Mystery

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Gary E. Weedman

Mystery

Post by Gary E. Weedman »

Some time ago I saw a reference to sessions that Alexander had with his generals after a battle during which time he explained to them how all of the parts of the battle plan fitted together for a total plan of victory. This meeting was called "the mystery" session (musth\rion). I can not find the reference. I want to document this use of the Greek word.Any suggestions?
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Mystery

Post by marcus »

No idea, but I'm extremely intrigued. I hope someone is able to shed light on this!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

I've never seen this, it's either in minor sources (where I've never seen it) - or it's apocryphal.Susan
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I too have never heard of this but it does recall the sort of tidbits to be found in Plutarch's 'Moralia' or perhaps Athenaeus' 'Deipnosophistai', conversely it may be a Suidas type gloss on the word 'mysterion'.My knowledge of these minor sources is insufficient to point anyone further than the index of the loeb translations, sadly(?).
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.