Hephaistion's pyre question

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Hephaistion's pyre question

Post by Taphoi »

Xenophon wrote:We can certainly put to bed any idea that the funeral pyre described by Diodorus at XVII.115 is anything other than fiction. The dimensions he gives are simply impossible.
The Great Buddha Hall (below) in Japan is made of wood, is comparable in scale with Hephaistion's pyre and is 30% smaller than the structure it replaced, when its preceding version was destroyed by fire several centuries ago. It also supports the weight of a massive roof, which would not have been required for the pyre. Furthermore the 'Odate Jukai Dome' is about the same height and breadth as Hephaistion's pyre and built of wood (below). As a scientist and engineer myself I am happy to to assure you that your guess on the maximum size of a wooden structure is quite mistaken.

Xenophon wrote:* One of Alexander's last acts was to order the remains of the ziggurat to be cleared, with a view to rebuilding it. It took the army over 2 months just to clear the site, and assemble some of the building materials needed - less than one quarter the area of the proposed 'pyre'. Work ceased on Alexander's death, never to be resumed.
Alexander had six months to construct the pyre between November 324BC and May 323BC.
agesilaos wrote:A quick look at LSJ shows that 'pyra' is used for the mound over the site of the pyre not a monument such as is implied by the monstrous cost of Hephaistion's which would be a 'taphos' which is what Plutarch calls it at 72.iii.
As can be seen below, dictionary entries give the translation of tomb for pyra. The distinction between a mound in earth/rubble and a mound in stone is anyway arbitrary. The Greeks had many words for a tomb (taphos, pyra. mnema, sema...), just as we do, which they did not use with absolute precision, just as we don't.
Pyra means a tomb on the site of the pyre as well as the pyre itself.
Pyra means a tomb on the site of the pyre as well as the pyre itself.
pyra.jpg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
We may therefore happily conclude that not only is the account in the ancient sources perfectly self-consistent, it is also perfectly practicable, likely even. :D It is tragic that the same cannot be said of modern speculation on the matter, which seems usually to be based on instinct rather than evidence or facts. :cry:
Best wishes,
Andrew
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Taphoi wrote:The Great Buddha Hall (below) in Japan is made of wood, is comparable in scale with Hephaistion's pyre and is 30% smaller than the structure it replaced, when its preceding version was destroyed by fire several centuries ago. It also supports the weight of a massive roof, which would not have been required for the pyre. Furthermore the 'Odate Jukai Dome' is about the same height and breadth as Hephaistion's pyre and built of wood (below). As a scientist and engineer myself I am happy to to assure you that your guess on the maximum size of a wooden structure is quite mistaken.
Some information on the Daibutsuden or Diabutsu (The Great Buddha Hall).

First there's this site on the original building.
Todaiji Temple (in Nara Park, 20 minutes by foot from Nara Station) was built in 741 by the Emperor Shomu to be the central temple of all provincial temples established in Japan. …
According to Kanshu Tsutsui, the chief administrator of Todaji, to build such a large statue and buildings, workers had to dig down 2.5 meters over a 90 meters by 60 meter area—larger than a football field—to find firm ground. The concrete-like layers of clay, ballast and sand placed on the firm ground were similar that layers below the Great Wall of China. After completing the 2.5-meter-high platform craftsmen made a mold to cast the Buddha statue. After the casting was done then the columns were raised for the building. The platform as well was the statue from the knees down are filled with sand. These parts survived the fire that brought down the original buildings.
According to Todaji records 1.6 million people were employed to construct the original Daibutsu wood building and more than half million worked on gold plating the bronze statue. About 500 tons of copper and 8.5 tons of tin was used to cast the original Buddha and 440 kilograms of gold and 2.5 tons of mercury were used to plate the statue using a technique in which the gold was mixed with mercury at a ratio of 1 to 5 and placed on the statue and heated so the mercury evaporated away leaving the gold. The work was done relatively quickly so the construction could be completed in time for the 200th anniversary of the introduction of Buddhism to Japan in 752.
Then this site with info on a later and smaller reconstruction which took nine years.
The Diabutsuden as it survived into the early Meiji period had itself been rebuilt under Tokugawa patronage between 1688 and 1707
So, we have ten/eleven years with 1.6 million people working on the original building and nine years to complete the smaller reconstruction. (Yes, I know 1.6 million might seem like an exaggeration, but it IS recorded as a fact in the Todaiji records and if I were to question it then wouldn't that be "modern speculation on the matter, which seems usually to be based on instinct rather than evidence or facts"?) Anyway, to give a comparison with the building of the pyre, you say that:
Taphoi wrote:Alexander had six months to construct the pyre between November 324BC and May 323BC.
I have a copy of the print of the recreation of the plans for Hephaistion's "pyre", according to the record in Diodorus, but I don't intend to take it out of the frame so I'll use the one from your site.

Only six months to build this compared with how long it took to build the Daibutsu? Even without the tiles on the roof and the extra support which was needed for the Daibutsu I can't see the comparison as realistic. Plus, by your estimate, Hephaistion's pyre was burnt along with his body within a few weeks of Alexander taking ill and dying? And not one historian noted that Hephaistion's spectacular funeral was so close to Alexander's death? Must be my modern speculation based on instinct again, but I'm not buying it. IMO, this was a tomb/monument, not a pyre.
Taphoi wrote:We may therefore happily conclude that not only is the account in the ancient sources perfectly self-consistent, it is also perfectly practicable, likely even. :D It is tragic that the same cannot be said of modern speculation on the matter, which seems usually to be based on instinct rather than evidence or facts. :cry:
Would that be the Royal We, Andrew? :wink:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

amyntoros wrote:Only six months to build this compared with how long it took to build the Daibutsu? Even without the tiles on the roof and the extra support which was needed for the Daibutsu I can't see the comparison as realistic. Plus, by your estimate, Hephaistion's pyre was burnt along with his body within a few weeks of Alexander taking ill and dying? And not one historian noted that Hephaistion's spectacular funeral was so close to Alexander's death? Must be my modern speculation based on instinct again, but I'm not buying it. IMO, this was a tomb/monument, not a pyre.
It is not true that no historian noted the funeral in the month or so before Alexander's death. The funeral is described in some detail by Diodorus (17.115) - not just the pyre, but also the sacrifices and the declaration of Hephaistion to be a Hero/God-assistant. He is specific that these things happened. He is almost certainly abbreviating this from Cleitarchus, who wrote within living memory of Alexander's reign and would have opened himself up to ridicule had he invented the event. The reason this is missing from Curtius is that it falls in a lacuna. Justin is a gross epitome, but he still mentions the expense of the funeral arrangements. Plutarch is also a brief "life" and he does not stick with chronological order, but he still mentions the overall burning and entombment process and its cost. Arrian also mentions the matter, but it is his procedure to pare away any details connected with Alexander's private life from his history of Alexander's campaigns (the clue is in his work's title).

In fact, there is another independent account of the pyre actually burning:
Aelian, Varia Historia 7.8 wrote:When Hephaistion died Alexander threw armour on to his pyre, and melted down with the corpse gold, silver, and clothing much prized by the Persians.
If you are saying that Diodorus mistook plans for the monument and cited them for the pyre, I would respond that the point of the monument in these cases was to create a permanent effigy of the pyre. That is why it was still called the pyre. I would also note that the construction of such an edifice in wood is considerably easier and quicker than its construction in stone. The reason we do not often build large structures in wood has to do with structural strength, maintainability and expense and availability of raw materials - not with practicability.

If you are saying that Alexander lacked the resources to create the pyre, I would point out that he had the resources of a vast and ancient empire at hand, that he was sitting on a treasure of hundreds of tonnes of silver and gold and that he was constructing a harbour to accommodate a thousand warships at Babylon and gathering and constructing ships to fill it for the Arabian expedition in the same period. The latter was no less of an endeavour than the construction of the pyre.

If you rely on intuition and refuse to believe any source that disagrees with it, then you are dealing in fan-fiction rather than history. The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Taphoi wrote:
The Great Buddha Hall (below) in Japan is made of wood, is comparable in scale with Hephaistion's pyre and is 30% smaller than the structure it replaced, when its preceding version was destroyed by fire several centuries ago. It also supports the weight of a massive roof, which would not have been required for the pyre. Furthermore the 'Odate Jukai Dome' is about the same height and breadth as Hephaistion's pyre and built of wood (below). As a scientist and engineer myself I am happy to to assure you that your guess on the maximum size of a wooden structure is quite mistaken.
It is interesting, if somewhat of a complete red herring, that you introduce these two Japanese buildings. By a curious co-incidence I have been in the Todai-ji Temple in Nara, a marvellous structure, more of which anon. Unfortunately, comparing these to the proposed funeral 'pyre' of Hephaistion is like comparing apples and pears. Still, we can point to a few facts regarding them, as Amyntoros has done, to demonstrate that the 'pyre' could never have been built.

Firstly, the Odate Jukai dome. It is a mere very thin shell - a sports stadium - and at 157m long x 153 metres wide (oval shape) and 52m high, and being oval, covers less than half the area of the square 'pyre'. Its roof is a Teflon ultra-light cover so thin as to be translucent in daylight, and its structure is like that of a zeppelin, nothing like the ‘pyre’. The roof trusses are partly steel, with beams made of wood - for which it took 25,000 mature ( over 60 years old) Cyprus trees ! It's only relevance is to give a visual impression of the gigantic size of the proposed 'pyre' - which had more than twice the area at ground level, was at least 7 levels high, and was 20% taller !

The vast amount of wood used for the ultra-light roof also begs the question of the 'palm trunk' roofs, on 7 stories of the 'pyre'. Iraq, of course, has no forests, but date palms had been cultivated for thousands of years. Now a typical date palm grows to maturity in 100 years, to a height of 70-75 ft/23 m or so - but only 50ft/15 m of trunk, with a diameter of 100-200 cm. The total surface area of the 'roofs' is in excess of 200,000 square yards ( depending on the slope of the ziggurat ) or 167,230 square metres. Each palm trunk fills a surface area of 15m long x 2 m wide ( at most) = 30 sq metres or 5,574 fully mature, largest sized, Date Palm trees at a minimum, allowing no wastage ( and we should probably perhaps double or thereabouts to allow for wastage - c.f the 25,000 fully mature Cyprus trees needed to supply beams to the Odate stadium) ! Did this number of mature date palm trees even exist in and around Babylon at the time ? If so, would the Babylonians have countenanced such destruction ? To this, perhaps, should be added vertical columns about 10 metres long on average ( six internal stories, totalling 60 metres high aprox, allowing a 5 metre seventh story), to support the roof beam/trunks/lintels every few feet, possibly palm or mud-brick. If they were the former so as to burn, then at, say 5 ft or so intervals ( an arbitrary figure merely to obtain an order of magnitude) then 10 aprox would be required for each 'roof beam'/lintel - roughly another 550,000 or so mature palm trunks !!
(The internal 'compartments' D.S. describes are far too big to support the load of the next story, so more internal walls and/or columns are required)
These numbers, are, of course, hopelessly impossible.

Which brings us to the Todai-ji temple in Nara, supposedly the largest wooden structure in the world - and it is indeed impressive, as I can attest. In its current form it is 57 m long and 50.5 m wide and 48.7 m high, thus it's ground-plan is a little over one sixteenth the size of the proposed 'pyre', and about three-quarters its height. The original was about 30 % bigger, still much smaller than the 'pyre'. Burning down in wartime wasn't its only problem. The original continually sagged and collapsed under the enormous load of the roof, to be constantly propped up - as described in the second of Amyntoros' interesting links, which is why it was rebuilt 30% smaller, and later, the Meiji engineers - western educated - calculated that the structure of wood could never support the load of even the scaled down building. As a result, an imported steel truss, steel bolts and plates, diagonal bracing rods and iron tensioning rods were used in the 'restoration', all cleverly hidden in the wooden structure, and that is why I said 'supposedly' the largest wooden structure in the world. But Diodorus’ pyre did not have a 2,000 tonne roof, as Taphoi points out.

It had no less than seven roofs. Now dry palm logs ( the proposed pyre would have used heavier 'green'logs) have a density of roughly 200-500 kg per cubic metre, varying through the trunk. So using an average of 350 kg per cubic metre, our 15 metre log, with a maximum diameter of 200 cm will weigh 15 x ‘pi’ x r squared (1 m) = 47.1 cubic metres, x 350 kg = 16.49 tonnes per log – call it 16.5 for convenience. Earlier I estimated something like 5,574 logs would be needed for the roofs, weighing in at a staggering 91,971 tonnes !!

Oh, and then there’s all those possible wooden pillars, conceivably more than half a million of them.....

Orders of magnitude beyond what a wooden structure could possibly support, obviously, as the Todai-ji Temple demonstrates......

Now, earlier I said that introducing these Japanese wooden structures – the Todai-ji building and the ultra-light roof of the Odate sports stadium was a ‘red herring’ and like comparing apples and pears.
That is because neither structure bears any resemblance whatever to the structure described by Diodorus, which was not a wooden structure like the Todai-ji, or the dome of a sports centre with only an ultra-light covering over wooden beams. Rather, D.S. describes a seven story mud-brick structure far bigger than either, with each story being merely roofed by palm logs, and as the numbers above for solid palm log roofs demonstrate, such a structure is quite impossible.

I should point out that at no time did I refer to the maximum size of wooden structures, because D.S. doesn’t describe the pyre as one.
So this:
" As a scientist and engineer myself I am happy to assure you that your guess on the maximum size of a wooden structure is quite mistaken.”
....is quite incorrect, merely a ‘straw man’ set up by you on the assumption, contra what Diodorus says, that the ‘pyre’ was a wooden structure rather than a mud-brick edifice with wooden roofs. ( and an example of you falsifying what another poster has actually said )

Now, in fairness, I should say that Diodorus’ brief description is a trifle ambiguous and can be translated as the roofs being supported on trunks of palm trees rather than the actual roof being of palm trees – in other words that the roofs were of baked tiles, like the walls, supported on palm log beams. Unfortunately, while that might reduce the number of logs required to, say, a half or one-third of a solid wooden roof on each story ( depending on length of tile), it compounds the weight problem – because mud bricks at 1600 kg per cubic metre are much denser and heavier than wood, so sadly another complete impossibility.

Then there is the time factor that both I and Amyntoros have alluded to. No structure that size could have been built in six months, or even six years, as the building time, and restoration time of the Todai-ji emphasises in the pre-machine age.
I might add that the figure of 1.6 million men working on it is also interpreted as 1.6 million ‘man –days’ of construction, and if that is correct, spread over 9 years is 3285 days and dividing that into 1.6 million gives us an average of 487 men ‘on site’ on any given day....

Taphoi wrote:
We may therefore happily conclude that not only is the account in the ancient sources perfectly self-consistent, it is also perfectly practicable, likely even. It is tragic that the same cannot be said of modern speculation on the matter, which seems usually to be based on instinct rather than evidence or facts.

On the contrary, it is quite clear that the account is quite impossible, whether actual pyre for burning, or subsequent monument is meant,[there are good reasons for thinking actual funeral pyre for burning is being referred to here]. It would seem that, surprisingly, despite your ‘engineering’ and ‘scientific’ expertise, you did not perform even the most rudimentary arithmetical calculations, and it is you that are taking things on trust rather than examining facts or evidence. It is also obvious your ‘engineering’ and ‘scientific’ expertise is not in the fields of civil, structural or building engineering !! :wink:

There are other reasons for thinking that Diodorus' account of the funeral 'pyre' is fictional, but this is quite long enough already, so I'll save them for another time....
Last edited by Xenophon on Sat May 04, 2013 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Excuse me for butting in, Xenophon, but I think you are overcomplicating the structure of the pyre. A pyre's purpose is to burn quickly and spectacularly. You don't want your dignitaries standing around for hours until it catches light properly and not give the dead a spectacular send off. Consequently all that is needed is timber scaffolding that will create a good updraft. It doesn't need any deep foundations and this could easliy have been put up in 2 or 3 months. Only the outer edges of each tier to support the frame of the next tier would need planking floors. No walls would have been needed. Diodorus says between the uprights felt was hung. The decoration would have been worked on at the same time as the scaffolding was erected and then applied and the heaviest part of this, the quinqueremes, were on the ground level. A pyre is quite feasible.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

On the contrary, Alexias, I am working from Diodorus' albeit brief description, and he does NOT describe a structure of 'timber scaffolding' or wood at all, other than the palm log roofs of each level, but of 'baked mud-brick tiles', supposedly obtained by demolishing Baylon's walls for a length of over 2,000 yards.[try working out how long that would have taken alone. Since the bricks were needed for construction, each one had to be prised out intact.]

Diodorus refers to both external and internal walls. Nor is there such a thing as an unsupported free-standing structure of 'timber scaffolding' over 200 ft high, on a base of over 200 yards x 200 yards.

Diodorus also says that Alexander DID make foundations [XVII.115.1] - he supposedly levelled off the site - some 40,000 square yards - no mean feat in itself, and of course this had to be down below soil level onto 'hard standing', or the structure would collapse while building.

The felt mentioned was in the form of hanging banners from the decorative 'quinquereme' prows, not between the uprights of the structure itself. If you have read Diodorus' description, you seem to have done so a little carelessly, to get the details so wrong.

It is physically impossible to build a structure of the size Diodorus describes in the manner you suggest. Even if it could, a simple calculation shows this could not be done in "2 or 3 months", a figure you have simply plucked out of the air.

For the actual time a wooden structure smaller than the 'pyre' took to build, see references to the Todai-ji above.....(years)

There are far too many impossibilities for Diodorus' description to be anything other than fiction....

I would agree with you, however, that what is needed is a fast and hot burning funeral pyre with a good updraught and accordingly that Hephaestion's real pyre was much smaller, something that would be consumed in an hour or four, not a vast structure that would take days to burn and more days to cool..... [how long does it take to burn Diodorus' hypothetical 91,000 tonnes or more of wood ?]

There are also good reasons for thinking this took place at Ecbatana....Diodorus and Arrian are the only sources to refer to Babylon.....
Last edited by Xenophon on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

First let us look at the claim that the Greeks regularly called a monument raised on the site of a funeral pyre 'Pyra'. On analysing the use of the word in six prose authors (Polybios, Strabo, Pausanias, Diodoros Arrian and Aelian) I find ninety uses of the word 'pyra' these split 24/66 between general fires- normally campfires - and funeral pyres- only the two concerning Hephaistion's pyre may be considered different by those favouring a special case.

Arrian uses it four times for fires and eight times as a funeral pyre with a thirteenth use for Hephaistion, the so-called Hieronyman books of Diodoros (XVIII-XX) are a four four split and one for Hephaistion's 'pyre'. Clearly not common usage.

Pausanias II 21 iv includes a telling passage
The building of white marble in just about the middle of the marketplace is not, as the Argives declare, a trophy in honor of a victory over Pyrrhus of Epeirus, but it can be shown that his body was burnt here, and that this is his monument, on which are carved in relief the elephants and his other instruments of warfare. This building (oikodomhma) then was set up where the pyre stood, but the bones of Pyrrhus lie in the sanctuary of Demeter, beside which, as I have shown in my account of Attica, his death occurred. At the entrance to this sanctuary of Demeter you can see a bronze shield of Pyrrhus hanging dedicated over the door.
Were it normal to call the monument above a pyre 'pyra' this monument would not have been called a trophy nor would Pausanias call it a building when correcting the misapprehension.

Diodoros too III 55 ii
Myrina accorded a funeral to her fallen comrades on three pyres(pyrai) and raised up three great heaps(chwma) of earth as tombs(taphoi), which are called to this day "Amazon Mounds(swrous)."
τὴν δὲ Μύριναν θάψασαν τὰς ἀναιρεθείσας τῶν συστρατευουσῶν ἐν τρισὶ πυραῖς χωμάτων μεγάλων ἐπιστῆσαι τάφους τρεῖς, οὓς μέχρι τοῦ νῦν Ἀμαζόνων σωροὺς ὀνομάζεσθαι.
The mounds are called just that not 'pyrai'.

The benefit of LSJ is that it gives examples of usage, all those for 'pyra' as a mound or grave are poetic, historia was defined as a prose work; guess this is evidence and fact, I challenge you to bite the bullet, live by the apothegm....

Why you continue with the crassest argument in ancient historiography I do not know, and nor is it your error alone; if Ptolemy can write about talking snakes within the lifetime of Alexander's veterans any nonsense is possible! Nor were these works generally available, the 'public' of ancient authors was much more restricted than those of modern printed authors and access to books much more restricted. The audience for Kleitarchos' book was not the common soldiery but the educated Greek decision makers.

Once again it is wrong to claim Aelian as an independent witness as he says nothing about upon whom he is dependent, but it is certainly an author of the Kleitarchan tradition..

As an engineer maybe you could work out the beam stresses for spanning 165ft and the number of 50ft trunks required as piles, all in a area notably short of trees and already with a workforce working on the Harbour. (I do think your interpretation of the construction Diodoros intends is sound)
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Taphoi wrote:
It is not true that no historian noted the funeral in the month or so before Alexander's death. The funeral is described in some detail by Diodorus (17.115) - not just the pyre, but also the sacrifices and the declaration of Hephaistion to be a Hero/God-assistant. He is specific that these things happened. He is almost certainly abbreviating this from Cleitarchus, who wrote within living memory of Alexander's reign and would have opened himself up to ridicule had he invented the event. The reason this is missing from Curtius is that it falls in a lacuna. Justin is a gross epitome, but he still mentions the expense of the funeral arrangements. Plutarch is also a brief "life" and he does not stick with chronological order, but he still mentions the overall burning and entombment process and its cost. Arrian also mentions the matter, but it is his procedure to pare away any details connected with Alexander's private life from his history of Alexander's campaigns (the clue is in his work's title).

In fact, there is another independent account of the pyre actually burning:
Aelian, Varia Historia 7.8 wrote:When Hephaistion died Alexander threw armour on to his pyre, and melted down with the corpse gold, silver, and clothing much prized by the Persians.
I have noted before your entirely "unscientific" and 'false logic' arguments and selectivity, and how, by seeking to discredit a small part of a post, or distorting what was actually said, or even stating something that was NOT said, you seek to imply the whole is incorrect.

My reading of Amyntoros' remarks was that there is no mention of a "spectacular funeral" of the size of pyre D.S. refers to. That "a" funeral took place is referred to, but with no connection to Diodorus' fantasy pyre. No doubt Amyntoros will respond on her own behalf, if she is so inclined.
NONE of the other sources refer to the impossibly large funeral pyre. The references to the "10-12,000 Talents" to be expended is likely a reference in other sources to a monument that Perdiccas declines to build, passing the matter to the Makedones. [D.S. XVIII.4]
As to D's source, I think it more likely his source for the funeral arrangemnets was Epihippus, who wrote a book called "The funerals of Alexander and Hephaistion", as Hammond argued and other scholars agreed....
If you are saying that Diodorus mistook plans for the monument and cited them for the pyre, I would respond that the point of the monument in these cases was to create a permanent effigy of the pyre. That is why it was still called the pyre. I would also note that the construction of such an edifice in wood is considerably easier and quicker than its construction in stone. The reason we do not often build large structures in wood has to do with structural strength, maintainability and expense and availability of raw materials - not with practicability.
Whilst 'pyra' in Greek can mean a subsequent and permanent monument above the funeral pyre as you say, this usage is generally confined to the written Greek Tragedies [see LSJ]- it was not the ordinary or normal terminology for a burial mound. Your points about structural strength, expense, availability of materials are correct - see my post above. The limits of wood were reached (and exceeded) in the Japanese Temple referred to by you previously, and it was significantly smaller than D.S. description, but as noted, Diodorus' 'pyre' was NOT solely a wooden structure, but rather a mud-brick one with a palm log roof on each story..

Nor will it do to answer facts and figures with vague generalities such as "quicker and easier than its construction in stone". Especially as there is no mention of stone, but rather salvaged baked tiles/bricks. How about some "facts and evidence" from you as to how long it would take to fell, trim up, and transport tens of thousands of palm logs ?
If you are saying that Alexander lacked the resources to create the pyre, I would point out that he had the resources of a vast and ancient empire at hand, that he was sitting on a treasure of hundreds of tonnes of silver and gold and that he was constructing a harbour to accommodate a thousand warships at Babylon and gathering and constructing ships to fill it for the Arabian expedition in the same period. The latter was no less of an endeavour than the construction of the pyre.
More vague generalities ? How does 'resources' of gold silver and obedient manpower make the physically impossible become possible ? And you allege a harbour was to be built for 1,000 warships at Babylon, over 300 miles up the river from the Persian gulf ? In fact among the last plans of Alexander referred to by Diodorus [XVIII.4] is the intention to build 1,000 warships larger than triremes in Phoenicia, Syria, Cilicia and Cyprus i.e. the Mediterranean, for the expedition against the Carthaginians and the other inhabitants of the coastal area of Africa, Iberia and the neighboring coasts as far as Sicily; to build a coastal road in Africa as far as the Pillars of Heracles, and, as required by such a large expedition, to build harbors and shipyards at suitable places. Ships were hardly of use in Arabia !
You seem to have mis-remembered.
If you rely on intuition and refuse to believe any source that disagrees with it, then you are dealing in fan-fiction rather than history. The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.
I think you will find Amyntoros had her tongue firmly in her cheek when referring to "intuition" as I am sure you are aware.
And the past may be a foreign country where they do things differently, but the Laws of Physics still hold, and a physical impossibility is till a physical impossibility - unless of course it is you who are dwelling in the lands of fantasy and fan-fiction ?
Last edited by Xenophon on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Sorry omitted the Aelian quote
Book 7.8
When Hephaestion died Alexander threw armour on to his pyre, and melted down with the corpse gold, silver, and clothing much prized by the Persians. He cut off his own hair, a gesture in the Homeric manner, in imitation of the poet’s Achilles. But Alexander was more violent and hotheaded than Achilles: he destroyed the acropolis at Ecbatana and knocked down its walls. As far as his hair is concerned, I think he acted in accordance with Greek custom; but when he pulled down the walls, that was a barbaric expression of grief by Alexander. He changed his dress and allowed himself to be completely controlled by anger, love, and tears.
Oops it seems it was Ecbatana's walls that were knocked down.

We might also wonder at the lack of cuneiform references to the wholesale demolition of Babylon' Walls and the erection of a mammoth pyre, we have labour contracts for works on the Esagila which prove Arrian's account false, and the Diadochoi Chronicle mentions the continuing clearance of rubble, but nothing records any hint of what must have been a major event, especially since the extinguishing of the sacred fires was just the sort of omen that is recorded in the astronomical texts (the Babylonians were interested in the predictive implications of their observations, not in gaining any abstract picture of the universe).
Last edited by agesilaos on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Indeed. One pointer that it was not 2,000 yards of Babylon's walls that were demolished is that Eumenes besieged it in 318 or 317 BC, ....hardly necessary if a 2,000 yard long 'hole' existed in the walls through which one could simply walk in....and ultimately left a garrison in the citadel
[ John D. Grainger, Seleukos Nikator (London, 1990), pp. 38-9 and Tarn C.A.H Vol VI, p477]..... :lol: :lol:
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

Alexias wrote:Excuse me for butting in, Xenophon, but I think you are overcomplicating the structure of the pyre. A pyre's purpose is to burn quickly and spectacularly. You don't want your dignitaries standing around for hours until it catches light properly and not give the dead a spectacular send off. Consequently all that is needed is timber scaffolding that will create a good updraft. It doesn't need any deep foundations and this could easliy have been put up in 2 or 3 months. Only the outer edges of each tier to support the frame of the next tier would need planking floors. No walls would have been needed. Diodorus says between the uprights felt was hung. The decoration would have been worked on at the same time as the scaffolding was erected and then applied and the heaviest part of this, the quinqueremes, were on the ground level. A pyre is quite feasible.
Hi Alexias,

Sorry you got caught up in the tirade. You are perfectly correct that Diodorus describes merely a timber (palm trunk) framework with external decorations that were at least in part made of fabrics. He used the tiles for the foundation platform. There was probably planking across the upper surfaces of the structure, but not a proper roof. However much Xenophon protests that it is impossible to build a wooden framework of this size in six months, if you have vast financial and labour resources, it is obvious from the modern examples alone that it is in fact perfectly feasible. Xenophon doesn't seem to have noticed that the 1000 ship harbour is in Arrian. He also seems to think it impossible for ships to sail from Babylon to the Arabian Gulf, <edited by moderator>

It is nice that everyone now agrees that pyra is used of the monument on the site of a funeral pyre. <edited by moderator> It is nice that agesilaos likes my reconstruction of the pyre, but curious that he doesn't realise that Alexander pulled down sections of the walls of both Babylon and Ecbatana (see also Plutarch, Pelopidas 34 and Plutarch, Alexander 72.2), but for different reasons.

Best wishes,

andrew
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Taphoi wrote: Hi Alexias,

Sorry you got caught up in the tirade. You are perfectly correct that Diodorus describes merely a timber (palm trunk) framework with external decorations that were at least in part made of fabrics. He used the tiles for the foundation platform. There was probably planking across the upper surfaces of the structure, but not a proper roof. However much Xenophon protests that it is impossible to build a wooden framework of this size in six months, if you have vast financial and labour resources, it is obvious from the modern examples alone that it is in fact perfectly feasible.
Thank you, Andrew. I was going to ask how this from Diodorus says that the pyre was built from mud bricks, or that the ground was dug down to bed rock:
Alexander collected artisans and an army of workmen and tore down the city wall to a distance of ten furlongs. He collected the baked tiles and levelled off the place which was to receive the pyre, and then constructed this square in shape, each side being a furlong in length. He divided up the area into thirty compartments and laying out the roofs upon the trunks of palm trees wrought the whole structure into a square shape. Then he decorated all the exterior walls.
Xenophon wrote:and he does NOT describe a structure of 'timber scaffolding' or wood at all, other than the palm log roofs of each level, but of 'baked mud-brick tiles'

Diodorus also says that Alexander DID make foundations [XVII.115.1] - he supposedly levelled off the site - some 40,000 square yards - no mean feat in itself, and of course this had to be down below soil level onto 'hard standing', or the structure would collapse while building.
Diodorus would appear to be saying that the debris from the walls was used to create a platform. He also appears to be saying that the tiles which may have faced the walls (such as on the Ishtar gate) were separated out. But if Xenophon is correct and 'tiles' means bricks and these were used to build the pyre, mud bricks don't burn readily, so how can this have been a pyre?

But, it's late and I'm not really interested any more. Too much aggression tends to put people off, Xenophon. :)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Alexias wrote:Diodorus would appear to be saying that the debris from the walls was used to create a platform. He also appears to be saying that the tiles which may have faced the walls (such as on the Ishtar gate) were separated out. But if Xenophon is correct and 'tiles' means bricks and these were used to build the pyre, mud bricks don't burn readily, so how can this have been a pyre?
Tiles are not what is meant at all. Diodorus says that two stadia of the walls of Babylon were pulled down. This being done the ὀπτὴν πλίνθον that the wall was made of were collected (not "debris") and used to create the base after an area of a stade square was leveled. ὀπτὴν πλίνθον means 'baked bricks' not decorative or "facia" tiles.
Alexias wrote:Consequently all that is needed is timber scaffolding that will create a good updraft. It doesn't need any deep foundations and this could easliy have been put up in 2 or 3 months. Only the outer edges of each tier to support the frame of the next tier would need planking floors. No walls would have been needed.
Unless it is supposed that Diodorus is describing a modern twenty storey building, a ziggurat is what is meant. Thus each level becomes the platform for the next. If the baked bricks of Babylon's walls are the base then Diodorus claims that the palm trunks supported the roof supporting next platform (unless Diodorus means thirty walled compartments of 200 x 7 odd yards with palm trunks within helping to support the "roof"). There are seven levels described. Each level is indented and has to be supported as it moves inexorably in and rises.

Further, Diodorus describes what these other levels supported. Amongst this are: "on the third level were carved a multitude of wild animals being pursued by hunters. The fourth level carried a centauromachy rendered in gold, while the fifth showed lions and bulls alternating, also in gold". So we have these levels decorated in relief - some of which are gilded in gold. There simply had to be far more than "the outer edges of each tier to support the frame of the next tier".
Taphoi wrote:...if you have vast financial and labour resources...
The catch-all crutch of last resort that is deployed to "prove" the Persians fielded 1,700,000 infantry in the invasion of Greece. Surely Alexander had at least 2,000,000 men just as Semiramis cobbled together for the building of Babylon? No other source contradicts this figure for Semiramis nor the three million foot-soldiers, two hundred thousand cavalry, and one hundred thousand chariots that she was able to assemble to invade India.
Taphoi wrote:...it is obvious from the modern examples alone that it is in fact perfectly feasible [...] It is nice that everyone now agrees that pyra is used of the monument on the site of a funeral pyre.
Xenophon has dealt at length with your modern examples above and I'm certain he can respond on his own behalf. For myself, I'd prefer to see you actually deal with the argument posted by Xenophon rather than blithely restate your opinion as if it is fact. Proclamation is not argument. It might also be interesting to see just exactly where anyone has agreed with your position on the use of pyra. I'm afraid, from where I sit, it looks quite the opposite. Misconstruing others' statements is not an argument.
Last edited by Paralus on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Taphoi wrote:In fact, there is another independent account of the pyre actually burning:
I never said that Hephaistion wasn't burnt on a pyre, just not the one described in Diodorus. I'll repeat the rest of the Aelian quote so that readers don't have to go back in the thread to search for it.
When Hephaestion died Alexander threw armour on to his pyre, and melted down with the corpse gold, silver, and clothing much prized by the Persians.* He cut off his own hair, a gesture in the Homeric manner, in imitation of the poet’s Achilles. But Alexander was more violent and hotheaded than Achilles: he destroyed the acropolis at Ecbatana and knocked down its walls. As far as his hair is concerned, I think he acted in accordance with Greek custom; but when he pulled down the walls, that was a barbaric expression of grief by Alexander. He changed his dress and allowed himself to be completely controlled by anger, love, and tears.
Interesting that although Aelian is obviously disturbed by the destruction of the acropolis and the walls he makes no reference to the elaborate, unusual, and extremely large pyre as described in Diodorus, even though he notes that Alexander threw armour on to the pyre so he obviously had sources. I would have thought the excessiveness of the pyre worthy of mention when describing Alexander's expressions of grief.
Taphoi wrote:If you are saying that Diodorus mistook plans for the monument and cited them for the pyre, I would respond that the point of the monument in these cases was to create a permanent effigy of the pyre. That is why it was still called the pyre. I would also note that the construction of such an edifice in wood is considerably easier and quicker than its construction in stone. The reason we do not often build large structures in wood has to do with structural strength, maintainability and expense and availability of raw materials - not with practicability.
In these cases? Which cases? Do you have references for similar pyres in the Greek/Macedonian world where permanent effigies of the actual funeral pyre were built?
Taphoi wrote:If you are saying that Alexander lacked the resources to create the pyre, I would point out that he had the resources of a vast and ancient empire at hand, that he was sitting on a treasure of hundreds of tonnes of silver and gold and that he was constructing a harbour to accommodate a thousand warships at Babylon and gathering and constructing ships to fill it for the Arabian expedition in the same period. The latter was no less of an endeavour than the construction of the pyre.
*IF* I am saying??? I didn't mention Alexander's resources in my post. Finances have no bearing on my comments.

Regards,
Amyntoros

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote: Unless it is supposed that Diodorus is describing a modern twenty storey building, a ziggurat is what is meant. Thus each level becomes the platform for the next. If the baked bricks of Babylon's walls are the base then Diodorus claims that the palm trunks supported the roof supporting next platform (unless Diodorus means thirty walled compartments of 200 x 7 odd yards with palm trunks within helping to support the "roof"). There are seven levels described. Each level is indented and has to be supported as it moves inexorably in and rises.

And, of course, there had to be a stairway, presumably in the center because it had to rise all the way up to the top.

Best regards,
Amyntoros