Crossing the Paropamisus

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Crossing the Paropamisus

Post by marcus »

Dear all,

Now, I know that there are many places in the world that experiences extreme weather far more often than does the UK. I also know that the "worst snow since 1991" that we are currently 'suffering' is like nothing compared with what many countries suffer on an annual basis. However, as I squelched and stumbled my way down to the High Street this afternoon, and back, I could only think of what the Macedonians had to go through as they crossed the Paropamisus in the winter of 330/329. All that was missing were the patches of silphium ... but I bet Alexander's army didn't make snowmen as good as the one I constructed yesterday! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Crossing the Paropamisus

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote: All that was missing were the patches of silphium ... but I bet Alexander's army didn't make snowmen as good as the one I constructed yesterday!
Most likely not. They did "make" plenty of baby men though. In which case, I imagine we can remove "contraception" as one of the properties of the plant. Wasn't this the main export of Cyrenaeca?

You'd be hard pressed building a snowman here at the present. Temps constantly in the high thirties (c - 100+ f). We're shooting for 108f on Saturday and 111f on Sunday. I shall be found sitting in the pool with an iced esky full of black beer near to hand.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Crossing the Paropamisus

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:You'd be hard pressed building a snowman here at the present. Temps constantly in the high thirties (c - 100+ f). We're shooting for 108f on Saturday and 111f on Sunday. I shall be found sitting in the pool with an iced esky full of black beer near to hand.
Don't rub it in! Apparently we're due for another bad torrent of snow next Monday - which is the day I'm supposed to be flying to Krakow with 30 students! It's going to be colder and snowier in Poland, but they are geared up to deal with it - at the moment, it's touch and go whether we'll ever get as far as Gatwick Airport!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK