Malaysian Annals

This forum is a copy of a site that contained Alexander source material compiled, and in some cases translated, by pothos members. The original site has now disappeared but the material is reproduced here to preserve it.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Malaysian Annals

Post by Alexias »

When Raja Iskandar, the Two-Horned, son of Raja Darab, a Roman of the country of Macedonia, set out to visit the East, he came to the frontier of India. Now there was a certain Raja, by name Raja Kida Hindi, whose kingdom was so vast that he held sway over half of all India. When he heard of the coming of Raja Iskandar he bade his chief minister assemble his forces and the princes who were his vassals. And when they were gathered together Raja Kida Hindi went out to repel Raja Iskandar. And the two armies met and battle was joined, as is related in the Hikayat Iskandar. And Raja Kida Hindi was defeated by Raja Iskandar and was captured alive, whereupon Raja Iskandar ordered him to accept the true faith. And he did so and became a Muhammadan, embracing the religion of Abraham, the chosen friend of God (on Him be peace). Raja Iskandar then presented him with robes of honour, raiment such as he wore himself, and bade him return to his own country.

Now Raja Kida Hindi had a daughter, Shahru’l-Bariyah by name, whose beauty was such that she had no peer at that time: brilliant as the light of the sun was the light of her countenance, and she was endowed moreover with great wisdom and understanding. Calling his chief minister to a place where they would be alone, Raja Kida Hindi said to him, “ I would have you know that I have called you to ask for your advice. This daughter of mine who hath no peer among the princesses of this time – it is my purpose to offer her to Raja Iskandar. What think you?” And the chief minister answered, “ What your Highness proposes is entirely right and proper.” Raja Kida Hindi then said to his chief minister, ” So be it, please God. Tomorrow you go to Nabi Khidlir and tell him of the matter.” So the minister went to Nabi Khidlir and when he had gone, Raja Kida Hindi gave orders for the name of Raja Iskandar to be inscribed on the die of his coins and on his pennons. And when the minister came to Nabi Khidlir he gave him greeting, and the greeting was returned by Nabi Khidlir, who bade him be seated. Then said the chief minister to Nabi Khidlir, “ I would have you know, sir, that the Raja whom I serve entertains for Raja Iskandar such affection as no words of mine can describe. And he has a daughter of whom it may be said that from East to West no princess can rival her. In beauty, intelligence and disposition she has no equal: and it is his desire to offer her to be the consort of Raja Iskandar.”

History then relates that Nabi Khidlir went forthwith to Raja Iskandar and related the matter to him. Raja Iskandar signified his assent; whereafter he went forth to the hall of audience, where he gave audience to princes, divines and theologians, chiefs, warriors and men of valour, gathered around the throne, whilst behind the king were his chosen retainers and trusted henchmen. Raja Kida Hindi too was present before the king, seated on a jewelled chair of gold. After all had been seated awhile Nabi Khidlir, (on him be peace) rose to his feet, And after invoking the name of God almighty and asking for the blessing of the Prophet Abraham, the Chosen friend of God, and all the prophets of ancient times, he read the marriage formula for Raja Iskandar, making a sign to Raja Kida Hindi where the words related to him. Thus said Nabi Khidlir, “Be it known to you, Raja Kida Hindi, that it is to our Raja here present that God Almighty has delivered the lordship over the whole earth from East to West, from North to South. Now it has come to his knowledge that you have a daughter of surpassing beauty, and he would fain ask that you, Raja Kida Hindi, should regard him favourably and accept him as your son-in-law, so that your descendants may be connected with the descendants of Raja Iskandar without a break until the Day of Judgement. What say you? Do you assent or not?”. History then relates that when Raja Kida Hindi heard the words of Nabi Khidlir, he rose form his chair and stood upon the ground: whereupon he did obeisance to Raja Iskandar and said, “ Be it known to your highness and to all here present, by the Prophet of God, that I am in very truth the slave of Raja Iskandar, as are all my children: we are not even as the followers here that serve his needs. Verily it is Nabi Khidlir who is guardian for myself and for my daughter, Princess Shahru’l-Bariyah.” When Nabi Khidlir heard these words of Raja Kida Hindi, he turned toward Raja Iskandar and said,” Verily have I given Princess Shahru’l-Bariyah in marriage to R aja Iskandar, the dowry that shall be paid by him to be three hundred thousand dinar. Do you consent?” And when Raja Iskandar signified his consent, the daughter of Raja Kida Hindi was duly wedded by Nabi Khidlir to Raja Iskandar following the ordinance of the Prophet Abraham (the Chosen Friend of God) in the presence of all those aforesaid. Then rose princes, chiefs, ministers, warchiefs, theologians, divines and jurists, and strewed gold, silver, gems and precious stones of every kind at the feet of Raja Iskandar, until gold and precious stones stood before him in heaps like so many anthills. All this treasure was distributed as alms to the poor and needy.

When night fell, Raja Kida Hindi brought his daughter to Raja Iskandar with all that she possessed, together with manifold precious stones that were heirlooms from her forebears, all of which Raja Kida Hindi made over to her for her use. And that night Raja Iskandar ascended the bridal dais; and he was astonished at the beauty of Princess Shahru’l-Bariyah which surpassed all description. On the following day Raja Iskandar gave Princess Shahru’l-Bariyah robes of honour complete with royal insignia and bestowed upon her jewellery past all counting, whilst to the princes he gave robes of honour with ornaments of rich distinction, all of them of gold studded with every sort of gem, the content of three treasure chests. And to Raja Kida Hindi he gave robes of honour (together with) a hundred golden caskets filled with precious stones and rich gems, and a hundred picked horses with trappings of gold studded with every sort of gem, so that beholders were astonished to look upon them.

Raja Iskandar then stayed for ten days, and on the eleventh day he departed with traditional ceremony taking with him, the princess, daughter of Raja Kida Hindi. He then set forth for the East, as is related in the famous history. After a time he returned from his visit to the East and stopped on his way in India, where Raja Kida Hindi went out to meet him, bearing presents of precious stones and rare jewels. Raja Hindi then told Raja Iskandar how sorely he had missed him and of his devotion to him which no words could describe. He told him too how sorely he had missed his daughter Princess Shahru’l-Bariyah, and asked that Raja Iskandar would restore her to him. Raja Iskandar then graciously gave Princess Shahru’l-Bariyah back to her father, at the same time bestowing upon her a hundred silken robes of honour together with gold, silver and precious stones, and magnificent gems without number. Raja Kida Hindi then did obeisance to Raja Iskandar, who presented him with a hundred silken robes of honour that he had himself worn.

Thereupon the signal-drum was beaten and the trumpet blown, betokening Raja Iskandar's departure. And Raja Iskandar took his departure, with traditional ceremony, on his mission to bring under his suzerainty all Rajas who had not yet acknowledged it, as history relates. God knoweth the truth. To Him do we return.

Now, according to the account we have received, Princess Shahru’l-Bariyah, daughter of Raja Kida Hindi, was with child by Raja Iskandar, but neither did Raja Iskandar know of this nor was the Princess herself aware of her pregnancy. But when a month had passed after her return to her father, she realised that she was with child by Raja Iskandar as she did not menstruate. And she informed her father, saying, “ I would have you know, father, that I have had no menses now for two months.” When Raja Kida Hindi heard the words of his daughter, he was delighted that she was with child by Raja Iskandar and he lavished due care upon her. And when the time was accomplished, princess Shahru’l-Bariyah brought firth a son. And Raja Kida Hindi gave to his grandson the name Raja Aristun Shah (Son of a Great King) and great was his affection for the child. In due course Aristun Shah grew up to be an exceedingly handsome youth, the image of his father, Raja Iskandar Dzu’l-Karnain, and was betrothed by Raja Kida Hindi to the daughter of the Raja of Turkistan. By her Raja Aristun Shah had a son whom he called Raja Aftas.

Forty-five years after the return of Raja Iskandar to Macedonia, Raja Kida Hindi returned to God’s mercy, and was succeeded as ruler of India by his grandson Raja Aristun, who reigned three hundred and fifty-five years before he left this world to go to the world that abideth. He was succeeded by his son Raja Aftas, who ruled over India for one hundred and twenty years and on his death was succeeded by Raja Askainat, who reigned for three years. On the death of Raja Askainat, the throne passed to Raja Kasdas, who reigned for twelve years and was succeeded on his death by his younger brother Raja Ambutas who reigned for thirteen years. When he died, Raja Heruwaskainan came to the throne and reigned for thirty years. On his death Raja Arahadaskainat came to the throne and reigned for nine years, to be succeeded on his death by. Raja Gudarz Kuhan, son of Raja Ambutas, who reigned for seventy years. On his death Raja Nikabus Ashkabus came to the throne and he reigned for fifty years. After that Raja Ardashir-I Papagan, son of Raja Gudarz Kuhan, came to the throne. He married a daughter of Raja Nushirwan ‘Adil, Raja of East and West, and by her he had a son named Derma Nus. After he had attained the age of a hundred Raja Ardashir-i Papagan died and was succeeded by his son Deria (sic) Nus who reigned for ninety years and was succeeded by Raja Kestah. He reigned for four months and was succeeded on his death by Raja Ramji, who reigned for twnety0two years and nine months. When he died, Raja Shah Tersi became king. He was the son of Raja Derma Nus and reigned for twenty-eight years, to be succeeded on his death by Raja Teja who reigned for thirty years. On his death Raja Ajakar came to the throne and reigned for ten years. When he died Raja Hurmizd, son of Raja Shah Nahsi ( Tersi?) became king and reigned for one hundred and twenty-six years. After that Raja Yazdifgird came to the throne and reigned for sixty-two years and four months, to be succeeded on his death by Raja Kupi Kudar, who reigned for sixty-three years . The next king was Raja Narsi Biradarash, son of Raja Zimrut, grandson of Raja Shah Narsi ( Tersi?), great-grandson of Raja Deria (Derma) Nus, great-great-grandson of Raja Ardashiri-I Papagan, who was the son of Raja Gudarz Kuhan, grandson of Raja Ambutas, great grandson of Raja Sabur, great-great-grandson of Raja Aftas, the son of Raja Aristun Shah who was the son of Raja Iskandar Dzu’l-Karnain.

Naris Baradar-ash married a daughter of Raja Amdan Nagara, by whom he had two sons Kudar Shah Jahan and Raja Suran Padshah, both of them exceedingly handsome.

God knoweth the truth; to Him do we return.

Source and translator not known

Hikayat Iskandar Zulkarnain is a Malay epic describing fictional exploits of Alexander the Great (Iskandar), identified with Dhu al-Qarnayn (Zulkarnain), a king briefly mentioned in the Quran. (Wikepidia)