"Fire from heaven"

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

anamarija

"Fire from heaven"

Post by anamarija »

has anyone here read it?I've just started it and I love it.Anamarija
Sandra
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Fire from Heaven

Post by Sandra »

Respond- hmm, You can look at the Books corner- there is a quite good review of it!
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Fire from Heaven

Post by dean »

Hello, I have read this book several times and find it is about as good as it gets in Alexander literature.I would also like to recommend to you the second in the trilogy- The Persian Boy- it is on a very similar level.I have to admit that Alexander is always the English gentleman in the book which may or may not be true. (Probably not true) but nevertheless I think that Renault's historical knowledge, coupled with her ability to write good books makes her nearly as flawless as the Alexander she writes about.I am sure in a few centuries people will talk about Fire from Heaven as we now talk about Homer and the Iliad.Take Care and enjoy your reading,
Dean.
anamarija

Post by anamarija »

I heard of "The Bersion Boy" but from what I hear Bagoas has taken Hephaestions role there which seems highly unlikely to me-is Hepheastion even in the book?Anamarija
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I can see why you might have heard that, but it's not strictly true. Hephaistion is indeed in the book, and there is quite a lot about Bagoas' strained relationship with Hephaistion.It's not so much to say that Bagoas "takes over" Hephaistion's role - but of course Bagoas is only treated fairly cursorily in those sources where he is mentioned at all, and Renault built up his character and important based on the little we know. She wasn't necessarily incorrect, but is was supposition.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Pam

Post by Pam »

Also, Bagoas is mostly a fictional character designed to narrate the story and tie the Persian nobility to Alexander in order to justify some of Alexander's actions. Bagoas is portrayed first as a sexual gift and later as a trusted servant; onthe other hand, Hephaestion is always "Alexander also" in spite of the jealousy portrayed by Bagoas, Ms. Renault leaves enough room for thereader to choose either of these as Alexander's primary focus.Do read it...it's good, and the end is very moving.
When you are ready to move beyond Alexander, Last of the Wine and Mask of Apollo are also good with interesting little ties to Alexander.
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

I think Renault, in the end, gives Hephaestion his place as Alexander's "primary focus". Renault believed Alexander and Hephaestion were lovers until Hephaestion's death, as she says so in "The Nature of Alexander". However, you are never quite sure what Alexander's relationship with Hephaestion is, as it is behind closed doors, and Bagoas is necessarily partial.I found it a little sad, after Fire from Heaven, that we don't see more of Alexander and Hephaestion, but maybe that is because Renault was happier portraying adolescent gay men rather than adult relationships. Last of the Wine is done from a young man's perspective as well (although Alexias does mature more than Bagoas, the eternal boy, does).Linda