Antigonus Monopthalmus' Battle at Lycaonia...

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Antigonus Monopthalmus' Battle at Lycaonia...

Post by Nicator »

Hello Pothosians,

Try as I may, and being out of country, I am woefully lacking source material, I cannot find any information on Antigonus' victory at Lycaonia after the Battle of Issus when Antigonus served as the governor of Phrygia for Alexander. Also needed, are the other Phrygian engagements (often included as the three battles against the Persians in rear)...by Calas at Paphlagonia and Balacrus at Miletus.

If memory serves, Antigonus successfully crushed the armies levied against him. In at least one engagement repelling scythed chariots. Just can't find anything on it.

If someone can send a .pdf or a link or a 'copy and paste' of the text regarding the incidents, I'd be grateful. ;)
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Antigonus Monopthalmus' Battle at Lycaonia...

Post by agesilaos »

The only mention of Antigonos' campaign is Curtius IV 1 xxxiv ff
34 Darei praetores, qui proelio apud Isson superfuerant, cum omni manu, quae fugientes secuta erat, adsumpta etiam Cappadocum et Paphlagonum iuventute Lydiam reciperare temptabant. 35 Antigonus, praetor Alexandri, Lydiae praeerat: qui quamquam plerosque militum ex praesidiis ad regem dimiserat, tamen barbaris spretis in aciem suos eduxit. Eadem illic quoque fortuna partium fuit: tribus proeliis alia atque alia regione commissis Persae funduntur. 36 Eodem tempore classis Macedonum ex Graecia accita Aristomenen, qui ad Hellesponti oram reciperandam a Dareo erat missus, captis eius aut eversis navibus superat. 37 A Milesiis deinde Pharnabazus, praefectus Persicae classis, pecunia exacta et praesidio in urbem Chium introducto centum navibus Andrum et inde Siphnum petiit. Has quoque insulas praesidiis occupat, pecunia multat.
Which merely states that Antigonos came to Lydia, despite having sent many troops to Alexander and sucessfully fought the Persians, three times confounding their plans. There are no further details to be had as far as I know. It is highly unlikely scythed chariots were present as the Persians involved were fugitives from Issos and none were deployed there. Maybe you are mis-remembering Lucian of Samosata's account of Antiochos I's victory over the Galatians where he deployed the scythed chariots and elephants to good effect, can't remember which essay it is off-hand but will look it up.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Antigonus Monopthalmus' Battle at Lycaonia...

Post by Nicator »

It's possible...but I wouldn't give myself that much credit. I think I read something on Pothos many years ago that may have been inaccurate info. The only other battle which I can recall where the scythed chariots were used was under Pharnabazus in 396 b.c.e. He successfully deployed them by doing what Darius failed to do, i.e...followed their spade through with cavalry.

Either way...thanks a bunch. I'll have to make sure I remove any and all references to Antigonus defeating the scythed chariots in Phrygia in the Guagamela set piece. Got a little ahead of myself there... :x
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander