Cartledge's Alexander

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Cartledge's Alexander

Post by maciek »

Hi!
I found biography of Alexander of this author. I didn't actually bought it but reviewed in bookstore. I found there in bibliography pothos addres what is very nice. I didn't saw this book in books review so I'd like ask if maybe some of You know it? Did author apeared in pothos forum? Maciek
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Cartledge's Alexander

Post by marcus »

Hi Maciek,I really enjoyed the Cartledge book. I wrote a review of it for Amazon, but I can't remember whether I ever sent Nick a version to put on Pothos. If I didn't, I can easily do so.I don't think Cartledge has ever joined in discussion on the forum, unless he's used a different name. But it's nice to see that he cites us in the bibliography, isn't it? Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, it's written down as .co.uk, rather than .org - so I'm not sure whether people will find it that easily.Cartledge wrote a piece on Alexander for the BBC Website, too, and included Pothos with the .co.uk address. I have asked the BBC to change the address, but I'm not sure whether they've done so, yet.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kate
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kate »

Hi,Glad to hear you liked the Cartledge book, Marcus, 'cos I saw it in the second-hand book shop I mentioned previously and hummed and hawed about buying it. I will now put it on my list - it's lethal going in there, I always end up spending a fortune!Cheers,Kate
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I enjoy Paul Cartledge's writing style as well as his rich, luxurious voice which is a part of the National Geographic dvd special. He loves to quote Ian Worthington, I noted. Interesting, no?
xxx

Post by xxx »

I am going to be the dissenter here. I didn't find the book particularly good, nor did it add anything to Alexander scholarship.
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Well this book was translated into polish but what disapointed me was the ilustrations with maps taken from warry and I really couldn't even find any footnote or even Warry's name in bibliography. Well anyway - maybe Warry took it from some other place.
Thanks for opinions to be honest it helped me to decide to buy it and try then;-))Maciek
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Tut tut. You're very hard to please, aren't you, Tre? :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK