Still playing around

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Still playing around

Post by jan »

Not that it matters a lot, but it is taking me some time to become accustomed to this new site. Teaching old dogs new tricks is much more difficult now. I feel like Archie now in his determination to keep his old chair, now in the Smithsonian. (That is pure USA t.v. reference to All in the Family Archie Bunker. ) It is rather difficult to let go of old habits, and this new one is taking me some time. I am still staying to the idea of reading mostly for a while.

But I liked some of Thomas's suggestions for polls. I realized I have reached a saturation point in buying books on Alexander when I could not yet make myself buy the Alan Filde, Joanne Fletcher book last time I had a chance. Maybe I will get it after all with a 30% discount at Borders this weekend. Just what I need: another book on ATG!

And while I am about it, Happy Birthday to Queen Elizabeth II. I watched a discussion of the royal family last night on Larry King. Only one comment about Prince Phillip. Isn't he Greek?
Thomas
Site Admin

Keep on keeping on...

Post by Thomas »

You must be getting there slowly to post!

And Philip is a prince of Greece, but this does not necessarily mean that he is Greek because of the complexities of European history.

He is a British citizen and served in the British armed forces. But, he was born in Greece though his family is Danish/German! Since the queen is pretty much of German descent anyway their wedding made a lot of sense I guess - they, like all royals are related - Philip is queen Victoria's great-great grandson and the queen is Victoria's great-great granddaugher!

Here is a site I found about Philip

Anyway, Britain is a nation of immigrants so they fit in pretty well. My family is of French origin - we arrived in 1066. :wink:
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Keep on keeping on...

Post by marcus »

webmaster wrote: Anyway, Britain is a nation of immigrants so they fit in pretty well. My family is of French origin - we arrived in 1066. :wink:
I always knew there was something fishy about you. I don't know, all these people coming into our land ...

Although I have to confess, as if to confirm the point about England being a nation of immigrants, (a) I am supposed to have typical "Anglo-Saxon features" (which is a slightly dodgy way of saying that I'm blond and blue-eyed, which is probably very unfashionable now, anyway; but (b) of course the Saxons were immigrant themselves; (c) no-one knows where my surname comes from, but the most reasonable guess makes it Dutch, and (d) I certainly have no known Dutch blood in me; (e) one side of the family is loosely connected to a family whose 'aristocratic' branch came might have come over in 1066, but of course it's all been totally watered down over the centuries, but of which (f) at least one member of the family fought at Agincourt, which stands as a very definite symbol of the English fighting their enemies.

Nothing's ever simple, is it? :?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Thomas
Site Admin

Imigrants...

Post by Thomas »

And William the Conqueror arrived from Brittany which is in France but was British at that time...

...didn't I say that European history is complicated! Who would want to teach it?

How did the infamous essay go? You never asked for help, so I am assuming it is brilliant? :wink:
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Imigrants...

Post by marcus »

webmaster wrote: How did the infamous essay go? You never asked for help, so I am assuming it is brilliant? :wink:
No, I decided not to extend my data-gathering to you, too - it would have been useful, but when the time came I couldn't face doing any more. I wouldn't say it was brilliant, but it ought to do the trick (ie. pass!) - the title was "In view of the centrality of formative assessment to teaching and learning, how can we best record it, and use it to inform future planning?" ... not exciting! :wink:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Prince Phillip and land of immigrants

Post by jan »

Thanks, both Thomas and Marcus, for such an interesting learning experience about the natives of England. I had had no idea that the Dutch would find their way into England until now. :-) :oops: (that came from pushing on an emoticon, gee , I didn't know that they can think for you too! This is almost fun.

Well, I did buy the Alan Fildes book. That naked Macedonian should never be rejected! :lol: Agh, that emoticon worked too!

So now I am thinking I only need one more book on ATG :shock: at least for awhile!
:twisted: bye for now! :arrow: til later! :?: Jan :x :D
jan
Strategos (general)

sorry

Post by jan »

I hit the emoticons so often but I was just getting the feel of the things! Having too much fun :oops:
Thomas
Site Admin

Don't worry!

Post by Thomas »

:D There is nothing wrong with having a bit of fun :wink: We all like to be a bit of a :twisted: at times, but hey, if you think we are :shock: then 8) - It is just a bit of :lol:
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté