THESSALONIKI

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

HEPHAISTION

THESSALONIKI

Post by HEPHAISTION »

DON' T FORGET THAT THESSALONIKI WAS BUILT BY KASSANDROS, THE HUSBAND OF ALEXANDER'S SISTER THESSALONIKI. PHILLIP GAVE THAT NAME TO HIS DAUGHTER AFTER HIS VICTORI AGAINST THESSALY. NIKH(NIKI)IN GREEK MEANS VICTORY SO THESSALONIKI MEANS VICTORY AGAINST THESSALY.HEPHAISTION (FOR JOHN:+ç+û+ü+ë+ô+ö+ë+Ö+ì)
John

Re: THESSALONIKI

Post by John »

Hephaistion,Keep trying!Kasandros RENAMED Thessalonika Kasandreia.
John

Please avoid the use of CAPITALS

Post by moderator »

HephaistionPlease avoid the use of capitals in your posts. This is commonly thought of as "shouting" and is not good "netiquette".Best regardsForum moderator.
John

You're right!

Post by John »

OK, pal, you're right. Thessalonika WAS founded by Kasandros. It was Potidaia that he renamed Kasandreia. My mistake.John
HEPHAISTION

Post by HEPHAISTION »

JOHN,
KASSANDROS RENAMED THERMI THESSALONIKI.HEPHAISTION
HEPHAISTION

Post by HEPHAISTION »

PROOF:THESSALONIKI'S SEA STIL IS CALLED THERMAIKOS.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Well thanks for that little bit of info! Thessaloniki figures as a 'bit player' in these last few chapters of my novel. I hadn't given any thought about where her name came from! ruthaki
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thessaloniki was a spinster and part of Kassandros ploy to seize the throne was to offer her a marriage deal. He'd name a city after her if she'd marry him. As she hated Olympias she went for it. Neither her life nor that of Kassandros' ended very happily. A disfunctional family if there ever was one!