDONIA & THIS WORLD ARE COMING AS UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD OF MANGǪRISING LIKE FENIKS FROM ASHES!(AND PLEASE LIVE THE PEOPLE TALK ALEXANDER & MAKEDONIA, GǪ.AND PLEASE, HAVE A MERCY- GIVE ME A BREAKGǪ, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SOMETHING MORE CLEVER)!GǪ.THE LIGHT 7000
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: ATG- EVANGELS=EVE+ANGEL/S=LOOK AN ANGEL/S...IN MAKEDONIA

Post by yiannis »

Dear Vasko, our lives would be empty without you :-)So, as you say: EVANGELS= EVEANGELIE= EVE=HERE IT IS...+ ANGEL= LOOK+ AN ANGEL..., Angelos is a Greek word meaning "messenger" (from Angelia=message)and Eu is another Greek word meaning "good" or "beautifull", so Evangelos or Evangel = Good News.
Gospel is the exact translation of Evangel into English.
The so called "Macedonian" words that you refer to, are of course the same words in Bulgarian, Serbian, Russian, Polish etc. so probably all these people speak "Macedonian" according to your "logic". (Ooops! another "Macedonian" word :-)When it comes to the other part of your response I wont bother to comment, partly because "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" and mostly because most of it is incomprehensible.
stavros

Post by stavros »

hi Marcus/Yiannisi try to, however i find reading them very annoying. reading that the english language is derived from a slavic dialect is a bit too much. as far as jesus goes, i was probably referring to the greek language spoken during his era as a widely spoken language. hence, thinking he probably knew the language quite well.kind regards,stavros
Slavonic

Post by Slavonic »

Okay, First off... Vasko's post is a joke. I won't respond because I'd have to reduce my intellect, to the level of 2nd grader, to make any sense of what he's written. I'd like to interject some of my own thoughts about this topic. First... lets get to my own personal bias on the issue... My family descends from the Sar Mountain range, currently found within the country FYROM. I'd like to point out to many of you, that when you say modern Macedonian is really comprised of Bulgarians, you're not exactly correct. Yes, today's "Macedonian" language is Slavic, but there are various dialects. For example, for those of us in the North and Northeast (Tetovo, Skopje and Kumanovo), our language is closer to Serbian, in fact, better to say "Old Serbian". I've discussed this matter with the linguist at NYU in New York City and he has studied the language in North Macedonia and says it is almost identical to the language spoken by Tsar Dusan in the 14th century (Great Serbian King). While I agree with many of you, that modern Macedonia is "chalk full o' Bulgarians", they are not the exclusive "Slavs" in the region. Many of us are Serbs, know that we are Serbs and reject any and all notions of a "modern Macedonia". You see, what the communists did in Yugoslavia was very interesting. They wanted to weaken the Serbian majority. One of the things which happened in areas like the Sar region is that families which are Serbian, had Serbian roots, Serbian blood lines and most importantly, Serbian names, were FORCED by the goverment to change their names and begin a "modern Macedonian" education. So, in Mr. Najdovski's case, his family name would have probably been something like Najdic or Najdov (if Bulgarian) and the government forced his family to change it to Najdovski. Simultaneously, the fictional republic of Macedonia was created, along with the fictional language. Over time, many Serbs (in the North) actually started to tow the government line and now, in the North, many Serbian families actually call themselves "Macedonian". Despicable, yes, but true. Let me give you a quick story about my wife. Her maiden name was "Stojanovski". On a trip "back home", I did some investigating and found government land and birth records, which proved her Grandfather's last name was Stojanovic (Serbian) in 1944. After 1951, every record indicated his name was changed to "Stojanovski". Furthermore, certain