Dr Who meets Alexander

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Dr Who meets Alexander

Post by agesilaos »

There was a 1964 Dr Who story called 'Farewell Great Macedon' which never aired but for which the script has survived. I read some blurb about it and its author and how deeply he had researched it, though the old BS detector was pinging like mad; BBC Radio 4Extra broadcast the whole yesterday it will be available on i-player for a week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/

Be warned it is like Jeferey Archer's 'Shall We tell the President', the game is to spot the howlers, anyone not scoring fifty needs to read more :shock:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Dr Who meets Alexander

Post by marcus »

Sounds very intriguing! Thanks for the heads-up.

If I get a chance I shall have a listen ...
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Synopsis of episode 1:

The Tardis stalls in Babylon

The Doctor attempts to teach Iollas (who appears to be a priest, not a cupbearer) how to cook his meat rather than sacrifice it.

Antipater, Seleucus, Glaukos and Iollas plot to kill Alexander and the 3 men he has designated as his heirs - in order, Hephaestion, Kalanus and Cleitus. Alexander has commissioned Antipater to create 4 medallions, one for himself and each of his designated heirs. Antipater has created a fifth medallion, and they have decided to kill the 4 in reverse order - Alexander's third choice heir Cleitus first, then Kalanus, Hephaestion and last Alexander himself.

It is perhaps cleverer than it appears at first glance. The writer obviously knows that Antipater and Iollas were suspected of being involved in Alexander's death, and that Glaukos was involved in Hephaestion's death, and that Seleucus eventually inherited Babylon. Cleitus, Kalanus, then Hephaestion predeceased Alexander, and the medallion is probably going to be used to poison them. An early Alternate Universe piece of fiction?
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Sadly, no; the medallions are window dressing and this early episode sticks firmly to the line that History cannot be changed, Barbara and Susan get little speeches on the subject at the end.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

I give up!
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

What are you giving up? It's Movember now Stoptober was last month :?: