Marakanda/Afrosiab photos.

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Hando
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Marakanda/Afrosiab photos.

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 017_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 017_resized.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 7350 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 018_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 018_resized.jpg (54.14 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 019_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 019_resized.jpg (58.39 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 022_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 022_resized.jpg (46.98 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 023_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 023_resized.jpg (77.49 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 024_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 024_resized.jpg (42.41 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 028_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 028_resized.jpg (56.57 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 032_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 032_resized.jpg (66.47 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 034_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 034_resized.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
Hando

Post by Hando »

a
Attachments
AfrosiabBukhara 037_resized.jpg
AfrosiabBukhara 037_resized.jpg (58.33 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hando wrote:Thanks Marcus. Glad you got there too. Going through my photos and then comparing them to images found on google, I realised that although I went to Afrosiab, I did not go to the palace. How could I have missed it?! It's the only standing structure surrounded by nothing but flat sandy terrain for miles and yet in the two hours of exploration there I simply missed it. Did you find it? Does this photo of the palace look familiar to you? Assuming it is a palace and that it was around during Alexander's time?
Yes, I walked up into the citadel, and the palace was a further raised area at one end of that. At the time I went they hadn't exposed much of the walls, but there was a lovely cross-section excavation in the side of the 'acropolis'. I'll have to dig out some of my photos ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Hando

Post by Hando »

marcus wrote:At the time I went they hadn't exposed much of the walls, but there was a lovely cross-section excavation in the side of the 'acropolis'. I'll have to dig out some of my photos ...ATB
When did you go? I wonder when the palace walls were exposed. Does the photo (in the link I provided) of the palace look like when you were there or are the walls much more exposed in the photo (link)than when you were there? If so, did you get inside the palace?
I was there in October 2011 and I did not see it. I wonder if the reason I missed it was because they had not yet started excavating the palace walls when I was there. :cry:
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hando wrote:
marcus wrote:At the time I went they hadn't exposed much of the walls, but there was a lovely cross-section excavation in the side of the 'acropolis'. I'll have to dig out some of my photos ...ATB
When did you go? I wonder when the palace walls were exposed. Does the photo (in the link I provided) of the palace look like when you were there or are the walls much more exposed in the photo (link)than when you were there? If so, did you get inside the palace?
I was there in October 2011 and I did not see it. I wonder if the reason I missed it was because they had not yet started excavating the palace walls when I was there. :cry:
I went in April 2009. I don't recall the palace walls being as exposed as they are in the link picture. There were clear foundations for many if not all of the rooms, but I'm pretty sure the walls weren't there.

I want to go back at some point, anyway ... not sure when that will be, however.

I will dig out my pics, for sure ... but I have about a zillion other calls on my time at the moment ... :(

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Hando

Marakanda/Afrosiab photos.

Post by Hando »

marcus wrote:I went in April 2009. I don't recall the palace walls being as exposed as they are in the link picture. There were clear foundations for many if not all of the rooms, but I'm pretty sure the walls weren't there.
I will dig out my pics, for sure ... but I have about a zillion other calls on my time at the moment ... :( ATB
Great thanks for the answer.
I googled the palace and read that the palace was from around 7th or 8th century AD. (I think...), which has me feeling a little better. I am glad the palace was not there during Alexander's time. Otherwise, I would have missed the place (possibly) where Alexander killed Kleitus. I console myself by knowing that at least, I walked from outside (lower terrain) up the hill and into the citadel. Meaning I possibly walked where Alexander and his men fought and besieged the citadel.
And who knows whether Alexander killed Kleitus inside or outside a building structure. Although I tend to think it didn't occur in plain sight for all his troops to see.