Had the Alexandrian Empire not died.

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

Had the Alexandrian Empire not died.

Post by Paralus »

Don't know if any other Pothosians can help here.Many moons ago I read a novel. I believe it may have been science-fiction but am not certain. The premise was that Alexander had not died and that the Macedonian - or better put, Alexandrian - Empire had not fragmented. The dynasty was secured and the events of the novel took place in the present (or near future - 21st century). The "Washington" of this world was, of course, Alexandria and the Empire (or its current construct) continued as the ruling hegemon of the world.I cannot for the life of me find this now and cannot remember either its name or author (I did read it some thirty years back!).Any help in revisiting this would be appreciated.Michael.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
azara
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Had the Alexandrian Empire not died.

Post by azara »

From your description I think the novel is "A choice of destinies" by Melissa Scott. I found it cited in the "Beyond Renault" website kept by Jeanne Reames-Zimmermann, where all Alexander fiction is discussed.I bought it on-line and read it; I found it clever and well researched, although a bit longish in some parts. All the best Azara
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Themis HailWith due respect to Americans and not to upset anyone I agree with your post.Even the English Empire was based on Royals and generals perched far from danger.Even Wellington was out of arms way relaying orders. The English Empie was not unlike America an Imperialistic money game. Although I have huge admiration for our soldiers and some of our great victories its fair to say the British Empire was based upon modern Military might of that time fighting against peoples that couldnt really fight back.Fair enough we have mixed it with the best. The French Germans etc but never had it so easy. Where a truce deal or pact could be made with an equal military might the English would go for that.As with most Empires the wealth was made squashing and taking from lesser military forces. Much has been made about the Zulu wars. But following the massacre at Esanwanda the British steam rolled them.Alexander went up against massive odds massive wealth and was no way easy and as you say at the head. Todays kings Presidents or Prime Ministers have no comprehension of Empire as it was in Alexanders day. Could we ever Imagine George Bush Blair. The British Royals at the head of Battles.These guys are thousands of Miles Behind expecting our sons and daughters to die to preserve the afaluent ways of life and the wealth they have.If Presidents Kings etc hat to fight then there would be no wars.Kenny
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Thanks Azara.Checked the book out - not the one! It definitely wasn't contemporaneous with Alexander. From memory it was set (at the earliest) in the twenty first century (which in the seventies was like my view then of my current age - a long way off!).That novel sounds an interesting "what if" though. I've often wondered what Philip's (II) phalanx and cavalry would've done to Flaminius at Cynoscephale or - more in tune with your novel GÇô what Alexander would have done in Pyrrhus' place at Heraceia and Asculum.Doubt I'll track it down. One of those things that'll simply annoy me.Have you read Paul Carltedge's "Alexader The Great"? I found it a most apt take.Kennyx, I've no idea of the provenance of your post but I may try whatever it is you are taking.Paralus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I've definitely read something recently about the book you are referring to. I haven't any recollection as to the title; but if it comes to mind I shall let you know!ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
azara

Post by azara »

Hi, Paralus! IGÇÖm sorry the book is not the one, but IGÇÖm also glad there is another AlexanderGÇÖs alternative history book to look for. As for the destiny of the Empire if Alexander had not died and had marched westwards, I think the problem were its sheer dimensions: to avoid rebellions universal consensus had to be attained and mantained, on an almost superhuman scale, and nationalism repressed. This would have been particularly difficult dealing with Carthaginians and Romans. ItGÇÖs true that in AlexanderGÇÖs time the Romans were still a small state fighting against the Samnites, but ancient ItalyGÇÖs climate and geography made it very easy for a commander to win battles and to lose wars. Anyway, I think that AlexanderGÇÖs empire GÇ£didGÇ¥ survive; the Romans took on the Hellenistic legacy and the imperial ideal and, in my opinion, they experienced in their late history the same problems that Alexander and his successors would have had to face in a Greek-Macedon empire. A very sad regret remains, at least on my part: the end and the loss of the marvellous scientific and technological revolution of the Hellenism. In these days a great exhibition is opening in Naples : GÇ£Eureka! The genius of the ancientsGÇ¥ about this forgotten revolution.
The Romans did not invest in research, universities or libraries; they concentrated on immediate utilityGǪ well, it is a story that sounds familiar, in Italy at least, now I come to think of it.
Thank you for the advice about Paul CartledgeGÇÖs book: it is in the list of my future readings. With my best regards Azara
P.S:If you recall the title of that novel, please let me know!PPS:This site is all about alternate history books; using the search engine several titles about Alexander come up. http://www.uchronia.net/
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Great website, Azara! Did anyone notice the following story that was listed?Webb, Janeen. "The Lion Hunt". A plan to kill Philip II of Macedon and avert the Macedonian attack on Persia went awry and instead resulted in the death of his son Alexander. Published In Conqueror Fantastic (ed. Pamela Sargent), DAW 2004 (0756401917).Pity it's only a short story - it would make an intriguing premise for a book. Don't know the quality of the writer though. Then there's another alternate-history story on Alexander included in the compendium:West, Michelle: "To the Gods Their Due" Alexander, narrating his own story of growing alienation from his other half, his best friend Hephaestion, who chooses not to follow Alexander too deeply on his journey from first-among-equals ruler of Macedon to a god-king of Egypt. I think I have to buy this - there are used copies for only a dollar or two on Amazon. :-)Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
azara

Post by azara »

Those two stories sound promising indeed,especially the second one: I too am considering buying it. I'm also intrigued by that graphic novel "The golden vine" made by a team of Japanese: what will it look like? With best regards Azara
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hi Azara,I snagged an inexpensive signed (author) copy of the Golden Vine shortly after it was first published. It *is* a beautiful book, half very realistic drawings and half Manga influenced (the young Alexander has very big eyes and narrow chin and an occasional frame uses those oft seen oversized mouths to indicate surprise or shock).Not so sure about the story though. It starts off very well, I think, but everyone should know that this is a true alternate history - although some parts are recognizable from the sources, Jai Sen goes his own way with much of the book. For instance, Roxane goes to Macedonia and dies there; Persepolis welcomes Alexander with a tribute carried by "a youth of incredible beauty - a eunuch" and Alexander never burns the palace! I'm afraid though that it becomes a little too bizarre towards the end for my taste, both with the plot and the character of Alexander. I won't give it away if you're going to buy it. And buying it for the illustrations alone is well worth it. :-)Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor