Andriscus and Archelaus

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Andriscus and Archelaus

Post by Xenophon »

Or put another way, we have plenty of "meaty" information about this battle ( and Pydna) - more than 'average' for an ancient battle, but there are still enough mysteries and unknowns to make for an interesting arg....er, debate ! :wink:

Despite Agesilaos' witty attempt at insult, I think his shaft fails to find the mark.

François Rabelais was a major French Renaissance writer, doctor, Renaissance humanist, monk and Greek scholar. He has historically been regarded as a writer of fantasy, satire, the grotesque, bawdy jokes and blue songs. I certainly haven't posted anything that fits that Rabelaisian definition here !! (yet ) :lol: :lol:
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Xenophon, I am not the sort to stoop to insults! Viscious ribbing, but never insults; I was not thinking of Rabelais the man, but of the actions of his characters, which are also encompassed by the adjective 'Rabelaisian'. I was not implying that your posts were either fantastic nor grotesque, or even those of a monk or Greek scholar! (V Ribbing alert :wink: ) only that you do figuratively what Gargantua did physically to Paris :D 'Twas just at nod at our frequent disagreements, which are gentlemanly rather than spurred by any animosity I hope. So even had my shaft found its mark there was no barb intended.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Or perhaps you confused Xenophon with a tomb?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Now that would be an insult!! :shock: :lol:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.