the time machine - results

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

nick

the time machine - results

Post by nick »

Hello Companions -To celebrate Alexander's birthday many of use made a choice for a certain event we would like to witness if time travel was possible. Here are the overall results. This is what we want to witness:Stavros - wants to catch up with Alexander at least four weeks before Gaugamela, to watch the army prepare for battle; stay 1 week after the battle to see Darius run.Musing - 1 week around Philip's wedding, 1 week around Philip's death, 1 week after the fall of Tyre and the week before Hephaistion's death.John - four weeks in Athens after the Greek defeat at Chaeronea.Chris - two weeks before and two weeks after Alexander's death.Susa - wants just a couple of seconds to lean close to him in Babylon and whisper 'Lord, beware...' (which definitely should be no fun at all).Thalestris - 1 week in Mieza, 1 week in Illyria (Alexander's exile), 1 week in Tyre (mole construction), 1 week in Zadracarta (Hyrcania).Ruthaki - four weeks in Sogdia to see the 'men with wings' scaling the Sogdian Rock and witness the wedding with Roxane afterwards.Maciek - has many wishes, but voluntary limits his
choice: the assault on the Malli town (India) where an arrow pierced Alexander's lung and Peucestas saved him.Sandra - she will be beamed back to 330 BC to see the trials of Philotas and Bessus.Manny Espinola - four weeks in Egypt with Alexander: the visit to Siwa, the construction of Alexandria and even a Nile cruise together with the 'reborn god'. Also wants to check the condition of the pyramids 2300 years ago.George - four weeks around Alexander's death to solve the mystery once and for all.Nick - wants to see Hydaspes battle to find out what really made Alexander turn back...Thank you for your contributions.Regards -
Nick
Thomas

Re: the time machine - results

Post by Thomas »

Sorry, I missed out on this (working away from home).My choice would be the assault on the Sogdian Rock. I would love to have seen:a) How he motivated his troops
b) The reaction of the Sogdians
c) What his relationship with Roxanne was really like.
d) How he transported a massive army in such difficult terrain.That's my 2p's worth.Thomas
John

Post by John »

If I remember correctly, he motivated his troops to scale the top of that rock with monetary rewards. I couldn't imagine Roxanne's reaction to finally meet in person the man who had caused such commotion/disruption in her life; I think his army had been warring in the region around that "rock" for two or three years before they turned their attention on it. How could she not faint?John
Nick Christakes

Post by Nick Christakes »

Hi Nick,
I missed out on this one as well...but looks so fun that I'll have to add my two bits!Let's start out by visiting his school and sitting in on a lecture given by Aristotle...especially as Alexander is given a question that he cannot answer. I'd like to see his calvalcade and dance routine which routed the Taulantians, and later on I'd again like to see the "Battle of Guagamela" unfold before my very eyes. Of course, that little gem on the Hydaspes would be the trip of a lifetime...just to see the intricate movements and trickiness of Alexander in his prime...just have to remember to bring an umbrella and a nice change of clothes, as I hear the monsoon season can be rather wet and hard on the tourist. I'd also like to be a bug on the wall to see Olympias face as she heard about Philip's death, Euridices death, and her son's victories in the east.
later NIcator
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yes, it was financial all right - a talent of silver (60Kg) as far as I remember. An awful lot of money, but surely that is not enough?"Climb up this sheer cliff with no weapons in the icy cold, and when you get there simply wave at the enemy. *If* you survive I'll give you lots of money."Not sure that would appeal to me...
HEPHAISTION

Post by HEPHAISTION »

I WOULD LIKE TO BE PRESENT WHEN ALEXANDER CUT THE VINCULUM IN GORDIO.
Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

Great fun, Nick!! If Socrates is correct that the soul never dies, Alexander's soul, wherever it may be, hopefully, is aware his disciples live on in the ages beyond his death into the 21 century!! If Megalexandros is indeed *asleep* according to Greek Orthodox tradition, perhaps we will ALL meet again. It's a hope I have .