Historical Consultant on Netflix’s ‘Alexander: The Making of a God’

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sweetmemory41
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Historical Consultant on Netflix’s ‘Alexander: The Making of a God’

Post by Sweetmemory41 »

Congrats to our own Dr. Reames for her work as the historical consultant of the Netflix series. Here’s the press release from her university on this - https://www.unomaha.edu/news/2024/01/un ... -a-god.php

The series is currently number 2 not only in the U.S., but also in the world! Congrats on its huge success! I hope that it means that there will be a part II of the series in the future.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Historical Consultant on Netflix’s ‘Alexander: The Making of a God’

Post by Alexias »

Ah, I thought Alexander and Hephaestion kissing in a swimming pool was familiar!
Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Historical Consultant on Netflix’s ‘Alexander: The Making of a God’

Post by Jeanne Reames »

The pool scene owes nothing to me. I didn't write the scripts. That was in the script before I ever saw it.

Historical consultants have very specific jobs, and script-writing isn't included. :wink:

But thanks. There are obviously various errors. And to be clear, I was never shown any design boards for costumes, or sets. I only saw and commented on episode summaries (called beats), then on the scripts themselves. I had no input from filming on. All after-filming reviews were done by Lloyd or maybe Carolyn.

They asked me to do them RIGHT in the middle of Finals week (wanted them the day after finals were due, in a super-busy semester). It was just impossible for me to meet their deadlines. They graciously allowed me to withdraw and brought on a different person/people. Lucy knew Lloyd and said she'd contact him, so I assume that's who looked at it. But Carolyn is also in the credits as an advisor, not just an interviewed expert. I'll have to ask her she was also roped in, but maybe so. That said, there's only so much you can do after the filming. No historical consultants were on-set during filming, as far as I know.

First rule of consulting: Not your story, not your vision. I gave them the best advice I could, they took some, they ignored some, but it's their show. All choices to accept advice were, in the end, with the showrunner and production team.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html