Perses ancestor of Persia

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Phalanx Pursos
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

I had enough of this denial...
Lets talk about something else shall we, Perses anyone? What did he do during his life time, is there any recorded history about Perses and Aethiopia?
Aristoteles;
"Friendship is essentially a partnership"
ImageImage
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Not to be rude, but why should we shift topics when you've demonstrated that you're not really interested in what the extant record has to say?

Are we simply going to cease conversation when you decide that we're simply "in denial" about a mythological Mycenean hero serving as the founder of the Persian empire?
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Hi Phoebus.

You kow there are many different cultures especially in ancient history, these differences in culture really don't matter at all. What does matter, is the people who lead them.
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Even if we take such an amazing generalization (that differences in culture don't matter) as a matter of fact...

Alexander was simply NOT Thracian. His mother was Epirote, apparently as far back as the Bronze Age. His father was half-Macedonian (on his father's part) and Lyncestian, Illyrian, and Corinthian on his mother's part. He neither had Thracian blood nor did he speak the Thracian tongue.

I have no idea where you got the idea that Thracians and Macedonians are alike. I'm even more non-plussed as to how you came up with the idea that the Argead dynasty was a Thracian one.
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Phoebus wrote:I'm even more non-plussed as to how you came up with the idea that the Argead dynasty was a Thracian one.
Hi Phoebus.

We are all Humans, that's why we are all related to eachother. For that matter of fact Alexander the great was related to the Eskimos, for the simple fact that they are Humans.

Why see racial differences when we are all Humans ?
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

In that case, your own premise is just as flawed: you claimed from the get-go that...

"Thrace & Macedon are both Thracian states, not Greek."

...which flies in the face of what you're claiming now.

Also, I said nothing about "racial" differences. I specifically stated that there were ethnic, cultural and linguistic differences. As in, they were from different kingfoms, they had different societies/cultures, and they spoke different languages. All that is proven by the historical record. The idea that Macedon was a Thracian state, or that Alexander was a Thracian himself, is not.
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Phoebus wrote:In that case, your own premise is just as flawed:
Polyphoebus !

I declare that we are all men, driven and wandering by all manner of winds. But I on my part, am just visiting here. In the hope that I could find some entertainment, or in other wise make some present, as it is with strangers. You haven't vacated any of your premises, but your premises certainly were not that of Perses. I did base my premise on the cultural studies which I have done, at least I haven't vacated anything just yet, just like yourself. Phoebus why don't you take and drink some wine, that you may know what manner of drink this is. It was to you that I was bringing this proposal of drinking honey sweet wine, in the hope that you, touched with pity, might give me my way. But thou ragest in a way that is past all bearing. Cruel man, how shall any one of all the multitudes of men ever come to thee again hereafter, seeing that thou hast wrought this fearful discontent?
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Hi everyone.

It seems to me that Alexander the great reclaimed all of Mycenae which was taken from Greece by the ancient Persians, Alexander the great did a memorable job in reclaiming this territory sacred to ancient Greek history. If you truly admire the history of Mycenae, then you also have to admire Alexander, Ptolemy & Seleucus.

Because those Macedonains reclaimed Mycenae with cities like Halicarnassus & Tarsus.
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Again, you offer words... but no evidence to back them other than a fancy of what might have been. Names are nice and all, but not when they are merely what the Hellenes used--even when the natives themselves used others. Aristotle may have spoke of Dareius and Xerxes to Alexander, but neither of the two Persian kings ever called himself that, just as they never called their religious capital "Persepolis" in their native tongue.

This is not different than the fact that no Greek today calls himself a "Greek" in his own language. :wink:
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Phoebus wrote:Again, you offer words... but no evidence to back them other than a fancy of what might have been. Names are nice and all, but not when they are merely what the Hellenes used--even when the natives themselves used others.
Very persuading.

But then again, I have given you evidence. But you refused it, that's fine man ! No problem, eventhough we have different lines of thoughts we still can share the same interests. As far as I am concerned; the ancient Moroccans knew the Earth was round between 10.000 & 5000 BC, so there is no need to secretly stick to my thesis like Galileo.

In ancient times tribes were named after the tribal leader or king; the Pelasgians were descendants of king Pelasgus, Danaans descendants of king Danaus, Egytpians descendants of king Aegyptus, Pelopides descendants of Pelops, Hellenes descendants of Hellen, Dorians descendants of Dorus, Ionians descendants of Ionas, Atreids descendants of Atreus, Perseids descendants of Perseus but Mycenae was actually named after a mushroom.
Last edited by Phalanx Pursos on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Phoebus? Just a piece of totally un-asked for and utterly gratuitous advice:

Never argue in the language of science with a creationist. 'Tis Greek to Sanskrit.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Paralus wrote:Never argue in the language of science with a creationist. 'Tis Greek to Sanskrit.
No really man.

You guys regard me as a person, who literary makes up walking in the middle of the street that the ancient Moroccans knew the Earth was round approximately 10.000 to 5.000 B.C. ?

Or have you guys been missing out on a certain chapter of ancient history?
Last edited by Phalanx Pursos on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Phalanx Pursos, this is a forum for debate and debate, by its very nature, will often mean disagreement between members on whatever matter is being discussed. Please try to keep this in mind.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

amyntoros wrote:Phalanx Pursos, this is a forum for debate and debate, by its very nature, will often mean disagreement between members on whatever matter is being discussed. Please try to keep this in mind.

Best regards,
Greetings Amyntoros.

I will apologise for this inconvenience, this is a draw because I hereby resign. Because there are better things to do, I will now totally withdraw from the battle without any intention to renew the attack.

To show that I am a man of many devices.

You won't be bothered by me for some time, I'll just keep on wandering by full many ways.

Good luck and thanks for the reply.

Best regards,
Alex.
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Phalanx Pursos wrote:
amyntoros wrote:Phalanx Pursos, this is a forum for debate and debate, by its very nature, will often mean disagreement between members on whatever matter is being discussed. Please try to keep this in mind.

Best regards,
Greetings Amyntoros.

I will apologise for this inconvenience, this is a draw because I hereby resign. Because there are better things to do, I will now totally withdraw from the battle without any intention to renew the attack.

To show that I am a man of many devices.

You won't be bothered by me for some time, I'll just keep on wandering by full many ways.

Good luck and thanks for the reply.

Best regards,
Alex.
If you wish, although I'm not sure why reminding you that this is a place for debate should prompt you to leave us. I wasn't by any means suggesting that you were "inconveniencing" us, just letting you know that you should sometimes expect others here not to see things in the same way as yourself. The forum isn't about "win, lose, or draw" but about discussion of all things concerning Alexander and his time, and members do expect to see some kind of supporting evidence from the sources for any theory presented because it facilitates the debate.

If you do leave us (for a time) I wish you well. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor