Alexander and Haumazans (Amazons)

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Cyrus Shahmiri
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander and Haumazans (Amazons)

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

There were two types of Scythian tribes in the north of Iran: Saka Haumavargau (Amyrgioi Scythians) and Saka Haumazan (Amazon Scythians), "Zan" in Persian language means woman and in Zoroastrianism "Hauma" is a sacred drink and also a powerful deity, in the middle Persian language, Haumazan was simplified to "Mazani" and their land was called "Mazandaran".

Mazandaran Map

In Mazandaran that is woman who asks for the hand of a man in marriage, it may sounds strange but here men work at home and women do hard works in the farms and other places.

http://www.parstimes.com/women/employme ... women.html

"Case studies show the situation of women and their labor force. In the villages of Gilan and Mazandaran provinces, women are considerably active and have a high share in productive activities. In the village of Ahandan in Gilan, women form 76 per cent of the labor force in rice-planting and 80 per cent in tea- planting."

"In most villages in Gilan and Mazandaran, a group of women under the supervision of a woman who is called "Mobasher" (Supervisor) go to the neighboring villages for weeding and planting seedlings."

In most of villages in Mazandaran these are women who rule and men should respect them.

For example: Village of Alasht in Mazandaran

http://www.chnpress.com/news/?section=1&id=1004

"Walking in the streets of Alasht, men should remember that facing any woman they must lower their head and say hello, because there is the Village of women."

"As a matter of fact this building is a shrine called Dokhtar-e Pak (Immaculate Girl). Locals believe that this shrine belongs to a grand lady and according to an old superstition, men should not approach the shrine or they will be bitten by its guardian serpent. Every weekend women and girls pray in the shrine in the hope of meeting their wishes."

As you read here: http://www.pothos.org/content/index.php?page=lovers In the southern coast of the Caspian Sea, Alexander was visited by Thalestris, Queen of the Amazons in the autumn of 330 BC.

"The dress of the Amazons does not entirely cover the body", says Curtius. "The left side is bare to the breast [...] One breast is kept whole for feeding children of female sex and the right is cauterized". Thalestris' eyes examined Alexander's body, and found that it in no way matched his reputation, as Curtius continues. Still, wearing her full armour, she begged Alexander to conceive a child with her. They spent "thirteen days" together as a couple (Just. 12.3; Diod. 17.77), while Alexander was "serving her passion" although "the woman's passion for sex was greater than Alexander's" (Curt. 6.5).

It is interesting to read this one: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6661426/

Woman warrior found in Iranian tomb
Gender determined by DNA testing, archaeologist says

These days, Iranian women are not even allowed to watch men compete on the soccer field, but 2,000 years ago they could have been carving the boys to pieces on the battlefield.

DNA tests on the 2,000-year-old bones of a sword-wielding Iranian warrior have revealed the broad-framed skeleton belonged to a woman, an archaeologist working in the northwestern city of Tabriz said Saturday.

“Despite earlier comments that the warrior was a man because of the metal sword, DNA tests showed the skeleton inside the tomb belonged to a female warrior,” Alireza Hojabri-Nobari told the Hambastegi newspaper.
jan
Strategos (general)

Very interesting article

Post by jan »

I read your entire post but am commenting only on the union between the amazon queen and Alexander in which the statement that she enjoyed the sexual relationship more than he had done. Can you really believe that? How would that have been realized or known? It only tells me one thing and that is to consider the author who has written this. This is one of those statements that just simply cannot be verified but is so full of innuendo and prejudice as to make one wonder...Thanks for posting this as this confirms what I have always believed...believe only half of what you hear and a third of what you read. Thanks again.
Cyrus Shahmiri

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

I don't know about the details but the whole story could be ture.
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Wasn't there a story wherein one of the Diadochoi was told of this tale and he responded with something along the lines of "And where was I while all this was going on?"

I have no sources with me today, unforunately. :?
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Phoebus wrote:Wasn't there a story wherein one of the Diadochoi was told of this tale and he responded with something along the lines of "And where was I while all this was going on?"

I have no sources with me today, unforunately. :?
You remember correctly. :) It's in Plutarch.
Plutarch: Alexander 46 [46] It was here that he was visited by the queen of the Amazons, according to the report we have from many writers, among them Cleitarchus, Polycleitus, Onesicritus, Antigenes and Ister. On the other hand Aristobulus, Chares the royal usher, Ptolemy, Anticleides, Philo the Theban and Philip of Theangela, and besides these Hecataeus of Eretria, Philip the Chalcidian and Douris of Samos all maintain that this is a fiction, and this judgement seems to be confirmed by Alexander's own testimony. In a letter to Antipater in which he describes the details of the occasion, he mentions that the king of the Scythians offered him his daughter in marriage, but he makes no reference to an Amazon. There is also a story that many years afterwards, when Lysimachus had become king of Macedonia, Onesicritus was reading aloud the fourth book of his history, which contained the tale of the Amazon, at which Lysimachus smiled and asked quietly, 'I wonder where I was then.' In any case our admiration for Alexander is not diminished if we reject this story, nor increased if we regard it as true.
Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor