aahhh ! :)

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

susa

aahhh ! :)

Post by susa »

"Susa's comment assumed far too much based in prejudicial stereotypes that, in this new millenium, should have gone the way of the dinosaur."You know, guys, there's a Brazilian writer who once said that people should be careful with irony [or anything of this nature], because it [irony] can play tricks on people's minds, and then the effect intended [irony] would go astray.Oh, i thought my post hasn't been actually posted because i closed the Browser window before i could certify myself!:)i
S

Re: aahhh ! :)

Post by S »

Greetings Susa,
No irony intended- I felt the point of the deletion (which no, I did not, but I certainly agreed with it)was that you can discuss whether or not Hephaistion was relevant without the use of pointless slurs that might well be hurtful to other posters (as well as being outdated). I think its time we recognize the harm- historically and globally- prejudice has caused- and continues to cause- there's been enough bloodshed, barbaric cruelty, torture and imprisonment of the Other, I would think.
As to Hephaistion's relevance, we can fairly surmise he was relevant to Alexander for many reasons, both personal and in the accomplishments of goals, whether militarily or politically. How do you see him as irrelevant?
Regards,
Sikander
John.

Trigger-happy Moderators?

Post by John. »

Hi Susa,Nick made it seem like someone was attacking me, when he gave his explanation for deleting the response for my "Where's the Thread" post. Actually, it was Andrew's post he deleted, who was taking my side, counselling one of the moderators to stop "hitting the bottle."Now I've changed my mind about Halloween goblins deleting the thread. I think it was a willful act by one of the moderators.You know what they say: power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.But now they're messing with you? I see fire and brimstone.John
S

Re: Moderated Forum

Post by S »

Greetings,
I have had several innocuous messages disappear this past week, so I side more with the technical difficulties. And darn it, some of my best puns were lost. Regarding the deletions, when I joined this Forum several years back, I understood that posts would be deleted if the moderators felt there was just cause, and one of those just causes was disrespect for or insult to another Forum member, as well as racial and other epithets... As far as I can tell, the moderators have maintained this policy as fairly as possible.

I joined the Forum with this understanding. Because we have new people coming on Board, it might be time to re-post some guidelines. I am aware that on other forums, personal attacks and slurs on all manner of things are allowed, but that has never been the tone of this particular Forum; it has developed a positive reputation because of it, and is often recomended by educators to their students. I would hate to see this change. It means we each have to govern ourselves more closely, perhaps, but that is not always a bad thing.Debate and discussion can occur over facts and possibilities and even reach a point at which people have to agree to disagree without people having to resort to negative epithets and aspersions.
When this does occur, it is the moderators job to handle it- and part of what we each accept upon joining.
Regards,
Sikander
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Trigger-happy Moderators?

Post by marcus »

Why are we all behaving like children? (and before anyone complains, I'm talking about all of us, not any individuals).I have never had a post deleted from this forum. If I ever post something that one of the moderators (and I'm not one myself) feels should be deleted, then I will accept the decision, end of story. The whole point of the moderators is to try and keep this site a friendly, relevant place that people like coming to in order to discuss Alexander. Personally, I think about every post that I write before sending it, and I have often deleted things or re-written them in order to make them as fair and non-personal as possible - and Lord knows there have been times when I've wanted to call people imbeciles, and worse, as no doubt there have been times when others have wanted to do the same to me. The moderators have to make decisions and, gosh, sometimes we might not like those decisions. But one thing I am convinced of: without any moderators this forum would turn into a quagmire of irrelevance and insults... if it didn't disappear altogether.So why don't we let the moderators get on with their unenviable task; re-read every post we write before sending it; and expend our energies on what brought us to the site in the first place? Otherwise we might as well just go home...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

With all due respect yours and my post were deleted when one of those (taboo) Greek/Macedonian things popped up we both mentioned how it might be acceptable to discuss Alexander's ethnic origin but I'm learning a lesson and trying to curve my post's to more of a positive note and leave my assertive stuff for the regular email. Now if can keep away from the squeeze of the grape while on line I'll be OK, wish me luck and I thank you all for making me a better person!
s

Re: aahhh ! :)

Post by s »

The irony was all mine, Sikander, still is, and will always be. I am incurably ironical.:( :(Ten yrs of psychoanalysis, and see where it got me.Ah, and before i forget it, i ask the gentlemen to kindly notice that i didn't complain that my post [ex-post] was deleted.
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Another thing that IGÇÖd like to add is that many of our visitors are not natural English speakers, and it is often a big effort for them to read the messages on the forum let alone post a message themselves. When IGÇÖm writing a message, I try to review it before I send it, to check that someone from a different culture and language can understand it as clearly as possible. I think that one of the great strengths of the forum is the number of new visitors that we get GÇô it would be a great shame for these people to leave with the impression that the forum is an uncomfortable place to be. I sometimes think of it like AlexanderGÇÖs court with visitors from different countries bringing in different ideas. There are bound to be tensions now as then, but the important thing is to keep the discussion polite, and then the forum's reputation will grow and attract more visitors.RegardsSusan
John.

Post by John. »

I hate overly-polite gatherings, where people put up a facade of kindness and hold a knife behind their back. I don't think Alexander would fit in there, either. Remember what was said, it was safer to be on the battlefield than at one of Alexander's banquets. George Washington, with all his ballroom dancing, might have fit in, but not Alexander.So good-bye. Enjoy your tea party and your deletion knife.John
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

John,
Don't let my subterfuge fool you, your the only friend I got, most people in this forum don't want to realize if you or I and whoever were drinking with Alexander plus anyone of us spoke the wrong way he'd kill us in a heart beat. Sometimes I feel like Tito you know, the late and great leader of Yugoslavia, who tried to kept that part of Europe together especially after WWII. Don't hit the road I do not want to be the last Mohegan here in this forum so hang in there we can make them follow us through the Makran desert.