Richard Stoneman Lecture

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

susan
Somatophylax

Richard Stoneman Lecture

Post by susan »

The London pothos contingent GÇô Thomas WP (webmaster), Marcus, WMPank, Susan and James went to Richard StonemanGÇÖs lecture on the Greek Alexander Romance last Thursday. It was held in the decidedly academic surroundings of the Senate House, UCL. The audience comprised members of the Hellenic Society ( and pothos ) Richard Stoneman has written several books on the Alexander Romance and the lecture was a brief tour of it. It was primarily concerned with the extent of the legend in medieval times in Arabic and Western traditions, rather than the historical origin.
The first tale came from the 9th century GÇô the time of Haroun al-Rashid - Alexander, the Green Man and the Water of life, - and the magic city of Jerbassa with its 361 wells into which the sun set every day of the year. It was illustrated by beautiful Persian illuminations. During the quest for the water of life, Alexander and his men were distracted by brightly coloured stones leaving the Green Man (El Khidr) to find it ( and use it up).
The next tale came from an 8th-century Yemenite scholar, and told how Alexander conquered India, allied with Porus and sailed to Britain. They made agreements with kings and introduced the noble sport of jousting. There were traces of Arthurian legends GÇô Alexander pulled a sword from a stone.
He showed us illustrations of Wak-wak trees with their fruit of human heads, Alexander in his diving bell and Alexander in a flying machine drawn by griffins. The next story concerned the cook Andreas who found some water of life in a sterile place ( by dipping a dried fish in it GÇô the fish wriggled away), and gave it to AlexanderGÇÖs daughter who became immortal. In a fit of pique Alexander had the cook killed and banished his daughter who became a mermaid.
He next headed into the realm of medieval geography where cartographers placed AlexanderGÇÖs travels , and the strange races and fabulous creatures that Alexander shut out with his Iron Gates. There were creatures with one foot that they used as an umbrella, headless men with their faces on their bodies- etc GÇô all beautifully illustrated.
The last story was of the Journey to Paradise GÇô Alexander was travelling down the Ganges and came across a city with perfectly smooth walls. He found a small window and demanded that the inhabitants paid homage. They offered Alexander a stone. His men put it in some scales against gold, but the stone was always heavier. A learned Jew of Baby
susan
Somatophylax

Re: Richard Stoneman Lecture ( continued)

Post by susan »

A learned Jew of Babylon called Papas explained it GÇô when the stone was covered with dust it was lighter than a feather. This was to remind Alexander that he was mortal.
ThereGÇÖs an on-line review of one of his books at
Richard Stoneman, Legends of Alexander the Great. which gives a flavour of the areas that he discussed.I think that the pothos contingent would have liked more about the origins of the legends, their likely date and authors, which Mr Stoneman only touched on lightly.The illustrations were beautiful and showed Alexander in places even heGÇÖd never dreamed of exploring.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

This was fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing the details with us. I have read some of Stoneman's work in the past as part of my research for the novel. I also bought some post-card prints of various Persian miniatures of Alexander quite some time ago while visiting in Turkey. These legends have always intrigued me. Thanks.
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi Susan, thanks for the review of the address. I only wish I'd been in England to attend.
Best wishes, Dean.
carpe diem
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Thank you, Susan. I wished I could have been there. Your report is very nice.Regards -
Nick
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

I like to thank also for this review. Until now I've herd anr read only one of such stories this with Alexander in his diving bell and Alexander in a flying machine drawn by griffins - it was translated into polish language in reinesance - with one difference that he went under water in batiscaph not in bell, but this with griffins was the same as in those ilustrations. The story was that he came into the edge of the world and waned to coquer more so foud out that he can conquer see and sky and did it. After that he came to Babilon ant died. It was real fun reading it, I even made a copy of it.Maciek
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

I greatly enjoyed it too - the illustrations were fantastic. I cannot imagine how much time he has spent in libraries.My favorite was the story of the wise men, who Alexander offered any gift they wanted. The answer?"Immortality".Thomas