The Gedrosian and Animal Sacrifice

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

The Gedrosian and Animal Sacrifice

Post by rocktupac »

It has been said that Alexander sacrificed everyday, displaying his fervent devotion to the gods. If we hypothetically agree to this, could a task such as sacrificing an animal each day be possible while leading the army through the Gedrosian desert?

(Unless I'm mistaken and by "sacrificing" it is meant sometimes without the use of animals.)
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: The Gedrosian and Animal Sacrifice

Post by marcus »

rocktupac wrote:It has been said that Alexander sacrificed everyday, displaying his fervent devotion to the gods. If we hypothetically agree to this, could a task such as sacrificing an animal each day be possible while leading the army through the Gedrosian desert?
Hmm, interesting question. I suspect that there were times when it just wasn't feasible to sacrifice, such as, as you say, the Gedrosian desert. There were probably many times in Bactria and India when it wasn't feasible, either (not least when Alexander was on what many thought was his death bed, naturally).

However, you could well be right that "sacrifice" didn't necessarily call for an animal to be slaughtered. When he crossed the Hellespont he did pour a libation into the sea; and perhaps that's all that was required at other times. There's a painting (which I think came from the 1968 National Geographic article) of Alexander pouring away the helmet of water in the Gedrosian desert, and it looks remarkably like a proper religious ritual.

So perhaps you've hit the nail on the head, there.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
derek

Post by derek »

Animal sacrifices were expensive and most Greeks could only afford it for special occasions. Now, Alexander was probably the only person who could have afforded it, but they also sacrificed incense and various foods such as bread, so he probably only offered a blood sacrifice when it was practical or required.

Another example when it wasn't practical would be when his men were down to eating roots when crossing the Hindu Kush. Also, would he have dragged sacrificial animals along when he went off on special missions like the Persian Gates and Aornus? I'd have said unlikely. He blamed the death of Cleitus on forgetting to sacrifice to Dionysus, so there's an example that he did let standards slip now and then.

More likely he sacrificed animals when he could, but not every day.
aleksandros

Post by aleksandros »

The event with the last cup of water didn't happen in Gedrosia but in the desert between Oxus and Hindu Kush. Correct me if i m wrong.
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

As usual there are various versions of the story with a different setting and outcome, in one he sends the water to the sick - so no one can really tell you that you are wrong. With regard to the sacrifice it is right that that does not imply a blood sacrifice. In the Kleitos story he does sacrifice, to the wrong Gods - dioscuri as opposed to Dionysos - and Kleitos was said to have been followed by the sacrificial victims of his observance when summoned by Alexander to taste apples - though one should probably take that with a pinch of salt or more apprpriately, incense, given the thread.
derek

Post by derek »

I looked it up last night, and the usual sacrifice was a few grains of barley. That's what they'd have used for daily prayers, and would have been all the poor could afford. They also put cakes and pastries on the fire, and milk or honey were the usual liquid libations. A favourite offering was the first pick whenever a fruit or vegetable came into season. Blood sacrifices were mandatory when swearing an oath, but otherwise tended to be reserved for feast days and special events. I expect Alexander sacrificed animals quite rarely. When he was starting a new campaign or celebrating a victory, that kind of thing.

Derek
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

derek wrote: I expect Alexander sacrificed animals quite rarely. When he was starting a new campaign or celebrating a victory, that kind of thing.
I respectfully beg to differ, mostly because the nature of sacrifice in battle, on campaign, and by the king of a country was very different from the daily offerings that were made by the average Greek to the household gods. Greek history is full of records of animal sacrifice both on the march and before a battle. Michael H. Jameson in Sacrifice Before Battle, Hoplites: The Classical Greek Battle Experience (1991, Editor V.D. Hanson) explains:
For the earliest stages in the sequence of rites we look to the Spartans who offer the fullest examples of religious practice in warfare, though other cities certainly followed the same procedures, no doubt less rigidly and with their own distinctive practices . . . When the army marched out it was accompanied by a flock of sacrificial sheep, led by goats (Paus. 9.13.4). These were the most common sacrificial victims and could keep up with the army in its march over the mountainous borders of Greece. Before crossing any river or the sea, sacrifices were made and favorable signs looked for in order to continue.

On the march sacrifices were performed frequently, perhaps every morning and certainly before every important undertaking such building a fort (Xen. Hell. 4.7.7) or attacking a town (ibid. 3.1.17), but no more than three victims a day could be assayed (ibid. 6.4.16 and 19). The advisability of meeting the enemy at any particular place and time was always verified through signs derived from sacrifice. When the two forces were drawn up and facing each other, a final sacrifice was made in front of the battle line. . .
The Alexander histories have plenty of references to animal sacrifice and I see no reason why the daily sacrifice would not also have included animal victims. Alexander was, after all, representing Macedonia itself when he performed these rituals, and I don’t think that an offering of a handful of grain or incense alone would have sufficed. I fully understand how the question can be raised whether it was possible during the march through Gedrosia, but, on the other hand, there were camp followers galore accompanying the army and they did start out with some supplies, so why should there not also have been a small flock of sheep with the army? Despite the hardships of hunger and thirst there wouldn’t have been a single soldier there who didn’t understand the necessity and importance of the daily sacrifice.

My thoughts anyway. . . :)

Best regards,
Last edited by amyntoros on Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
derek

Post by derek »

Amyntoros,

You're probably right. Alexander knew upsetting the gods could cause a disaster, so he probably took no chances when sacrificing. I'll change what I said to: I expect he frequently sacrificed animals when on campaign, but not so much as we tend to think when he wasn't, (in a palace, in camp for the winter and so on).

Derek
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:The Alexander histories have plenty of references to animal sacrifice and I see no reason why the daily sacrifice would not also have included animal victims. Alexander was, after all, representing Macedonia itself when he performed these rituals, and I don’t think that an offering of a handful of grain or incense alone would have sufficed. I fully understand how the question can be raised whether it was possible during the march through Gedrosia, but, on the other hand, there were camp followers galore accompanying the army and they did start out with some supplies, so why should there not also have been a small flock of sheep with the army? Despite the hardships of hunger and thirst there wouldn’t have been a single soldier there who didn’t understand the necessity and importance of the daily sacrifice.
You are right that everyone would have understood the necessity - my thoughts were on the practicality, and the gods would have understood that ... :wink:

Yes, any time when it was possible/feasible, I am sure Alexander would have sacrificed; and no doubt it was often an animal.

I thought this morning of another occasion when a full-blown animal sacrifice was probably not conducted - the pursuit of Darius from Ecbatana. Considering the distance travelled in such short times, the reported rigours of the journey adding weight to this, I find it hard to believe that more than a token sacrifice was possible at the start of each day. Some grain, wine or water, maybe, but very unlikely that an animal would have been sacrificed then.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Sacrifices indeed. Over here we call it slaughter we know they killed the horses etc because they were bloody starving. So to execute a bul most definately as long as the beast was spit roasted. :D

Kenny
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

On the subject of sacrifice, I have always wanted to make a study of the relationship between the humble lamb/ram/sheep and Mecedonian sacrifice. Unfortunately, havn't had the time.

It is interesting to note that Herodotus' account of the Ammonians at Siwah states they sacrificed sheep once a year and for the most part only sacrificed goats.

If I remember correctly, there are a number of accounts in the Alexander sources where sheep are sacrificed. This puts an interesting spin on the notion of Alexander as the son of Ammon. (Perhaps!)

Their are also a couple of episodes where sheep play rather significant roles in the tale of Alexander. The two that come to mind are when Cleitus is about to offer a sheep sacrifce prior to his murder and another where Alexander is horrified by the pressence of a disfigured ewe. I have a feeling these refrences perhaps have more significance than has previously thought.

Cheers!
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Disfigured ewe?

Post by karen »

Smittysmitty wrote:
Alexander is horrified by the pressence of a disfigured ewe
Where's that from? I don't think I've ever run into it.

ATB
Karen
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Disfigured ewe?

Post by marcus »

karen wrote:Smittysmitty wrote:
Alexander is horrified by the pressence of a disfigured ewe
Where's that from? I don't think I've ever run into it.

ATB
Karen
When a sheep yeaned a lamb which had upon its head what looked like a tiara in form and colour, with testicles on either side of it, Alexander was filled with loathing at the portent, and had himself purified by the Babylonians, whom he was accustomed to take along with him for such purposes ..."

Plutarch, Life of Alexander, 57.3
ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Did Phillip sacrifice as much as Alexander?

Post by jan »

Does anyone know whether Phillip was also in the practice of daily sacrifices? On his wedding day, is anything mentioned about a sacrifice? Just asking... :D Also, at the battle of Charonea? Were sacrifices mentioned then?
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Did Phillip sacrifice as much as Alexander?

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:Does anyone know whether Phillip was also in the practice of daily sacrifices? On his wedding day, is anything mentioned about a sacrifice? Just asking... :D Also, at the battle of Charonea? Were sacrifices mentioned then?
Hmm, good question, Jan.

I have to admit that I'm not as familiar with Philip's history/sources as I am with Alexander's. I suspect that he probably was - conducting the sacrifices was very much the king's "job" (as defender of the kingdom, having to keep in with the gods as a supplicant for his subjects, etc.).

We certainly know that he took his religion seriously, and his religious obligations - after all, he set himself up as the defender against sacrilege when he took leadership of the Amphictyonic League, and at one point he crowned his soldiers with flowers (can't remember which type) to symbolise their role as champions of Apollo.

So on balance I would say yes, but others might have to supply chapter and verse.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK