battles

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

battles

Post by chris »

Alexander led from the front, and the battle line may have stretched over a mile. What was the command structure? How could Alexander make meaningful decisions when he was embroiled in the action, with the overall picture not visible to him?
nick
Somatophylax

Re: battles

Post by nick »

Hi Chris -We have tackled this question before, as I remember. In general, the answer must be: no. As Alexander led the attack, he could only have had a very vague idea about what was happening elsewhere. As I recall, but I should check, the line of battle was considerably longer than a mile, I thought in general 2,5 miles or something like that.The command structure you refer to has much in common with later Roman armies - commanders operating behind the lines, and a well-organized system to report them about progress in general. What Alexander did was "pre-planning" the battle. Observing the enemy line, judging what could be happening where, discussing various scenario's beforehand with his commanders. Then, with all possibilities and alternatives considered, they just entered the confrontation 'prepared'.In the past e.g. I already referred to Craterus instructions at the Hydaspes. Alexander's instructions to Craterus (see Fuller) consisted of six alternative scenario's. If A happens, do this. If B happens, do that. And so on.The famous story of Parmenion asking Alexander for help at Gaugamela has been disputed by many military historians.Regards -
Nick
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: battles

Post by ruthaki »

I understand that he always led from the Right Flank. It's simply amazing how he kept command of things under the circumstances when you consider the technology soldiers rely on today!