Private messages...

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Did private messaging work OK for you?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:21 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5

Thomas
Site Admin

Private messages...

Post by Thomas »

I have disabled private messages because of some apparent or percieved anomolies in their behaviour.

Could pothosians please comment on their experiences with private messages, both good and bad.

For my 2p's worth, I found them quite reliable, but occasionally I got a server error and had to click back and resend.
Last edited by Thomas on Wed May 17, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day Thomas.

Had a few that spent several hours in the "outbox", but they eventually were kicked out to make their own way in ether-life.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I still have three unread and now unreachable but they worked I sent Susan my translation of Metz 1-33 on it don't know if she got it, though.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

It was working fine and I regularly corresponded via PM, so the problems are new. My most recent outgoing PM went no further than my Outbox - and it wouldn't leave! However, I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't been alerted to the problem by someone else, so other Pothosians may not have realized that Private Messaging had ceased to work properly for them also. Unfortunately, now that PMs are disabled, no one can check their outboxes.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Thomas
Site Admin

PM re-enabled

Post by Thomas »

I have reenabled private messaging. Please comment in this thread if you have any success/failure. We'll keep an eye on it...

N.B. I just read up on this, the theory is this (not that I quite believe this):

If a message is in your out box it means that the message has not been read by the person it has been sent to.

So the two in my out box to ruthaki and amyntoros are there because they are unread?

Can ruthaki and amyntoros confirm they have actually read my private messages - then we'll know if we do have a problem.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: PM re-enabled

Post by amyntoros »

Thomas wrote:If a message is in your out box it means that the message has not been read by the person it has been sent to.
AHA! This may well be the truth of it! You obviously received my recent PM - the one stuck in my outbox - for it is no longer there and you've just responded to it. (For the record, I never checked my outbox until recently alerted.)

It seems there may not be a problem after all. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Thomas
Site Admin

But I replied two days ago...

Post by Thomas »

...so did you not check your messages until today?

For the record, my message to you has disappeared from the outbox. So I am guessing you have read it!
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
susan
Somatophylax

Metz Epitome posted

Post by susan »

agesilaos wrote:I still have three unread and now unreachable but they worked I sent Susan my translation of Metz 1-33 on it don't know if she got it, though.
Yes, this is how the whole subject of private messages in the outbox started. I've been trying to send messages to you but they just sat in my outbox.
The Metz Epitome is published at
http://websfor.org/alexander/special/metz.asp
There have been nearly 40 page hits on it so far. It's a great addition to the site - thanks.

Interestingly, the story of Alexander's marriage to Roxane mentions his companions also marrying other girls in the dancing party.

I'm sure that it will give us plenty to think about.

Susan
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Most intriguing this whole thing!

I've a suspicion - only a suspicion mind - that these dastardly pm's (unlike my PM - the Prime Sycophant - glad-handing his way 'round Washington at present) don't actually leave untill theyr'e read??

What a cunning and devious plan!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: PM re-enabled

Post by marcus »

Thomas wrote: If a message is in your out box it means that the message has not been read by the person it has been sent to.
Ah, so the "undelivered" message I sent to Agesilaus might have reached him had he opened it and read it? Instead, I deleted it, thinking it wasn't going to get to him. Oh well, at least it wasn't important!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Thomas
Site Admin

Yes, I checked that...

Post by Thomas »

...and you are right. It seems that deleting from your outbox deletes the mail from their inbox and it is lost for ever.

I have worked out how to add something to the FAQ and you can see my attempt at writing an FAQ entry here.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté