Fiction books

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Peter Crater

Fiction books

Post by Peter Crater »

Hi All,Can you give me a list of Alexander fiction books (novels) other than:
a. Mary Renault (trilogy)
b. Valerio Manfredi
c. Kazantzakis
d. Doherty (house of death, godless man)That would be very helpful.
Also has anyone heard of a book called "Tragedy of Philotas", and if yes, then what is it about?Thank you all,Peter
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Fiction books

Post by marcus »

Hi Peter,If you look at the book reviews section of this site there are a couple of additional books mentioned.Also, there is a site set up by Jeanne Rees-Zimmerman (can't remember if that's the right spelling) called "After Renault" or something like that - others will be able to give you the correct details, and I'm sure they will before the day is out! This seems to list just about every fictional book about Alexander that there is.A couple of others that I have myself are "Lion of Macedon" and "Dark Prince", both by David Gemmell. The first is actually about Parmenion and, although flawed historically, is actually quite a good book. The second, which deals with Alexander, is a pile of total rubbish, and I advise you to steer well clear of it. But you did ask...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

Fiction books are dangerous. Sorry Ruth. Make sure that you have finished your degree or study before you start down that road. The better the book and the more likely the scenerio the more likely you are to confus fiction with fact. Books like Collin Mc Cullocks Ceasar series confuss the hell out of people. They are close to Plutarch style so can creep into your exam essays. That said, if you are reading for enjoyment and not study, go for it. Make sure you read Plutarch, Arrian and the rest of the ancents first.
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi Dave, any book- whether fiction or non-fiction can be potentially wrong. The major problem we have getting closer to understanding the history of the Macedonian is that the sources are often conflicting and give different reports of the same event.
I understand that you probably mean that given the nature of fiction itself and the "need" to have a great plot/character etc, it is necessary to suspend any attention to detail but this varies from author to author. Renault is the queen of the historical novel for me and God bless her. Others, like Christian Jacq's and his Pharoah Ramses series just use and abuse history to get a story that sells books and allows him to drive round in a Rolls. It basically is the same as misinforming people.
Best wishes Dean.
carpe diem
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

I think it was Oscar Wilder (for Susa!) who said that books are neither moral or immoral, but well written or badly written; I think this is very true of historical books - it depends what you care about. After all, who cares if Shakespeare wrote true history when he wrote Henry V, or Richard III. Apparantly he maligned Richard - he wasn't a hunchback at all, but the play has transcended the reality - after all that is what art is - creating something true in its own way. So, if someone made a great film about Alexander which swayed from the facts, I wouldn't complain. The problem with lots of historical books is that they are just plain badly written.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I've got as far as page 40 of Manfredi's "Alexander Child of a Dream" and frankly I am bored stiff with it. Looking at it from a writer's p.o.v. he breaks far too many 'rules': "show don't tell" and "author intrusion" for starters. "jumping heads" (p.o.v.) poor dialogue ("gosh" and "kid" really?) no character development. Stories told in an omniscient p.o.v. like this one are too removed from the characters and action and this one reads like a history text for juveniles.
Any other comments on this?
I hestitated reading it as I don't like being 'influenced' while I'm working on my own novel (no, David, I don't have a degree but i've studied Alexander since I was 16 and I have managed to hone my writing skills meanwhile. And to risk sounding hubristic, I think mine is damn good in comparison.). Anyway, it gave me much incentive and inspiration after plodding through this so-called 'best seller'. It can't hold a dim candle to Renault (my writing 'mentor' who inspires me so much) And they're going to make a film out of this? Ack! I hope they have brilliant script writers!
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

Ruth,Sorry for any offence, I meant none. I, as a small-brained classics scholar do not have the mental capacity to cope with anything other then the recognised sources. I think I may have mentioned that good books, as I am sure yours is are the most dangerous to people like me. If you read a great novel you could well be in an exam on day writing about Alexander and confused Ruth with Plutarch. Believe me it happens. Friend of mine went insane in an exam confused by facts in Plutarch and Colin McCullock.