The 311 peace treaty between the Diodochi

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

The 311 peace treaty between the Diodochi

Post by ruthaki »

When the Diodochi called a truce in December 311, would they all (other than Seleucos who had returned to Babylon) have been present to 'sign' it? And if so, would they have met somewhere like in Syria to do this? I know that Ptolemy had returned to Alexandria from Syria the previous summer but would he have returned to sign the peace treaty or did they do this through emissaries? Did they actually 'sign' something, shake hands on it, of what was the procedure?
Much thanks in advance for your advice and help.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: The 311 peace treaty between the Diodochi

Post by agesilaos »

Since the Diadochoi were to a man schemers and not to be trusted I think it unlikely that they would actually meet; no doubt Lysimachos and Kassandros did as they were not just allies but seem to have been friends Ptolemy could have met them to establish the allies' position and to agree to the abandonment of his protege, Seleukos, but most likely acted through his ambassadors. The position established emissaries would be sent to Antigonos possibly with negotiating powers and the pact sworn at an altar and then published on stone at various locations with copies going to a temple to lend it religious sanction. Being the Diadochoi, however, meant that the Gods were figments and no treaty was worth the marble it was carved on!

They only met with their enemies in extremis, Demetrius after Ipsos met Seleukos, Polyperchon may have met Kassandros after killing Herakles, but that seems to be it of the top of my head.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: The 311 peace treaty between the Diodochi

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks for this info. In writing historical fiction one is allowed to speculate, so this will allow me to speculate that Ptolemy was not actually present at the peace pact but, as I sort of figured, likely had sent an ambassador. (This was because he'd already gone home earlier and I couldn't figure out how he'd go all the way back to Syria or wherever to negotiate. I agree that Kassandros and Lysimakus were likely in closer contact. And at that time Seleukos had returned to Babylon.
abm
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The 311 peace treaty between the Diadochi

Post by abm »

They worked with ambassadors indeed, and then oaths were sworn by all of the participating Diadochoi. The procedure is described in Antigonos' letter to the Skepsians reporting the peace. You can read a translation of it in this book, on p.8-9:
http://books.google.be/books?id=sAbU7Tx ... &q&f=false