Tyrants And Perspective

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

bessusww
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Tyrants And Perspective

Post by bessusww »

Hi My Names Richard

New to the Forum...I initially open this site having just watched John Wayne as Ghenghis Khan and have to say that the Duke as Ghenghis Khan was equally mayme more miscast than Farrel as Alexander.

However watching it gave me the way we see Tirents and historys brutal Conquerors...In the Wayne movie Ghengis Khan seemed quite a hero...Even Omar Sharifs portrayel was rather the hero.None portray the brutaliity especially the bloodbath that was Peking.But I guess hero and Tyrant can be seen different from who you are. As im sure Alexander in the West is rather heroic and glorious...Opposite to probably how some Bacrtrians see or saw him.

Anyway Im confused by now only I totally love John Wayne...But even movie legends really should have left well alone in some cases.

Rich
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Tyrants And Perspective

Post by Semiramis »

Hi Richard,

Welcome to Pothos. :) Have you checked out the movie Mongol? It's the first part of a trilogy that covers Genghis Khan's life.

http://www.mongolmovie.com/
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:Hi Richard,

Welcome to Pothos. :) Have you checked out the movie Mongol? It's the first part of a trilogy that covers Genghis Khan's life.

http://www.mongolmovie.com/
I would endorse that - "Mongol" is a great movie, if a little slow at times. Much better than John Wayne as the conqueror!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

I have recently had the privilege/misfortune of watching a little bit of the pilot for the 1960s TV show based on Alexander. Guess who was playing the lead role? WIlliam Shatner. Or Shat the Great as he was referred to in that context. Everything looks tolerable after that assault on the senses. Thankfully it never got off the ground. :)
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

John Wayne as Ghengis? William Shatner as Alexander? I am very thankful to have been born post ~"Shat the Great". Although I believe Colin has em all beat hands down when it comes to miscasted actors. For a good laugh go find the test screening of Colin trying to portray Alexander for the first time... Its amazingly bad. I believe Jerod Leto (Hephistian) would of done a much better job.
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

spitamenes wrote: I believe Jerod Leto (Hephistian) would of done a better job.
Did I really start yappin about Jarod Leto and Colin Farrel on a site dedicated to Alexander the Great?..., my bad :oops:
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

:D I thought Colin was beautiful overcoming all adversities, none as great as that awful blond wig. :) And Jared was *sigh*. Those two bring out the fangirl in me. :D
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Semiramis wrote:I have recently had the privilege/misfortune of watching a little bit of the pilot for the 1960s TV show based on Alexander. Guess who was playing the lead role? WIlliam Shatner. Or Shat the Great as he was referred to in that context. Everything looks tolerable after that assault on the senses. Thankfully it never got off the ground. :)
Ha! I can't imagine that Shat's version could possibly be that bad. And I guess we are fortunate it did not get off the ground or we may never have had Star Trek and Captain Kirk.

If only Stone didn't bungle the script of ATG so completely. Colin may not be the man to play Alexander but Stone was certainly not the man to recreate him. I'd turn down a $100 bill for a chance to punch him square in the jaw for that debacle put to film.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander