New Movie - Young Alexander The Great

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

sergitoz

New Movie - Young Alexander The Great

Post by sergitoz »

To December 2010. Let´s wait and see how it is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390197/
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Re: New Movie - Young Alexander The Great

Post by athenas owl »

I don't think this is a new film at all...it's the same film that came out (or something, it's very confusing) some 5 or 6 years ago. The one I've seen referred jokingly to as "Alexander 90210"....

Interesting that it is being repackaged, though. And not mentioning that it is an older film. All the connected IMDB's show it as a 2010 release (odd that), but the message board for the film hasn't been scrubbed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390197/board/threads/

I was curious/bored? and went into the wikipedia history for this (at Salkind's page), and there's an interesting (well sort of) little bit of editing, last December someone changed the release date from 2008 to 2010. And going back further (into 2005), the same sentence said the release was for 2006. Though at that time it was called "Alexander the Great from Macedonia". That title not being changed until 2007.

I think someone is having long term distribution problems. 8)

And I do have to point out that in this film, apparently, Hephaistion is chasing after Alexander's sister. But Alexander's love interest is a girl named Leto. In Stone's movie, Jared Leto played Hephaistion, sort of Alexander's "love interest"...

Note to sergitoz, this is not me giving you a hard time... at all. If someone wasn't aware of the history of the film, it would indeed seem to be presented as something "new".
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

*phew* Now that Alexander and Hephaistion's staunch heterosexuality has been confirmed, I can relax and enjoy the movie. ;)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Are you sure?

Hmmm.....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Well Paralus, a young Macedonian girl in a white leather mini dress loosely laced up the side might be enjoyable.

http://www.ilyasalkindcompany.com/alexa ... ature.html

You can view a trailer and a few photos, including the one mentioned above.

A film about Alexander's young years could have been very interesting....I'll probably watch this on Syfy when if shows up.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:Well Paralus, a young Macedonian girl in a white leather mini dress loosely laced up the side might be enjoyable.

http://www.ilyasalkindcompany.com/alexa ... ature.html

You can view a trailer and a few photos, including the one mentioned above.
I like the one in the small buckskin 'thing' with the bow. It might not confirm Alexander's heterosexuality ... but it sure as heck confirmed mine! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

athenas owl wrote:Well Paralus, a young Macedonian girl in a white leather mini dress loosely laced up the side might be enjoyable..
Indeed. The Salaminia might have something to say about that....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

The actors have put quite a few years on since filming this movie. It is ironic since I joined the NaNoWriMo group and am writing a novel about Alexander for his first twenty years. As of this afternoon, I have written 37,000 words and the project is 50,000 within 30 days from Nov 1 to Nov 30. I hope to be finished soon. It is all a first draft, not a finished product, thank Heaven. I have learned more through this effort than any other so far. I am actually using plays within plays and stories within stories...all based on the Iliad and Euripides....what a task! Alexander in my novel is born in October, not July. I am enjoying it so far, but it is tedious at the moment as I am having to construct my framework with writing a synopsis of each chapter of the Iliad with a paragraph or a few lines for Alexander's journal and class discussions. There will be sequels, and I am going to make it very Homeric...all the gods and goddesses get to have as much fun with Alexander as they did with the Danaans and Trojans...so it will be interesting to see how this works! So this movie makes me wonder a bit! I will be discussing Alexander's sex life too but he is always under advice from the gods as to how to conduct his life! That is all I will say for now!~ Jan :wink:
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jan wrote: Alexander in my novel is born in October, not July.
Good luck with your writing, Jan, but why change his birth date?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Paralus wrote:Are you sure?

Hmmm.....
You're talking to someone who is eagerly awaiting the Spartacus prequel season. It's a distinct possibility that I will enjoy this movie. :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote: You're talking to someone who is eagerly awaiting the Spartacus prequel season. It's a distinct possibility that I will enjoy this movie. :)
I would hazard a guess that this Alexander 'mini-series' will have more in common with "Smallville" than with "Spartacus", at least in the areas of violence and nudity. Now, a Spartacus-style rendition of Alexander's career would be superb - I can picture the gore-laden Battle of Gaugamela already, and it ain't a pretty sight. It was good enough in Stone's movie, but too short and too coy for my liking! :D :D

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

marcus wrote:I would hazard a guess that this Alexander 'mini-series' will have more in common with "Smallville" than with "Spartacus", at least in the areas of violence and nudity. Now, a Spartacus-style rendition of Alexander's career would be superb - I can picture the gore-laden Battle of Gaugamela already, and it ain't a pretty sight. It was good enough in Stone's movie, but too short and too coy for my liking! :D :D

ATB
And the truth comes out... :)

Totally off-topic but I found out recently that the actor playing Spartacus can't continue due to illness. It sounds like he's going to be OK, just unable to return to filming. There may not be a second series. :(
Sandra
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Sandra »

You know- images from the film somehow reminded me of those 70-80 movies (see Jason and Argonauts, Clash of the Titans etc.)or even 50- Spartacus or Cleopatra (style...) Hope this will be something better
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Ah....I have a soft spot of "Jason and the Argonauts", which is from the early 60's. I loved it as a kid (when the special effects were pretty awesome for their time). I watched it again recently and it is dated, true, but those armed skeletons rising out of the earth were the best. Which reminds me of my favourite Wikipedia article of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Randy_in_Boise
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:
marcus wrote:I would hazard a guess that this Alexander 'mini-series' will have more in common with "Smallville" than with "Spartacus", at least in the areas of violence and nudity. Now, a Spartacus-style rendition of Alexander's career would be superb - I can picture the gore-laden Battle of Gaugamela already, and it ain't a pretty sight. It was good enough in Stone's movie, but too short and too coy for my liking! :D :D

ATB
And the truth comes out... :)
Indeed! Brutally realistic, that's how I like it (and I thought "300" was excellent in that respect - realistic in terms of the initial hoplite formation, the rest just brutal). :D
Totally off-topic but I found out recently that the actor playing Spartacus can't continue due to illness. It sounds like he's going to be OK, just unable to return to filming. There may not be a second series. :(
That's a shame. They should just get another actor and continue with the excellent work! :shock:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK