What is known about the mass wedding at Susa?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Another interesting thing is the hint in the Metz epitome that such marriages had also happened earlier, at the time when Alexander married Roxane:
[28] Next he set off for Gazabes intending to carry on. On this journey he came upon the satrapy of a certain Chorienes. He concluded a treaty with him. And he, when Alexander accepted an invitation to share his hospitality, brought in his virgin daughters to dance with the unmarried children of his other friends.

[29] Amongst these was the daughter of Oxyartes, Rhoxane, the most beautiful of all, whose looks ensnared Alexander with desire. Then he inquired who she was and whose daughter. He was told she was Oxyartes’, who was himself dining there. Then taking his cup and praying to the Gods he began to speak thus: many were used to obtaining things totally unexpectedly; there were many kings who had got sons on captives;

[30] they sent many of their own daughters to marry among foreign peoples and by such congress affirmed their friendship. ‘Why,’ he said ‘are you Macedones not great breeders and surely if you embrace the conquered in friendship, will your rule not last forever? That is what I am going to do and whomsoever of the other Macedonians chooses to do the same I shall take care of.’

[31] His friends applauded these words, and he led them with himself to marry the girls dancing at the party. Which having been done Oxyartes and the other barbarians were overjoyed.
It seems a perfectly plausible thing to have happened, yet it seems to get discounted as a confusion with the weddings at Susa.
Fiona
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:Yes, but you're supporting my argument here. :wink: Continuing marriages between Macedonians and Persians would NOT drive the narrative so therefore would not be reported. As I said before, silence on this subject does not mean that it didn't happen.
Not exactly what I was intending: this is akin to arguing with Salaminia – Mrs Paralus! And, should that be anything to go by, I shall need to withdraw forthwith.

The Iranian aristocracy – particularly the female half – are notable by their absence throughout the initial Diadoch period. It is Macedonian alliances that matter and, when it comes to marriage alliances (those prior to the first war for example), it is upon available Macedonian brides that the alliances of convenience are sired. There was little in the way of politico/military import in being married to the niece of the twelfth cousin removed of a former – and long dead – Achaemenid king. Just as, in the period after the “peace of the dynasts” there will have been nothing to gain from being, in some tangible if distant way, related to an Argead. There was, in my opinion, more to be gained by the former elites by marrying into the current power elite. In this way they would retain access to power.

All of which, again, is not to say that the “lower” Macedonians repudiated their Iranian wives immediately or, indeed, that every single one of them will have. These men – one assumes ex-pages and therefore Macedonians of the “feudal” officer class – will not though, now that their king had died, have reaped any large benefit from them. At bottom it was the policy of the departed Alexander, a policy along with his army reforms, was aimed at reducing his reliance on fractious Macedonian national troops. It was not followed by the Diadochoi.

The assumption that these marriages were repudiated in short order is, most likely, incorrect. That we do hot hear of them, outside of the leading players, is no indication that they were either kept or discarded. Seleucus parlayed his marriage into empire. That will not be down entirely to his marriage but it certainly helped. Although Craterus in his palming off Amastris was seemingly quite careful of how he managed it, the fact remains that the marriage of import was to Antipater’s daughter.
amyntoros wrote:I certainly acknowledge the repudiation of Alexander's future plans – plans which involved great expense - and Perdiccas certainly presented them with a view to having them rejected outright by the Macedonian assembly. More money spent on Alexander's plans meant less to divide between the elite and to pay/reward the army! In fact repudiation of the marriages would have been at financial cost to the Macedonians – the dowries would have to be returned to the women….

I still think that most of the grooms would not have found sufficient reason to annul these marriages. It isn't as if they would have had a negative impact on an individual's future or the future of the Macedonians in general. They simply don't compare with emptying the coffers to pay for Alexander's last plans or venturing into new and strange territory to fight still more battles. They're just marriages. I argued in my last post as to why I think they might still have been viewed as advantageous to most of the lesser Macedonian characters involved
Many of the Macedonians objected to the notion of Alexander’s “Persianising” of both himself and, more so, his army. Arrian does indeed mention that “some” of the Macedonians were none too chuffed at the thought of the marriages. Arrian is a strongly apologetic source and may have understated the feeling against his hero’s noble plans especially as the next instalment – the revolt at Opis – was going to be somewhat more difficult to apologise away or hide. He may be absolutely correct though and many were happy to have these marriages foisted on them. As to financial costs involved in dowries, I doubt the new ruling class will have handed back anything – the record is one of spending and stripping. I might well be wrong though.

The thing is, we do not hear what has become of these marriages. Certainly those Macedonian notables still in play during the campaigns after Alexander’s death – Neoptolemus, Alcetas, Attalus and Clietus “the white” for example – are not ever mentioned in the context of of Iranian wives. Again, that is no proof one way or the other.

We do not have any reason to dismiss the historicity of much of Alexander’s “last plans”. Certainly the work had been underway for some time with respect to the preparations of the Arabian adventure. The fleet building in Cilicia was advanced enough to allow Clietus, as Craterus’ admiral, to operate a significant fleet during the Lamian War and the civil wars that were to follow. It is a good bet that Perdiccas will have made it all sound as involved and costly as possible. Even so, the army threw the lot – in its entirety – out with the bath water. There was to be no more conquering; no more campaigning to the ends of the earth – it was time to settle back and enjoy the benfits of empire. The army wanted its donatives and wanted to extract the fuits of its labours. To borrow WH Auden’s classic “ballad”:

Over the heather the wet wind blows,
I've lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose.

The rain comes pattering out of the sky,
I'm a Wall soldier, I don't know why.

The mist creeps over the hard grey stone,
My girl's in Tungria; I sleep alone.

Aulus goes hanging around her place,
I don't like his manners, I don't like his face.

Piso's a Christian, he worships a fish;
There'd be no kissing if he had his wish.

She gave me a ring but I diced it away;
I want my girl and I want my pay.

When I'm a veteran with only one eye
I shall do nothing but look at the sky.

In any case, the notion that Alexander’s plans will have severely impacted the cash reserves of empire is a little misplaced. The amount of money “stockpiled” after the conquest is huge. The ongoing revenues were quite healthy as well. An indication is given by Antigonus collecting some 10,000 talents from the treasury in Cyinda in 316. This after some seven years of war. Later, on his way to Ipsus, Antigonus paid his massive army for three months out money taken from this fortress. Antigonus satrapy alone was said to earn some 11,000 talents per annum. Money there was aplenty.
amyntoros wrote:P.S. Is this the right time for me to proffer my opinion that the "families" of the Silver Shields at Gabiene were most likely their Persian wives and children?
I would suggest that they were camp-followers gathered from early in the campaign. Many may have been the booty of the early years of the pacification of Asia Minor. It is unlikely that Alexander will have married off his soon to be forcibly retired hypaspists at Opis. It is possible that the male children of these unions might have been destined to be “kept” by Alexander and raised. These men will surely have had family of some description in Macedonia as their careers had begun under Philip.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Super quick response here and then (hopefully) more later.
Paralus wrote:
amyntoros wrote:P.S. Is this the right time for me to proffer my opinion that the "families" of the Silver Shields at Gabiene were most likely their Persian wives and children?
I would suggest that they were camp-followers gathered from early in the campaign. Many may have been the booty of the early years of the pacification of Asia Minor. It is unlikely that Alexander will have married off his soon to be forcibly retired hypaspists at Opis. It is possible that the male children of these unions might have been destined to be “kept” by Alexander and raised. These men will surely have had family of some description in Macedonia as their careers had begun under Philip.
I left myself wide open to misinterpretation here - should have explained myself better. Ah well, sorry about that. Serves me right for tagging a quick P.S. on at the last minute. :oops: Yes, I meant that the women were likely camp followers and their offspring so we're in agreement here, and you're quite right that it's likely only the female children and the very young males would have been with them at this time. I shouldn't have referred to the women as "wives" but I forgot about the fact that the Silver Shields were certainly more than old enough to have left wives behind in Macedonia, so they probably didn't/couldn't marry their captives when Alexander encouraged his army to do so at Susa. But Athenas Owl will doubtless be pleased to see that I've had a change of heart here in that I believe this is evidence that the average soldier did not discard his Persian woman and children after Alexander's death. I can't for one moment accept that the "families" mentioned after the battle of Gabiene were Macedonian women and children.

It was Athenas Owl who was debating with me about this in an earlier thread, wasn't it? :?

Best regards,
Last edited by amyntoros on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:I left myself wide open to misinterpretation here - should have explained myself better. Ah well, sorry about that. Serves me right for tagging a quick P.S. on at the last minute. Yes, I meant that the women were likely camp followers and their offspring so we're in agreement here, and you're quite right that it's likely only the female children and the very young males who would have been with them at this time. I shouldn't have referred to the women as "wives" but I forgot about the fact that the Silver Shields were certainly more than old enough to have left wives behind in Macedonia, so they probably didn't/couldn't marry their captives when Alexander encouraged his army to do so at Susa.
You were clear enough. That's just me being....me. They were likely enough common law wives - you know, de facto so to speak. These blokes, by Gabiene, hadn't seen Macedonia for near enough to twenty years. They may well have had these "wives" tagging along for fifteen or so years. One wonders if any of those male children that might have been kept by Alexander were "re-appropriated" by the Silver Shields after his demise? The two things that come through about them are their strong sense of what's mine is absolutely mine thank you very much and their cool confidence in killing on a battlefield.

It seems aparrent that Alexander's "successor" troops formed the fillers for the Diadoch armies: those armed and trained in the "Macedonian manner". In later armies of the Hellenistic period, these troops would simply be called "Macedonian".
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

The dowry notion is an interesting line of thought. Persian “power” – in the class sense – did, in fact, come down to a number of things. Prime amongst those things were the uneven “friend” relationship involving gifts exchange with the Great King and money or, in the time honoured reality, land and income (estates). There is evidence of the transmission of the acquiring of land and income through marriages.

It is often forgotten that there were, like every other society, poor Persians – commoners who worked the lands of the rich (and their ‘paradises’); the “gentry” or lesser nobility who, in a sense paid homage in degrees to their betters the nobility – or the heads of the noble houses. In any case, the source of authority, of power was land and income. Marriage into such brought wealth and comcommitant power.

Pierre Briant distinguishes between those who held estates in Persia and those who did not. This (along with lineage) is what possibly leads to the Greek descriptions of certain individuals being the “noblest” or of the “noblest lineage”. All, though, depended upon that unequal relationship with the King. All came down to the King’s favour. Here the King could raise an individual by granting him estates (in the satrapal territories).

Alexander had, almost completely, appropriated the Achaemenid method of administration and rule. Further he had spent a great deal of his time and propaganda energy ensuring that he was seen and recognised as a legitimate successor to the Achaemenid Darius. Alexander was now that Great King; the last Great King in fact. He now would wield that favour.

The question is: are we certain that those in favour under Darius were still in those positions? The marriages at Susa were to the noblest of noble houses (Darius’ included). One assumes these to be those who may well have held estates in Persia. What became of the houses whose heads had (pardon the unfortunate pun) been removed? For example both Abulites and his son were quite demonstrably removed as had been numerous others. Alexander could bestow favour and lands as he saw fit. Were the Persian nobility still in possession of those large estates, the source of their power, so as to bestow it, in part, in marriage?

Evidently there must have been estates whose productivity accrued to the satrapal seat so as to continue the "revenue base" for those satraps such as Peithon, Peucestas and others in the period prior to and immediately after Alexander's death. Atropates evidently must have kept his landed base under Perdiccas. Were all these estates still in Persian hands I suppose is the question.

In the struggles that followed we hear much of the Macedonians in control of areas and little of any Iranian nobility still in positions of power. That does not mean they were not. I rather suspect that the Macedonians took what they wanted – marriage or not. Certainly the example of the Hellenistic kingdoms would indicate so. Just as certainly the baquet of "concord" after the marriages clearly indicates who is in positions of real power: the Macedonians.

Interesting that whilst Alexander appropriated almost all of the Achaemenid administrative apparatus as his own the one thing he singularly failed to adopt was his empire’s undoing: the siring of as many sons as possible. Problems at the death of an Achaemenid ruler almost always related to the number of appropriate heirs. In Alexander’s case we have the exact opposite. Cyrus, Darius I and his father Philip will have been gob-struck at the recklessness of such a failing.
Paralus

Academia.edu
Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phoebus »

Well, that leads us right back to that other topic, right? :wink:
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

amyntoros wrote: It was Athenas Owl who was debating with me about this in an earlier thread, wasn't it? :?

Best regards,
Yes, yes it was... :D I have been agreeing with you in this thread...and your responses are much better than mine ever were.

Paralus, the Achaemenid kings might have been gob-struck, but I don't think Philip would have...he didn't exactly leave a big packet of sons either, wih something like 7 wives to boot. (yes, ATG did kill off a couple of cousins, but then the Achaemenids weren't known for their brotherly love at some accessions either)...and if Caranus did exist (seems to be fair arguments on both sides for that) even he would have only been 13/14. I somehow doubt that even a boy that age would have been able to stave off the power struggles after ATG's death. Especially if he would have been left in Macedonia. The Successors in Asia might not have felt any loyalty to speak of, Caranus would have been Antipater's boy.

As it was there was only Arrhidaeus, and the future boy Alexander IV. Though that seems a very big gamble for Perdiccas. What if Roxane had had a girl? Something went on we aren't getting the information on, I think. Did Roxane's camp really take the initiative and leave Perdiccas with no other option? Just thinking outloud.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hi Athenas Owl :)
athenas owl wrote:Paralus, the Achaemenid kings might have been gob-struck, but I don't think Philip would have...he didn't exactly leave a big packet of sons either, wih something like 7 wives to boot. (yes, ATG did kill off a couple of cousins, but then the Achaemenids weren't known for their brotherly love at some accessions either)...and if Caranus did exist (seems to be fair arguments on both sides for that) even he would have only been 13/14. I somehow doubt that even a boy that age would have been able to stave off the power struggles after ATG's death. Especially if he would have been left in Macedonia. The Successors in Asia might not have felt any loyalty to speak of, Caranus would have been Antipater's boy.
Further to this; although Philip didn't make it to old age he was more advanced in years at his death than Alexander. If Philip had died at the age of thirty-three he would have been survived by the seven-year-old Alexander, plus Arrhidaeus who was a couple of years older at most. And Amyntas at the age of sixteen was still around! I can only imagine the power struggles that might have taken place in Macedonia, and it's even possible that the young Alexander would not have survived. Now Justin (9.8.1) does tell us that Philip "had also many others (sons) by several wives, as is not unusual with princes, some of whom died a natural death, and others by the sword." Now I can't say if this is true, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility despite it not being recorded by any other historian. As with the Persians after Alexander's death, most of the biographers had little interest in anyone who did not have an impact on events, and a child who did not survive Philip was meaningless as far as history was concerned. (Even Alexander's firstborn by Roxane is only recorded in the one source, the Metz Epitome.) Still, I can't say without a doubt that Philip at the age of 33 was much better prepared for his succession than Alexander.

Paralus; I’ll have a response on the dowry topic later – have given it some thought but am pressed for time at the moment.

Best Regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

An interesting and often unremarked thing about these weddings is that there is evidence that this is a Persian custom being followed by Alexander. Like the hading out of gold coins to women.

Arrian is insistent on the Persian nature of the weddings and the celebration. This is what upsets some of the hetairoi. It seems that mass weddings may well have been celebrated during Achaemenid times as Strabo (15.3.17) indicates when he says that “they [the Persians] celebrated their weddings at the beginning of the spring equinox”. This would be about the time that Alexander performed the marriages.

Far from this being about any supposed “brotherhood of man” it may well have had more to do with Alexander, the legitimate successor to the Persian king, emulating his predecessors as much as anything else.
athenas owl wrote:Paralus, the Achaemenid kings might have been gob-struck, but I don't think Philip would have...he didn't exactly leave a big packet of sons either, with something like 7 wives to boot.

With seven wives it was, most certainly, not for lack of trying. Philip married young and married often. The Achaemenids were ostentatiously polygamous for the very reason of siring sons.

In complete contrast Alexander showed not one whit of interest in marriage or the succession other than a political marriage forced upon him by more than two years of insurrection in the eastern provinces.

It might be observed that the lack of a defined heir at his death was indeed for lack of trying.
athenas owl wrote:As it was there was only Arrhidaeus, and the future boy Alexander IV. Though that seems a very big gamble for Perdiccas. What if Roxane had had a girl? Something went on we aren't getting the information on, I think.

Perdiccas was never interested in the “mongrel” progeny of the dead king outside of what regency – a long one – would net him. The gamble would be in his being able to convince the grasping others of his “good” intentions.
Paralus

Academia.edu
Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phoebus »

Paralus wrote:Far from this being about any supposed “brotherhood of man” it may well have had more to do with Alexander, the legitimate successor to the Persian king, emulating his predecessors as much as anything else.
I would think that this sort of cultural compromise shows that there was an understanding of the need to be culturally inclusive (even as part of a greater agenda), that this needed to extend beyong the battlefield and that the king was willing to do all this.
With seven wives it was, most certainly, not for lack of trying. Philip married young and married often. The Achaemenids were ostentatiously polygamous for the very reason of siring sons.
Well that' a rather poor batting average on Phillip's end, then, isn't it? I'd argue that he married young because he took the throne young and married often because the political need was there.

Alexander, on the other hand, was not in a situation where he required to establish dynastic marital alliances to keep his kingdom together. If anything, marrying in Macedon before leaving would have only led to perceptions of favoritism. Where his scion is concerned, there is hardly a guarantee that he would have survived his the events after his father's death.
Perdiccas was never interested in the “mongrel” progeny of the dead king outside of what regency – a long one – would net him. The gamble would be in his being able to convince the grasping others of his “good” intentions.
Did Perdiccas ever express such a disdain (not yours, I by no means you think of Alex. IV in such terms) for the heir? You know I respect your opinions and scholarship, but I think sometimes you can be quite cynical! :)
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Far from this being about any supposed “brotherhood of man” it may well have had more to do with Alexander, the legitimate successor to the Persian king, emulating his predecessors as much as anything else.
Is there someone here who really thinks the weddings at Susa were about the "brotherhood of man"? Tarnesque infiltrators in our midst that I am not seeing? :wink:

Amyntoros, you're right. I forgot about that bit about the many sons of Philip that didn't survive. But you are correct about Philip at 332/33...he certainly, as far as we know, wasn't in much better shape than ATG. What kind of mayhem might have arisen had he died then and not 13 or so years later and having raised a son who certainly was capable to taking power.

As for Alexander not showing any interest in marriage before Roxane, I, personally, do think he had a plan before he headed off into Bactria and India. To marry to the daughter of Darius. She and her family were left in Susa to learn Greek and Greek ways. I do not believe that Alexander dreamed he'd be gone as long as he was...he was thinking he'd bash on regardless through eastern Iran and India in a fair short period and be back in a few years. Marrying Roxane was an expedient in the meantime.

As has been pointed out too many times to mention, it would not have been politically smart to marry a Macedonian girl before he left. The intrigue would have been a pain in the rear at best.

I do agree about the idea of marriages being done in the Persian fashion..at Norouz. Which would also handily enough give a date thereabouts for the event..late March. Which again leads me to the idea that there was some earlier planning for this, not the enitre 7 years of his absence, but certainly more than the brief few months. A thought out process, perhaps, over a period of time..deciding who would marry who. What would be the best matches for political purposes. But that's just me.

I really don't think that Alexander truly cared what happened after he died. An heir would be nice, perhaps, but he was about Alexander's glory and conquests more than anything. IMHO.

Nice post Phoebus.
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Alexander's own marriages

Post by Fiona »

Paralus wrote:
In complete contrast Alexander showed not one whit of interest in marriage or the succession other than a political marriage forced upon him by more than two years of insurrection in the eastern provinces.

It might be observed that the lack of a defined heir at his death was indeed for lack of trying.
It might be so observed, but that would hardly be fair. Are we not tip-toeing around the elephant in the room here? It is very difficult for a man to get a woman pregnant if he's not that way inclined.
We know that Alexander gave thought to the future; we see it in his training up of the Persian boys, his foundation of cities, etc. So it's likely he gave thought to the succession, and his duties in that regard. But how easy to put it off, when you don't really want to. When you're in love with someone who can't give you a son, and yes, I am talking about Hephaistion.
We can assume that he intended to marry Stateira one day, because of giving her tutors to teach her Greek. But it must have seemed then that there was no tearing hurry - when he got back from the east would do, and IMO they were also waiting until Drypetis should be old enough to marry Hephaistion. In the meantime, he had also married Roxane, and in this I think he was faithfully following his father's example of settling problems with a marriage alliance.
When the time came for the marriages at Susa, he knew it was time for him to make the effort, and two brides confirms that. As for all the others, it's not impossible that he was thinking along the lines of 'I've shared every hardship with you - now you can share mine!'
We don't know how hard he tried. Maybe he tried very hard - maybe he didn't try much at all. But it's interesting that we don't hear about a baby in the main sources until after Hephaistion's death. It's almost as if Alexander knew his own death wouldn't be too far off, and at that point, he really did try. Under those circumstances, his care for the future is utterly remarkable.
Yes, it's possible that Alexander put his love for Hephaistion before the need of his empire for an heir. But if he did, then in this he was not a failure, because the story of a love like that will outlast any number of empires.
You may ignore this, or answer it with another 'Oh, dear'. That doesn't matter. I know there are lurkers out there who will agree with every word of this - indeed, I can hear them cheering - and it needs saying.
Fiona
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Fiona wrote:
Paralus wrote:

It might be so observed, but that would hardly be fair. Are we not tip-toeing around the elephant in the room here? It is very difficult for a man to get a woman pregnant if he's not that way inclined.
That just may go charging through this thread as did Seleucus’ pachyderms Antigonus' battle line at Ipsus.

You might well be right. We don’t know though and we likely never will. All that we do know is that the record suggests he gave no thought to the provision of an heir until it was far too late. It will be argued that we only know it was far too late via hindsight. That ignores the fact that Philip set about it at an early age for the very reason that one living such a life – and a Macedonian monarch to boot – could reasonably expect to depart for Hades long before one reached Isocrates’ age.

If his utterance about leaving his empire to “the strongest” to fight over is anywhere near the truth – and not simply a later Diadoch invention to cover their grasping ambitions and actions – then such recklessness is confirmed.
Phoebus wrote:I would think that this sort of cultural compromise shows that there was an understanding of the need to be culturally inclusive (even as part of a greater agenda), that this needed to extend beyong the battlefield and that the king was willing to do all this.
Yes, but, all within the understanding that the Macedonians were the ruling socio-ethnic elite now. This is demonstrated by the seating at the banquet. The Achaemenids had done very well in establishing their ruling socio-ethnic elite over some two and a half centuries. The Persian “diaspora” amongst the wholly absorbed territories was well entrenched and the King’s “friends” and “kinsmen” as well as those accorded royal favour worked well within the local populations. Mazaeus, whose sons bear Babylonian names, would seem to show he had close connections to the Babylonian “elites”. Hence Alexander’s diplomatic moves that saw him turn the city over to him post Gaugamela.

Whether Alexander’s experiment would have succeeded we don’t know. It was a rather abrupt re-aligning of the power elite. In any case, after his death, his marshals were to have little taste for it. Macedonian/Greek implants were to be the order. Even if Seleucus – from a weak position and with everything to gain – seems to have succeeded where Peucestas did not.
Phoebus wrote:Well that' a rather poor batting average on Phillip's end, then, isn't it? I'd argue that he married young because he took the throne young and married often because the political need was there.

Alexander, on the other hand, was not in a situation where he required to establish dynastic marital alliances to keep his kingdom together. If anything, marrying in Macedon before leaving would have only led to perceptions of favoritism. Where his scion is concerned, there is hardly a guarantee that he would have survived his the events after his father's death.
Although the corpus of literary evidence for Philip is not that of Alexander, I would think it a stretch to say that any of his wives and (surviving) children were not recorded in what we do have. That said the sources are not always so interested in children who may have died soon after birth. They are not always clear on those who didn’t – the doubts over Caranus are a case in point. That Philip did not sire further sons may be due to anything from miscarriages to infant mortality to being quite happy with Alexander (after he’d gotten by the danger period) or plain bad luck. We don’t know. Seven wives do indicate a decided willingness though. We should note that he was in the process of leaving behind another at the time of his murder.

I wouldn’t so much argue with the wife for every campaign theme. That in no way diminishes the fact that he did marry and he did procreate. To Philip the Macedonian state was a plasticine work constantly being remodelled. That which we know as this state is largely down to him. Within that remodelling process he opened up both the citizenship of the state and the hetairoi (including pages) to “outsiders” including Greeks. Thus any of these women might – and did, Olympias – bear him heirs.

I would disagree about Alexander. To begin with, if Philip took the throne "young" (22 or 23 depending which year), Alexander took it even younger. Philip, however, was going nowhere without there being a provision for the – always likely – fact that he or Alexander would not come back. A pity it was a girl he was leaving. In any case, there were clear Argaed claimants to the throne (which Alexander subsequently eliminated). Alexander was leaving no-one. As well, he wasn’t planning to be back next winter, or summer - he was going for the duration; however long it took him to achieve his ends.

Arguments have been run about Antipater and Parmenio having a vested interest in such a child. So will have any other decent Macedonian baron with a marriageable daughter. Any such issue will have been the responsibility of Antipater – and of the Queen mother. Arguments that any such child will have suffered the fate of Alexander’s later son by Roxanne are not a reasonable comparison. By the time Alexander IV was murdered by Cassander, at the age of thirteen, the Diadoch wars had been raging for some dozen years curtesy of the power vacuum created by Alexander's death. An Alexander IV left in Macedonia will have been a similar age at the time of his father’s death. All in all a different thing to six month unborn foetus of indeterminate sex, to be born of a barbarian and not at all assured of surviving its first year.

Regardless of the marshals at Babylon and the Macedonians with Craterus, one can rest reasonably assured that Olympias will have engineered the acclamation of her grandson with some alacrity. How it might have played from there is the realm of fiction. The scheming of Perdiccas would, most certainly, have been that much more difficult though.

Alexander did, though, have a dynastic marriage forced upon him: Roxanne. This was the price of peace in the eastern rim. As well I would argue that his personal marriage alliances in Susa were exactly that: alliances to attempt a similar accord with the Iranian aristocracy after the insubordination and rebellion whist he was in India.
Phoebus wrote:Did Perdiccas ever express such a disdain (not yours, I by no means you think of Alex. IV in such terms) for the heir? You know I respect your opinions and scholarship, but I think sometimes you can be quite cynical!
Moi? Cynical? Not on your nelly. Next thing you'll suggest I enjoy the odd rhetorical hand grenade!

That was not intended as Perdiccas’ view of the unborn child. It was the view of the Macedonian majority though. Perdiccas’ feelings over the mixed ethnicity of the yet to be born Alexander IV were limited only to the splendid opportunity it offered him. To Perdiccas getting this unborn heir “up” and accepted would guarantee him a regency of eighteen years and if the issue was female then so much the better. A new Philip was the man Perdiccas saw gazing back at him from his resplendent silverware.

In the end, after much argument and spilled blood, he accepted the regency of the dual kings . He had won what he wanted: primacy among the marshals of empire. His exercise of that primacy was somewhat high-handed and naked in its ambition and it would do him in ignominiously.
Last edited by Paralus on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paralus

Academia.edu
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Paralus wrote:
That just may go charging through this thread as did Seleucus’ pachyderms Antigonus' battle line at Ipsus.

:) Quality pachyderms for all occasions supplied at very reasonable prices!
Fiona
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Fiona wrote: Quality pachyderms for all occasions supplied at very reasonable prices!
Fiona
Ha, ha, ha. I have a requirement for some 'quality pachyderms'. Don't know that more than two will fit though. Entertainment on a front lawn for a rather important symposium: perhaps I can get a fellow to dress up as Porus?
Paralus

Academia.edu