Direction of the forum

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Direction of the forum

Post by Paralus »

Alexias wrote:Yes, I was thinking of a board where people can post their own reviews and discuss what they've read.
Sounds good.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Ok, I've made a start on setting up new forums. Any suggestions/amendments/complaints, please let me know.

The next phases are
  • Moving existing posts to the new forums. This will take some time so will be a work in progress
    Updating the software. This may entail locking the forums over a weekend so that no posts are lost.
    Seeing if there are any new features to be added.
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Alexias wrote:Ok, I've made a start on setting up new forums. Any suggestions/amendments/complaints, please let me know.

The next phases are
  • Moving existing posts to the new forums. This will take some time so will be a work in progress
    Updating the software. This may entail locking the forums over a weekend so that no posts are lost.
When you move a thread, all posts go along for the ride. I think you can just do it as you go along.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Alexias wrote:Ok, I've made a start on setting up new forums. Any suggestions/amendments/complaints, please let me know.

The next phases are
Moving threads will be simple except for the reading/checking of some threads and deciding where they should best be placed. Of course the volume of posts means it will be somewhat time consuming. I promise to do my best to contribute although am a bit tied up at the moment. Expect to see me actively participating within a couple of weeks. Promise! :D

And many, many thanks for the work you have put in already.

Best Regards
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Sandros

Post by Sandros »

Thanks for taking over the forum and new changes! So far they look great!
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Glad there are no complaints so far!

Thanks for your offer of help, Amyntoros. I've hit a snag with moving threads in that if the thread goes over 1 page, it doesn't seem to want to move to another forum. This might involve splitting the thread, moving it, then merging it again.

A further stage I forgot to mention will be reviewing the content on the main site. If anyone wants to contribute a new essay or revise/update an existing one, please get writing!
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

I think if you just move the first post then all the rest of the thread will follow?

Aymez loyaulté
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

As far as I can see, you can only move a post to an existing topic.
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Alexias wrote:As far as I can see, you can only move a post to an existing topic.
I think you can move a thread to any forum by moving the first post. I'm not sure about moving to topics. Maybe I misunderstood.

Aymez loyaulté
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

It is being a bit temperamental. Some topics it simply will not move. Maybe because they are very old posts. Anyway, I've got round it by splitting the first post to a new topic in the board I'm moving it to, and then moving the remaining posts to the new topic. This seems to work.

Amyntoros, I have been through this board. I'll do the 'off-topic' one next, then it will just be the main board to do.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote: I promise to do my best to contribute although am a bit tied up at the moment. Expect to see me actively participating within a couple of weeks. Promise! :D

Best Regards
Is it an election year for Lunch Room Monitors??!!

Excellent work Alexias.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Alexias wrote:Glad there are no complaints so far!

A further stage I forgot to mention will be reviewing the content on the main site. If anyone wants to contribute a new essay or revise/update an existing one, please get writing!
Greetings Alexias,

I would like to see the original contents on the main site be archived PRIOR to any editing done.
Also, on original articles, we need to ensure that only the original writers can edit their works, unless we set up an "Addendun" thread under each article.
Or is this already set up to do so?

Regards,
Sikander
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Thanks, Sikander. Hopefully I've addressed your issues in the PM, but I don't envisage deleting any existing articles on the main site, and it won't be a question of everybody being able to edit the content themselves, although everyone is welcome to submit articles to you, Amyntoros or me for inclusion.
derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by derek »

I like the new layout. With more than one main site, it will hopefully encourage people to contribute; it could be quite daunting when there's only one thread on the go and the people discussing it are obvious experts.

And definitely keep it out of Facebook or any other closed site. Keep it accessible to all.

Derek
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Thanks for your comments, Derek. I tend to agree with both your points.