Ancient Greece in Film and Popular Culture

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Ancient Greece in Film and Popular Culture

Post by amyntoros »

I've mentioned Gideon Nisbet's Ancient Greece in Film and Popular Culture before in another thread, but here is a new BMCR review of the second edition.

Yes, I am shamelessly promoting this book because it's a very interesting and enjoyable read. As far as Stone's Alexander is concerned, Nisbet doesn't offer his own criticism of the movie but rather discusses both the public reception of the film and how it compares with Rossen's Alexander. And he has a few positive things to say about William Shatner's Alexander pilot which I appreciate because - strangely and unexpectedly - there IS much to enjoy about the show. I was also particularly struck by the part about the new-found power of internet blogs and forums and how they can affect movies in production and pre-production, even occasionally causing them not to be made, as was the case with Vin Diesel's Hannibal.

And how can you resist a book by a classisist who will enthusiastically discuss the relative merits of Buffy versus Angel and Dr. Who versus Torchwood over lunch? :lol:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Ancient Greece in Film and Popular Culture

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:And how can you resist a book by a classisist who will enthusiastically discuss the relative merits of Buffy versus Angel and Dr. Who versus Torchwood over lunch? :lol:
Plainly, you cannot!

I do not think iI need to revisit Shatner as Alexander, De Forest Kelley as Parmenion....

For the Gods' sake Alex! I'm a general not a miracle worker!

Substantial phalangite grunts in red shirts?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote:
I do not think iI need to revisit Shatner as Alexander, De Forest Kelley as Parmenion....
Have you ever seen it though? There were some very good lines in places and Shatner wasn't half bad as Alexander (she said whilst heavily fortifying her defenses).

ATB
Amyntoros

Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Can't you get Batman in, Paralus? Don't forget Adam West played 'Cleander'... (presumably Hephaistion was considered too difficult a name) :D
Fiona
Paralus wrote:
Plainly, you cannot!

For the Gods' sake Alex! I'm a general not a miracle worker!

Substantial phalangite grunts in red shirts?
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Sure you're not thinking of the Richard Burton one, amyntoros? There were some cracking lines in that, especially the Athens scene after Chaeronea. But I'm struggling to think of any good lines in the William Shatner one.
Your book sounds good. I've been reading one that sounds quite similar, mine is called 'Hollywood's Ancient Worlds' by Jeffrey Richards. It takes the same approach as you mention to the Oliver Stone film.
Fiona
amyntoros wrote:

Have you ever seen it though? There were some very good lines in places and Shatner wasn't half bad as Alexander (she said whilst heavily fortifying her defenses).

ATB
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

The mere thought of Shatner as Alexander is almost enough to put me off my lunch... :|

EDIT: OK, take that back. Clicked on the actual link you provided Amyntoros. It looks pretty all right. :)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Fiona wrote:Sure you're not thinking of the Richard Burton one, amyntoros? There were some cracking lines in that, especially the Athens scene after Chaeronea. But I'm struggling to think of any good lines in the William Shatner one.
No, I wasn't thinking of the Richard Burton one. :) I have a confession to make here - I've never watched it beyond the point where Roxane's family is introduced because I was bored to tears, good lines notwithstanding! Can't quite figure out how anyone can actually make Alexander boring, but that's how I felt. The only thing that really sticks with me about the parts I watched is the "dead swan" on top of Richard Burton's head! As for good lines in the Shatner pilot, well, there's the following:
Alexander: I admit I tempted the gods but they're good to their own.

Antigonus: What are you now? A god or a man?

Alexander: Whatever suits my purpose. If one Greek lives because a Persian trembles at the sight of a god it suits my purpose.

Antigonus: And your own men? What they are to believe?

Alexander: (Muffled) I sweat like a Macedonian and bleed like a Greek. They'll follow my command.
That's rather good and historically relevant dialogue IMO, and not what you'd expect to find in this camp little production. The scriptwriter must have known the Alexander histories well or he would never had introduced such a subject (and his own opinion of it).
Semiramis wrote:The mere thought of Shatner as Alexander is almost enough to put me off my lunch... :|

EDIT: OK, take that back. Clicked on the actual link you provided Amyntoros. It looks pretty all right. :)
For a moment I wondered why an Amazon link might make you reconsider, then I saw Jeanne Reames' review at the bottom of the page.
Whether you rate this high or low depends on what you want out of it ... which is why the 3 stars. History? Bah. Not even close. But as a 1960s sword-and-sandals flick? It's a scream. I regularly show it in the class I teach on Alexander when we reach the final lecture, which is about the appropriation of Alexander in latter centuries as symbol and fiction. It's very interesting not for what it tells us about Alexander, but what it tells about American society in the early 1960s. In the West, Alexander is, arguably, the most famous (non-religious) historical figure prior to the 20th Century. He's been used, reused and used again for all sorts of things.

So if you want camp and commentary on US society, that's what you'll find here. History, not so much. :-)

But I will say that Shatner probably played one of the best on-screen Alexanders for both charisma and projection of self-certainty. I really like him better than Richard Burton's earlier portrayal and MUCH better than Colin Farrell's later portrayal. And later, of course, Captain Kirk was really just 'Alexander in Space.'
Have to say that I DO love camp (even admit to being fond of Buckaroo Banzai!) so that's one of the reasons I agree with her on this. Gideon Nisbet also sees depth in Shatner's performance. Here are his comments about the end of the pilot:
Ancient Greece in Film and Popular Culture Page 105

The two men tussle energetically but almost clumsily; we have seen both of them fight much better. Alexander stabs Karonos/Hephaistion, sliding his blade in deep; there is time for another long, soul-searching exchange of glances before the traitor falls, rolling down the hillside, the skirt of his tunic bunched up around his waist. After the battle, the camera pans slowly across a silent battlefield strewn with corpses. Left momentarily alone, a mounted Alexander looks back over his shoulder in melancholy regret at Karonos' death. Then, with studied cynicism, and making sure we get his best side, he re-arranges his features into the mask of the Man of Destiny. Even without an audience (or with only us as an audience), the arch-narcissist cannot help putting on an act. A skilled manipulator, he knows exactly how to play upon the fears and doubts of his generals, including their doubts as to his sanity - doubts which we, the audience at home, have by now come to share and upon which Alexander himself is careful to offer no comment. Is there a real personality behind the obsessively maintained façade, beneath the trademark, carefully touseled mop of blond curls – or is he nothing but surface? If this Alexander is a psychopath – and Shatner's disquieting performance conveys that possibility very ably - then he is a fascinatingly self-aware one. As the credits roll, the cautious survivors, cowed by their leader's exemplary violence, follow him on horseback into the East; their swords held pointlessly, phallically erect in slavish imitation of their unbalanced generalissimo.
And after all the above is said, I'm compelled to add that the DVD is just so much fun to watch. Sometimes I think it's good to take a break from all the seriousness. :D

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

amyntoros wrote:
No, I wasn't thinking of the Richard Burton one. :) I have a confession to make here - I've never watched it beyond the point where Roxane's family is introduced because I was bored to tears, good lines notwithstanding! Can't quite figure out how anyone can actually make Alexander boring, but that's how I felt. The only thing that really sticks with me about the parts I watched is the "dead swan" on top of Richard Burton's head!
Totally agree about the headgear! That was so bad it was funny. :)
amyntoros wrote: As for good lines in the Shatner pilot, well, there's the following:
Alexander: I admit I tempted the gods but they're good to their own.

Antigonus: What are you now? A god or a man?

Alexander: Whatever suits my purpose. If one Greek lives because a Persian trembles at the sight of a god it suits my purpose.

Antigonus: And your own men? What they are to believe?

Alexander: (Muffled) I sweat like a Macedonian and bleed like a Greek. They'll follow my command.
That's rather good and historically relevant dialogue IMO, and not what you'd expect to find in this camp little production. The scriptwriter must have known the Alexander histories well or he would never had introduced such a subject (and his own opinion of it).
That is good. It works better for me reading it than hearing it in William Shatner's voice. I don't know why, but to me he always sounds smug. Now I can imagine Alexander being full of himself and completely cocky, but not smug.
The cowboy film scenery put me off quite a lot, too. But I enjoyed reading your Gordon Nisbet's thoughts, thank you for those, and you and he between you have made me want to give it another try.
amyntoros wrote: And after all the above is said, I'm compelled to add that the DVD is just so much fun to watch. Sometimes I think it's good to take a break from all the seriousness. :D
Definitely - having fun is allowed, and is good! If we can't have fun in August, when can we? :D
Fiona
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Amyntoros, I meant that the DVD cover looks camp enough for me to consider watching it. :) Initially, for some reason, I imagined the Shatner from the legal drama show he is in these days in a tiny Macedonian skirt. Sort of at least twice the age Alexander was when he died. As my favourite actor once said, film is a visual medium. Colin and Jared still win hands down. ;)

Has anyone seen the old Ray Haryhousen movies with the stop-motion animation? 'Jason and the Argonauts' or 'Clash of the Titans'? Heaps of fun.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Semiramis wrote:Has anyone seen the old Ray Haryhousen movies with the stop-motion animation? 'Jason and the Argonauts' or 'Clash of the Titans'? Heaps of fun.
More times than I've had baked dinners....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Paralus wrote:
Semiramis wrote:Has anyone seen the old Ray Haryhousen movies with the stop-motion animation? 'Jason and the Argonauts' or 'Clash of the Titans'? Heaps of fun.
More times than I've had baked dinners....
The husband and I were talking about those two films the other month or so....especially "Jason and the Argonauts"...some older film had been on and the kid was making fun of the special effects (he who is eternally plugged into fancy computer games) and the husband and I both mentioned that movie at the same time..the fight with the skeletons, to be exact. I still love that movie. :D

Of course we are old enough to remember space movies where you could almost see the strings holding the space ship up in front of the black screen with the holes in it, backlit for stars. :lol:

The young Shatner would have made a great Alexander...physically and emotively (Alexander the drama queen)...but my big beef with that production, as well as the Rossen film (well one of many), was, since they apparently didn't know how to deal with Hephaistion, they simply wrote him out (pretty much completely in the 1956 film). I confess I haven't seen the Shatner one, but have read about it for years. I will have to get ahold of it.

Amyntoros, be not ashamed of liking "Buckaroo Bonzai"! We own it and watch it regularly, oh the 80's! And Jeff Goldblum in furry chaps.

Dr. Who vs. Torchwood? Both!

But this reminds me of a CSI (Las Vegas) that repeated last night.

A parody of Star Trek, with a gentle jab/nod at the reworking of Battlestar Galactica (which I loved), with a couple of the new BSG stars showing up. The scenes that riff on Star Trek, called Astro Quest in the show, are instantly recognisable to any of us that watched the original.

http://www.theofantastique.com/2009/04/ ... nd-homage/
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

athenas owl wrote:The husband and I were talking about those two films the other month or so....especially "Jason and the Argonauts"...some older film had been on and the kid was making fun of the special effects (he who is eternally plugged into fancy computer games) and the husband and I both mentioned that movie at the same time..the fight with the skeletons, to be exact. I still love that movie. :D
Skeletons?! Skeletons!! Surely you mean the Hydra's teeth! Not, of course, to forget the dreaded harpies. The man was a genius.

Suddenly I've an overwhelming desire to download and watch When Worlds Collide!. I can hear it now...

"Only twenty days to Bellus! Twenty days to Bellus!. You - over there by the gantry. You! Work faster! Only twenty days tho Bellus!"

Directed by George Pal - another stop motion disciple - of War of the Worlds fame, it's a hoot. The star (Bellus) and its planet (Zyra) are on a collision course with Earth. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kanh, which I have (funny - now just why might that be?) has a couple of shipping containers in it (in the "Genesis cave") with the same names on them.

For God's Jim, I'm a doctor not some trivia buff!
Paralus

Academia.edu
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

When Worlds Collide was great! Though Forbidden Planet remains my favourite, with The Day the Earth Stood Still running a close second, for me. Oh, and Quartermass, too. So many of the old sci-fi films have sort of lost their "magic" though after MST3k (Mystery Science Theater 3000) got ahold of them. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Sc ... eater_3000

Don't know if you ever got to experience it, down there in the Anitpodes, but it was a Saturday ritual for us. They did put out a film for theatrical release, using This Island Earth, though it wasn't their best "work".

Oh, to bring it all around..."Flint", the immortal from a Star Trek show, turned out to have been AtG.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Requiem ... _(episode)

I see I have revealed myself to be the arch nerd...but I have never been to a Trekkie convention, I swear!
Chiliarch

Post by Chiliarch »

Oh, come on......................Shatner's not half bad as Alexander. He certainly knows how to ride a horse (no saddle and all), which is more than can be said for Burton, whose exploits as a member of the Companion Cavalry consists of walking his horse across the battlefield of Chaeronea. Walking! I mean, really!

Another thing, I liked about the Shatner movie, is the relationship between Alexander and Hephaistion/Cleander. This is non-existent in the Burton movie, but is shown very tenderly in the Shatner movie.

Shatner's Alexander movie looks like it was shot by John Ford in Monument Valley, but if you can live with this, it's still the second best Aexander movie ever shot.

And talking about movies on ancient Greece, has anyone read the book 'Hellas on Screen'? In it are four articles on movies about Alexander the Great. Plus a preface by Robin Lane Fox.

The articles are :

'Does Greece - and the Cinema - need another Alexander?' by Irene Berti and Marta Garcia Morcillo.

'Celluloid Alexander(s) : A Hero from the Past as Role Model for the Present?' by Anja Wieber.

Plutarch's and Stone's 'Alexander' by Ivana Petrovic.

'Making Alexander Fit for the Twenty-first Century : Oliver Stone's 'Alexander* by Angelos Chaniotis.

The articles are generally very positive about Stone's movie, quoting and explaining extensively from both the movie and the ancient sources. A far cry from most of the reviews of the movie at the time of its release.

I especially like Chaniotis' article. His response to the criticism of the different accents in the movie is, that the same use of accents was used in 'Ben Hur'. The Romans spoke British, the Jews American.

He concludes his article with the words :

'As a child in Greece, I often heard the legend of the mermaid, Alexander's sister - it must have gone out of fashion now, I guess. She is believed to ask sailors on the seas if Alexander the Great is alive. If they deny it, she sinks their ship. The correct response is 'he is alive, and he rules, and he conquers the world'. Oliver Stone has guessed the correct answer, and he has ensured that Alexander is alive and still conquering the world in the 21st century - including Manhattan and Vietnam'.

Susanne
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I'm afraid that little will change my opinion that Oliver Stone's flick is, by and large, a crock. That silly soliloquy on the balcony as Heph silently gurgles to death is the sealer.

Surely Shatner's Hephaestion would be Yeoman Janice Rand?. Personally, I was always fascinated (to use Spock's favourite word) by Gary Seven... and his cat.
Paralus

Academia.edu