The Godless Man by Paul Doherty

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

The Godless Man by Paul Doherty

Post by jan »

This is not a review but a recommendation of The Godless Man. I have read two of Doherty's imagination at work creations, and enjoyed his ability to create great imagery. At the end of his tale he describes Alexander as a chameleon. I especially enjoy the manner in which Paul has Alexander using cleverness and cunning to succeed in his meeting all his challenges.I am halfway into Sands of Ammon by Manfredi. Having finished Child of a Dream, which set me on first alert, I am continuing to read Manfredi's imagination at work. His storyline does at least introduce a rather gentle and kind approach to the life of Alexander. Doherty is rough and tumble.It is all a matter of taste, but as Manfredi has introduced the character of Queen Caria who has adopted Alexander as her own son, I would appreciate any information regarding this strange lover of pastries.Thanks for the information.
John

Re: The Godless Man by Paul Doherty

Post by John »

Right. Alexander let a woman rule over men (something Antipater wouldn't put up with from Olympias).He wasn't taken by her pastries, though, since he (as he explained) had his own way of making his meals taste good: he used a nightmarch for his coming breakfast, and a light breakfast for the coming dinner. Credit going to Leonidas his tutor.John
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks, John, for that. I wondered about its historical accuracy as I see no good reason to just tuck this little anecdote in this book. I finished reading it last evening, and will eventually begin the end of the trilogy, AlexanderIII, I guess.I have not fallen in love with the series so far either, but it is a means of chronicling the journey of ATG and his companions for beginners. It is a basis for a screenwriter I suspect to conjure up a movie, but I saw no good reason for including Ada unless it were a piece of history. She wanted to be the good mother, and it seems that he did not really want her generous contributions at one time but later really came to appreciate her continued interest in him and his troops. I thought it only proved his reputation had penetrated into more than just the enemie's camps.at any rate, I finally finished reading the book and found it growing only worse and worse with each chapter. Finally, the section in which the description of the skinning of the young man who is also castrated and hung with his balls hanging around his neck reminded me of modern day Afghanisitan where the same kind of torture does go on, I thought that perhaps Manfredi is incorporating present tortures with yesterday's stories, proving that the problems in Afghanistan are still the same as in Alexander's days. I guess Daniel Pearl got off lucky, being only capitated in Pakistan. I have read that they use the rod today the same as they had in Alexander's time, so I found the book Sands of Ammon relevant to today's ongoing war.Thanks for the info about the cuisine of the times for Alexander. He explained that also when he sent the pastries back to Ada, but later was grateful when she came through for him by carrying them to him at another battle. I simply wonder at where he obtained his info about this interesting woman.Have you got a problem with the number of women who influenced Alexander? And I wonder about the accuracy regarding Barsine in this story as well.
John

Post by John »

Why would I have a problem with the number of women who influenced Alexander? Do you have a problem with the number of women Alexander influenced?Barsine? I give her points for offing her husband (who was a pain in the neck to Alexander). - Of course Barsine was rewarded by Alexander for her good work - with a child, even, named Hercules, I think.Or did the gods kill Memnon for Barsine, Barsine having nothing to do with such dirty deeds? How can you ever really know, unless you go back in time, like you brag about doing?John
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi JOhn,So good to hear from you. Does it sound like bragging? I am so sorry to have it come off like that. It simply was a Happening. I dozed off to sleep, and found myself in this situation in which I was talking aloud as usual, (I am often quite verbose) and am able to recall upon awakening what had happened. It was only due to the tunics and the amount of flesh and the color of the hair that I realized what had been going on.When I read Arthur Weigalls book on Alexander, I was struck at how much alike Alexander and I are in personality and moods and actions, and I thought at one point, that he would have to do such and such an act to be really like me. It turns out he did. So I was not very impressed with being like this what some would consider a Mad King, as I find him rather frightening and fearful. He is quite a natural born killer as they like to say.But when I admitted to being Alexander in a stateof exasperation and resignation, that evening, FEb. 24 to be exact, I was dozing off in early evening and found myself exhorting these massive troops of men, who were hairy legged, bowing and respectful, as I believe we resembled a prayerful meeting, and I was so involved that I could see the surrounding territory. IN such experiences the astral body does leave the apparent memory within the soul and returns to the present, being able to take in all the physical properties. If it were a piece of celluloid for a film, one has been in a series of events like that, and then departs, leaving the celluloid intact. I believe the scenario is still intact in some region of the soul. These kind of experiences teach me what soul is.The point is that had I not resigned myself and accepted it,I probably would not have been able to undergo the experience. The act of the experience gave me comprehension of the vitality and energy which is part of the character and personality of Alexander. I am myself today, reliving an experience of a character of times past. I do admit that it has caused an energy burst within me, and has made my hair wave and curl in a look that is only due to the natural intent of my own brown colored natural hair. My hair has a mind of its own. But for this past week, it has looked like the locks of Alexander.What does this do for me? Makes me realize why and how I have been such a female version of Alexandria this time round, and I thus understand some of the interest in me from the Hollywood sector.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

JOhn,Secondly, I know little about Barsine except what I am reading in Manfredi's book, Sands of Ammon, and now Ends of the Earth. I like Manfredi's concept of Barsine, and Memnon, her husband. I wonder about the children.Nothing about Alexander and his influences impact me much. I wonder about his relationship to Hephaestion.The episode with Bucephalus reminds me of an episode I had in Morenci,Mi. when I was a student at Michigan State. Seeing pictures of Bucephalus reminds me of how I dealt with a horse that was running after me during a time when I had my menstrual period and thought that was what attracted him to me. I simply had to escape him in my own way, as I had not the same way with horses that Alexander did. I was frankly petrified that this horse was going to come down on me, and I walked carefully, and mentally kept trying to tame him so that I could avoid becoming a victim. I was alone, and very frightened to say the least. Fortunately, my will power kept the horse and I from colliding and I made my way to a barrier where I was safe. But he reared up on his legs so as to scare the daylights out of me.I think it odd that my relationship to horses has always remained at a distance, after supposedly having been such a great horseman. Yet horses appear to love me and to respond to me at the horse tracks where I became a horselover.But in a regression in which I found myself on a horse, I did realize what it is like to be a horseman. In this lifetime, I only watch and bet.Hopefully, this is only for the purposes of enlightenment, not braggadocia. I found that to have been possibly an Alexander not exactly a highly desirable person to have been. It was only through that return to the battle of Issus I learned not to be afraid of him. But he is a powerful personality, and I love his energy that burns within him. It has revitalized me, and I am in need of revitalization! Thank you. Remember, I am 64 years old this month!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi JOhn,I am having a bit of fun here, but Barsine reminds me of my first real romantic love, a bartender by the name of Jim. LOLO:-) I wonder if someone did not really just set me up at times! At that time I wore Arpege, but the accompanying perfume was named My Sin. French, of course!Just for more strange facts to think about!Jan