Tactics Armies. Generals or different eras.

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Tactics Armies. Generals or different eras.

Post by kenny »

Janet HailI'd love to get into topical discusion about the war of independence. So many times have I endured snears and cocky remarks from those young Americans with little knowledge of there own History let Alone world history.Its only when I speak to the older more Knowledgable People and Americans like yourself and Andrew. The Rhetoric from the young that the English got wupped.All I would argue. If the British really wanted to keep America used seasoned Generals and the more hardened troops that were used to fighting all over europe. My money would have been America a British Colony a little longer but not Indefinately.America was to far away and to vast for such a small Islandic Empire to keep. But Top Generals and armies against Armies at that Time my money would still be with the British.And those pesky French gave you a lot of help Hence the Statue of Liberty a token to the Americans for something the French couldnt do since Hastings and that was a fluke. Alfred had Just Crushed an army of Vikings at Stamford Gridge before ho took arms against William The Lucky.Nothing to do with Alexander sorry.kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Janet HailI'd love to get into topical discusion about the war of independence. So many times have I endured snears and cocky remarks from those young Americans with little knowledge of there own History let Alone world history.Its only when I speak to the older more Knowledgable People and Americans like yourself and Andrew. The Rhetoric from the young that the English got wupped.All I would argue. If the British really wanted to keep America used seasoned Generals and the more hardened troops that were used to fighting all over europe. My money would have been America a British Colony a little longer but not Indefinately.America was to far away and to vast for such a small Islandic Empire to keep. But Top Generals and armies against Armies at that Time my money would still be with the British.And those pesky French gave you a lot of help Hence the Statue of Liberty a token to the Americans for something the French couldnt do since Hastings and that was a fluke. Alfred had Just Crushed an army of Vikings at Stamford Gridge before ho took arms against William The Lucky.Nothing to do with Alexander sorry.kenny
typhoeus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by typhoeus »

I think it would be great if they made a movie where Macedonian spears were fighting against Roman swords it would be a real epic. I wonder if Alexander fought any rRomans that might have been in the service of the Persian King. They didn't mention it in Oliver Stones movie - perhaps in the Burton one there is mention.
typhoeus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by typhoeus »

I think it would be great if they made a movie where Macedonian spears were fighting against Roman swords it would be a real epic. I wonder if Alexander fought any rRomans that might have been in the service of the Persian King. They didn't mention it in Oliver Stones movie - perhaps in the Burton one there is mention.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Rome was in its early stages I would say. None in Persian services.There were Macedonian-Roman battles and we know who came on top.As I always quote Divide and conbquer. And I also argue were the Greeks and macedonians Totally united under Alexander I doubt Rome would get anywhere. No Roman Commander was his equal. If Hannibal could take them Im sure Alexander would.Kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Rome was in its early stages I would say. None in Persian services.There were Macedonian-Roman battles and we know who came on top.As I always quote Divide and conbquer. And I also argue were the Greeks and macedonians Totally united under Alexander I doubt Rome would get anywhere. No Roman Commander was his equal. If Hannibal could take them Im sure Alexander would.Kenny