KASSANDROS

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

HEPHAISTION

KASSANDROS

Post by HEPHAISTION »

WELL, WHEN KASSANDROS SAW ALEXANDER (WHO WAS NOT TALL) SITTING TO THE PERSIAN THRONE STARTED LAUGHING AND ALEXANDER HIT HIM. SO, WHEN KASSANDROS, AFTER ALEXANDER'S DEATH, SAW IN DELPHI AN ALEXANDER'S STATUE HE STARTED RUNNING AFRAID THAT HE SAW ALEXANDER!!!
John

Re: KASSANDROS

Post by John »

I read that the statue made Cassander tremble and shake uncontrollably, and made his head swim. - Maybe it had something to do with him killing Alexander's mother (Olympias), wife (Roxanne) and son (Alexander IV).John
Nick Christakes

Post by Nick Christakes »

...or at least had them killed.
later Nicator
John

Post by John »

Hw WAS persistant, though. The first group he sent in to kill Olympias took one look at her, turned around, and walked out without doing anything. So Cassander thought up the bright idea of gathering relatives of those Olympias had killed, and sending THEM in to do the job - which, of couse, succeeded.John
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

And i have had the thrill of standing in the area where she was killed (stoned to death) and I imagined her, her eyes fixed on MT. Olympus as she died. (After all, she had named herself "Olympias" after the gods' place. Her real name was Myrto)Re Kassandros, yes it's said he got ill when he looked on Alexander's statue. Bad conscience no doubt.
sandra

Post by sandra »

Hey, where did You found such an information (I mean Olympias real name?)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

A bit like Macbeth when he sees Banquo's ghost, I imagine...All the bestMarcus
Tre

Post by Tre »

I think it was Myrtale as I recall - one of the histories (Plutarch?) mentions this was her name before it was changed. It would have been Philip who would have renamed her, supposedly for his Olympic victory (and no doubt giving birth to a son). She also had another name - I'll have to look that one up, but I'm at the office and don't have the books with me.Tre
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Tre,I knew about Myrtale, but didn't know she had another name as well. Please look that one up when you're within reach of your books!All the bestMarcus
HEPHAISTION

Post by HEPHAISTION »

NOT MYRTO, MYRTALY. THIS IS THE RIGHT. SUCH AS PLATO'S REAL NAME WAS ARISTOKLIES AND THEOFRASTOS'S REAL NAME WAS TYRTAMOS.
John

Post by John »

I can add TWO more names of Olympias besides Myrtale: Polyxena and Stratonice. Right Tre?John