Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Spoof

Post by amyntoros »

Didn't quite know where to put this post as several more recent threads also include comments about the movie. In the end I figured I'd add it to the original thread. :)

A spoof of 300 will "coming soon" to a movie theatre - yes, 300 is already firmly entrenched in pop culture. Here's the trailer (courtesy of RogueClassicism).

Meet the Spartans

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hmm, have been told that the video is no longer available via the Rogueclassicism link, but if you go to Youtube.com and type in Meet the Spartans you'll find it offered several times. Don't want to give it away, but it's worth a look. :)

Given the usual pattern of these films, I suspect that parodies of Alexander and Troy will be included - will be quite surprised if they are not. And is that Kevin Sorbo in the trailer or just someone who looks (vaguely) and sounds like him?

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

That's looking really quite funny.

I believe that, should I see it, I'll come away with the same opinion of Meet The Spartans as I did of 300. The difference being that at least the second was conceived as comedy.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Paralus how can yiou call 300 a comedy and take Alexander serious. Apart from a few artistic differences 300 was more true to the 300 last stand tham Stone did for Alexander/

Measure for measure there were more liberties taken wit Alexander than were made with 300.

Alexander walking round picture caves. Alexander getting Shot at Hydaspes . Clietus Saving Alexander at Gaugamella. Cassander leading a cavalry charge from Macedonia.

Alexander with more eye make up than Lilly savage.

300 was based on a graphic comic what kind of comic was Alexander based on

I guess im beggining to realise why Andrew has an issue with you. Even if the spelling aint right you get ythe idea and know whats been said.

Dont sit on your high horse calling 300 and at the same time would rate Alexander
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Oh dear.....

No need to go through this all again I would think. After all, my view of Alexander is, I might have thought, well known. Putting that into perspective, I own a copy: an ex-rental copy purchased by my wife. It is a moot point as to whether I will ever have shelled out the few bucks.

Thanks for that.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Peace...

I dont exactly know what's your view on Alexander Michael, and i dont know if anyone has a complete view anyway. I just know you approach him more realisticly.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Stathi!! Welcome back mate!

I'd thought you lumbered by the cops for buying from Piraeus dockhands dealing in Turkish fags! (Cigarettes the rest of you…..calm down)

There’s no fight here. Kenny’s just having a swipe having forgotten my golden rule: ignore the pokes.

Alexander was in reference to Stone’s film rather than my assessment of the historical figure. I would agree with you though: my assessment of the figure is, in my opinion, more pragmatically based. I find no need to love or idolise the fellow nor to worship at his altar. I tend to see him as I do his father – a pragmatic and political creature who achieved great things. Not by any “vision” for the spread of Hellenic culture or "revenge" on its behalf nor even any need to civilise a Persian world, but by doing what he did best: conquering, accumulating and moving on to the next challenge. Which challenge did not necessarily involve the intricacies of empire governance. I believe that this was a proper pain in the arse for him – one he’d have gladly handed off to Hephaestion or Antipater.

I do not see the need to “love” or “like” the historical person. He was; he fought; he murdered; he conquered. I might as much “love” or “like” Demosthenes the fifth century Athenian general. Actually, I think I might…
Paralus

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Hehe, I have been busy. I agree with you Michael, except for that i think that Alexander was not like his father in some matters. He was impulsive some times, which indicates that he was more emotional maybe, whatever that may mean. For example this may be the reason for his whole attitude towards the conquered, and the fact that he wanted to assimilate some foreign customs e.t.c. His father would never do that, he would never had dressed in Persian clothes. Of course you can say that Alexander was maybe doing it just for another reason to have the Persians following him more willingly. And you may be right. But i think there was more to that, like that Alexander wouldnt distinquish between Greeks and Persians as one being superior to the other, if both had the proper education. But you are correct as to the pragmatic approach, as long as it doesnt overshadow any other elements.