Syracuse

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Syracuse

Post by marcus »

Not anything to do with Alexander, I'm afraid, but hoping one or more fellow Pothosians might be able to help ...Would anyone be able to recommend a good book (preferably with good pics and maps) about ancient Sicily, and Syracuse in particular? I'm especially interested in Syracuse in the 350s/340s BC.Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions.ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Taphoi

Re: Syracuse

Post by Taphoi »

Plato, Letters VII & VIII, available in Penguin Classics with Phaedrus.Best wishes,Andrew
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

Plato, Letters VII & VIII, available in Penguin Classics with Phaedrus.Best wishes,Andrew
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

& Plutarch's Lives of Dion & Timoleon, of course - e.g. in the Age of Alexander Penguin.Best wishes,Andrew
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

& Plutarch's Lives of Dion & Timoleon, of course - e.g. in the Age of Alexander Penguin.Best wishes,Andrew
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

I had no idea of the content of Plato's letters VII and VIII, but I do know where to find them on the web!http://www.ac-nice.fr/philo/textes/Plat ... htmBelieve they're also on Perseus, but they're much easier to read here on a single web page.ATBAmyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

I had no idea of the content of Plato's letters VII and VIII, but I do know where to find them on the web!http://www.ac-nice.fr/philo/textes/Plat ... htmBelieve they're also on Perseus, but they're much easier to read here on a single web page.ATBAmyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Thanks, Andrew. I have Dion and Timoleon - it was because of those that I was looking for more depth! :-)I shall look at the Pliny letters.Thanks again.Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Thanks, Andrew. I have Dion and Timoleon - it was because of those that I was looking for more depth! :-)I shall look at the Pliny letters.Thanks again.Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

As always, you help enormously with direct links.Thank you!ATBMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

As always, you help enormously with direct links.Thank you!ATBMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Oops - I didn't mean Pliny

Post by marcus »

I mean Plato letters, of course. That's what comes of rushing things!CheersMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Oops - I didn't mean Pliny

Post by marcus »

I mean Plato letters, of course. That's what comes of rushing things!CheersMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Hail MarcusAll i know about Syracuse IS that Archemedes was butchered there by Roman soldiers.Apparently he was working on something and the Romans thought he was inventing a war engine to use against them. And was it there that the Claw was used An invention that apparently picked up ships and smashed them against the walls.Sorrykenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Hail MarcusAll i know about Syracuse IS that Archemedes was butchered there by Roman soldiers.Apparently he was working on something and the Romans thought he was inventing a war engine to use against them. And was it there that the Claw was used An invention that apparently picked up ships and smashed them against the walls.Sorrykenny