A story...

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

A story...

Post by Paralus »

The slightly less abridged version...

The dead lay everywhere. The ground onto which they had been driven was littered with their corpses. Shattered sarissae, viscera and body parts shared the killing ground with the whole weapons and armour that had been abandoned in the rout. The foetid odours of blood and bowel fouled the increasingly frigid air as the cries of the dying and the wounded faded with the Iranian mid-winter sun set. Litter bearers carried the still living from the blood soaked dust into which they had fallen and carts, the produce of carnage piled high inside, plied their way to funerary bonfires yet to be lit. Morale in the camp matched the freezing night air as confusion, tinged with anger at the day's proceedings, spread with the smoke from the campfires.

As the lamps were lit the self-proclaimed “strategos of Asia”, having surveyed the killing field, called a meeting of his hetairoi. The military prospects for the morrow were not propitious: his phalanx and, more importantly, his Macedonians were shattered. A resumption of hostilities in the morning would be difficult, if not impossible. The strategos still had a card in play though and the situation was far from decided.

The day ... had started in more promising fashion. The "strategos of Asia" had marched south in battle order across the eight kilometres of cold and dry salt plain that, still now, separated him from the recent ally who'd renounced his feality for what was clearly personal gain... His 22,000 heavy infantry, which – depending on its depth – stretched in excess of two kilometres (1.25 miles), included some 7,000 or so Macedonian phalangites, almost all recent drafts from the homeland. An equal number of epigoni, “successor infantry” armed and trained in the Macedonian fashion of phalanx fighting, adjoined them and mercenaries, Lycians and Pamphylians filled out his line. The remainder of the cavalry was posted on the left wing under the command of Peithon. The entire array would be screened by some 65 elephants and many thousands of light infantry and skirmishers...
Last edited by Paralus on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Re: A story...

Post by Fiona »

More, please!
Fiona
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rocktupac »

...This defeat at Issus would go down in history. Persia, despite her disadvantages in infantry, would teach this young man from Macedonia a lesson. Although he was no first-class warrior, the King of Kings had history on his side. Cyrus had lent the third Darius, though not directly, his wisdom and patience. A subtle weakness had been exploited. Rashness had been exposed during the melee. But it was the arrogance of a young king, and not the superiority of a near-eastern monarch, which cost so many lives. Ambition and excitement are powerful, and distract the present...
-Scott B.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Right nationality, wrong "King of Asia".
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Ooh, ooh! (Raises hand and jumps up and down in seat.) I know. I know. Pick me, pick meeee!

... ... ...

I'm not allowed to say, right? :lol:
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

(Notices raised hand and points) Yes Amyntoros?
Paralus

Academia.edu
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Is he really tall and fat? :?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Ooh, ooh! (Raises hand and jumps up and down in seat.) I know. I know. Pick me, pick meeee!

... ... ...

I'm not allowed to say, right? :lol:
Well, I seem to have about 5 possibilities going round in my head, but I'm darned if I know which one Paralus means.

Any more clues, Paralus (or Amyntoros, as you seem to know, you old clever-clogs)?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

RIght then: that should give it away.
Paralus

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:RIght then: that should give it away.
Eh?
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:
Eh?
Err, re-read the original post. It has been ... updated.
Paralus

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:
marcus wrote:
Eh?
Err, re-read the original post. It has been ... updated.
Aahh! That makes more sense. I hadn't realised that you'd updated your original.

Still not entirely sure, to be honest, but I think I know - not so good on my Diadochoi.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Go on... have a stab.
Paralus

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Since my favourite diadoch encompassed this ones fall and death I could never see eye to eye with him, not only that it would only take this fellow half as long to get blind drunk as my man.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

athenas owl wrote:Is he really tall and fat? :?
And a bit hard of seeing? :wink: