Valerius Maximus: Memorable Doings and Sayings #2

This forum is a copy of a site that contained Alexander source material compiled, and in some cases translated, by pothos members. The original site has now disappeared but the material is reproduced here to preserve it.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Valerius Maximus: Memorable Doings and Sayings #2

Post by Alexias »

Valerius Maximus
Edited and Translated by D. R. Shackleton Bailey
The Loeb Classical Library

Book VII. 3. ext. 1 Things Craftily Said or Done.

Alexander, king of the Macedonians, was warned by an oracle to order the first person he met after he went out of the gate to be killed. As it chanced, he met a donkey man and commanded him to be hauled off to his death. When the man asked why he should be sentenced to capital punishment, undeserving as he was and innocent, Alexander in excuse of his action related the oracle’s advice. “If that’s how it is your majesty,” said the donkey man, “the oracle meant for another to die, for the donkey that I was driving in front of me met you before I did.” Alexander was pleased with his cunning speech and pleased to be called back from a blunder, so he seized the opportunity to satisfy the religious requirement by the sacrifice of a somewhat cheaper life.* Great was his cunning; and equal the cunning of another monarch’s groom.

*Not found elsewhere.

Book VII. 3. ext. 4

The survival of the city of Lampsacus was thanks to a single stroke of craft. Alexander was earnestly bent on its destruction. Seeing his teacher Anaximenes come outside the walls obviously about to oppose his entreaties to his own wrath. Alexander swore that he would not do what he asked. Then said Anaximenes: “I ask that you destroy Lampsacus.” His swift sagacity rescued a town famous in historic renown from the ruin to which it had been destined.*

*334: Pausan. 6.18.2-4

Book VIII. 11. est. 2 How Great are the Effects of the Arts.

Moreover, how great do we suppose was the respect paid by king Alexander to the dignity of art, who would have himself painted only by Apelles and sculpted only by Lysippus?*

*“None of the Greek sources asserts the exclusion of other artists by royal edict. This looks like a pleasant but legendary touch in the Latin tradition and not the whole of it either. Cic. Fam. 5.12.7 only has potissimum.” (C. O. Brink on Hor. Ep. 2.1.239)

Book VIII. 14. ext. 2 Of Appetite for Glory.

Alexander’s appetite for fame was insatiable. He said to his companion Anaxarchus who was retailing on the authority of his teacher Democritus the existence of innumerable worlds: “Alas for me, I have not yet made myself master of one!” A holding that suffices for the domicile of all the gods was not large enough for one glory-hungry man.*

*Plut. Moral. 466D, Aelian Var. hist. 4.29

Book VIII. 14. ext. (3), 4 Of Appetite for Glory.

Glory is not neglected even by such as attempt to inculcate contempt for it, since they are careful to add their names to those very volumes, in order to attain by use of remembrance what they belittle in their professions. But whatever may be thought of their dissimulation, it is far more tolerable than the design of those who in their desire to be remembered forever did not scruple to gain notoriety even by their crimes.

Of their number perhaps Pausanias should be given first mention. For when he asked Hermocles how he could suddenly become famous and was told in reply that if he killed an illustrious man that man’s glory would redound to himself, he went and slew Philip, and indeed he achieved his purpose. For he made himself as well known to posterity by the murder as Philip by his achievements.*

*336: other sources ascribe a different motive, e.g. Justin 9.6f

Book IX. 3. (ext. praef.), ext. 1 Of Anger or Hatred.

One does not want to seek examples from unknowns and is reluctant to reproach great men with their vices. But since fidelity to my undertaking bids me embrace what stands out most conspicuously, let inclination yield to performance, provided that the narrator of what is necessary does not forget his ready approval of what is admirable.

Alexander’s irascibility almost snatched him from heaven. For what stood in the way of his ascending thither except for Lysimachus exposed to a lion(1) and Cleitus transfixed by a spear and Callisthenes ordered to die? Thereby he turned three great victories into defeats with an equal number of unjustified slayings of his friends.(2)

(1) Discredited by Curt. 8.1.14-17; cf., Justin 15.3 etc.
(2) The victories are Granicus, Issus, and Arbela; but Lysimachus was not killed by Alexander.

Book IX. 5. ext. 1 Of Arrogance and Outrageousness.

Enough of native examples, let external ones now be added. The prowess and good fortune of king Alexander ran riot in three conspicuous stages of insolence.* Despising Philip he adopted Jupiter Hammon as his father; wearying of Macedonian manners and attire he took up Persian dress and customs; scorning mortal state he imitated divine. He was not ashamed to falsify his identity as a son, a citizen, and a human being.

*Standard items.

Book IX. 10. ext. 2 Of Revenge.

It is a moot point whether the vengeance that carried off Jason of Thessaly as he was preparing for war against the king of Persia was sufficiently grounded. He had given permission to Taxillus, who was in charge of a gymnasium and complained that he had been beaten by some young fellows, either to make them pay three hundred drachmas apiece or to give each of them ten strokes. He chose the latter punishment. The recipients of the floggings, reckoning the extent of the punishment by pain of mind, not body, assassinated Jason. A small wound to personal honour frustrated the expectation of a great event. For the opinion of Greece puts the hope of Jason on a par with accomplishment of Alexander.