Happy birthday ! Time machine?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thalestris

Re: Happy birthday ! Time machine?

Post by Thalestris »

Well, hmmm...four weeks in ATG time; I'd spend one week at Mieza to learn along with Alex and his companions; one week in Illyria while he was in exile; one week in Tyre to witness the mote construction; one week in Zadrakarta. Yep, that would make me happy, but I'd have to go back as a male.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hello, If you look on my website, you will see a story I wrote (prev. published in the Montreal Gazette) which began at the monument of Alex. riding Bucephelas in Thessaloniki. I was touched to find, as it was his birthday, that there was a wreath placed at the base. In fact, I had brought flowers there myself in his memory.The time travel? I'd like to have been there to see the 'men with eagle's wings' scale the Soghdian Rock, and then for the wedding that happened later between Alexander and Roxane.
John

Post by John »

Why would you have to go back as a male? Alexander didn't mind having females around him, even "crazy" ones. Like that one everyone else thought was crazy, Alexander thought was divinely inspired, and let her hang around - even let her watch over him while he slept. I think she even saved his life one time, through a warning.John
nick

Post by nick »

That is another great answer, Ruth. Yes, I would like to have glimpse of Roxane too.Regards -
Nick
Stavros

Post by Stavros »

Hi Nickthanks for pointing that out to me.in and around the time Alexander faced Darius' army at Gaugamela, focusing on ATG's strategic desicions in preparing his men and army for battle. From my knowledge ATG faced an army of Persians that far outnumbered the Greeks at Gaugamela. Knowing the enemy and its size, the decisions ATG made in charging the enemy and defeating them would be of most interest to me and of course eyewitnessing Darius run for the hills.Stavros
nick

Post by nick »

Thanks Stavros - this is valuable information. Thanks for following this up.Regards -
Nick
susa

Post by susa »

That's it, John, you smart guy - the conspirators. But not really at Zadrakarta [am i writting this right?] At Susa, i guess.susa
John

Post by John »

Maybe if you were at Ekbatana some months earlier, you could have saved Hephaistion, tooJohn
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I'd also like to have been around during the days before Alexander's death, to observe the suspicious actions of Kassandros and his brother, Alexander's cup-bearer Ioallas. And also the days after his death when the Persian princesses were murdered on the road to Babylon. Although the modern medical profession insists Alex. died of typhoid, when I posed the question to the Secretary of the Society of Macedonian Studies a few years back, she agreed with the theory that his death was 'hastened by malice' (i.e. tainted water that worsened his condition. And possiblity administered when his wine was mixed. Because he had enemies in the court.) Anyway, I hint at the poison theory in my novel because of that discussion with the Professor.
Who Really knows anyway? It's all speculation. So in writing historical fiction I can use my poetic license to spin a really good tale.(Careful, of course,to keep the recorded historical facts straight!)
susa

Post by susa »

I am sooo stupid! Where the hell did i get this Zadrakarta thing? Ach.... i meant Babylon, not Zadrakarta!!
As for Hephaistion...hummm...i think he was able to take care of himself.susa
John

Post by John »

Take care of himself?! He can't even make a Happy Birthday post for Alexander without it getting deleted!John
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Hi Nick!
Great idea. But it's very hard to choose. It would be great to see Issos, Gaugamela and Hydaspes,. Very interesting personally for me would be to see what happened in Malls city in India when he Fought alone (?) or with Peukestes - depending on the account.Also I'd like to see explenation of Philotas folt or Kleitos deth. Many other issues are very interesting. If I could choose only four weeks so it would be his alone (with Peukestes) because every source aproof it in diferent way but it seems to be fantastic battle. Maciek
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Oh I have to say that now my birth date has new meaning since I found that he was born around 20th of July. I was born - 19th of July and I strongly belive that he was too. Fantastic coincidence.Maciek
sandra

Post by sandra »

Well, just a wonderful idea, Nick!:) I would be happy if I could spend some weeks in 330 BC during invesion in Afganistan. Death of Bessus, Philotas, Roxana.... Any of those events:)
manny

Re: Siwah to Alexandria

Post by manny »

Travel itinerary:I'd like to be beamed down on the rooftop of the temple at Siwah on the day Alexander arrives for his oracle please. About three hours before so I could put something on that's suited to the occasion. I'd be some eager eunuch busybody in a corner who got a whiff of a rumor about "the great liberator" (by Ammon I swear I loathe my former masters, those haughty, arrogant Persians!) coming over to have his divine fortune told. Man, what a sucker this guy is, but I suppose at that time everybody was. Plus they all tell me he's cute so, well, there you go. And then I'd like to go with his party and proceed to that place where he drew the construction plans for the future city of Alexandria. This would be Alexander at his engineering/architechtural best. That's Ptolemy over there listening and taking notes like a hawk. Were there games and parties during this time? I'd like to take a tour of the Egyptian countryside as well, experience Egypt in the reign of the last Egyptian pharoah, as the Greeks are taking over. And oh, I want to see Memphis and Thebes, please. And yes, pass by the Giza plateau to see how much of Cheops' pyramid paint is still on. I don't remember coming accross the sources if Alexander got a tour of the Nile, but I sure would love to take a cruise with him down there to view the crocodiles. That's me in full eunuch costume nervously serving drinks and stuff. Under heavy guard, I suppose. Lest they discover that the wine is spiked with cocaine (from the Phoenician traders, those damn drug dealers!). If there's also a way to eavesdrop on his conversations, I want to find out how much he knows of Arabia this near the area physically and this early in the timeline. Please arrange it so I am never in the same room/tent/temple with Hephaistion at daytime. Only on the last night of the forth week do I take out my digital cam (on my ring) do I want to take a picture of him and Alexander in bed. 10X zoom lens, 10 minutes onboard memory card, hi res. Medium not affected by travel back to the present. The most valuable piece of historical footage ever, people. and it's rated X.Trapped in the doldrums of Asia
Manny Espinola