Megas Alexandros. The Greatest Alexander of them All

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

aleksandros
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by aleksandros »

for which marriage are you talkning about?
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
aleksandros
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by aleksandros »

I have read Alexender's history as much as i could and i can't find any major mistakes he did or acts that he regreted doing exept for Clitus.

I posted some Goofs on imdb about Alexander comcerning factual errors in the movie... i am waiting to be checked.
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Collin Farrels speach at the Beas was as awe inspiring as an alarm clock going off at 4 am for work. When you listen to farrels spaech, Just look at Richard Burtons speaches in his Alexander. Those were the real deal. I cant imagine Alexander weeping in front of his troops like that. They would thing what have we got here.

I accept he cried after piking Clietus as I feel he deeply regreted an incident that got out of hand after a few beers.

But Crying after Gaugamela. This from a seasoned killer who had killed and conquered nost of his life all the way from Cheronae and through gaza Tyre. Granicus and Issus.

All the best Kenny
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

alexanthros...the proposal he sent to Caria after learning his father intended to marry Arrhidaeus off to the daughter of Pixodarus of Caria. Alexander read it wrongly and tried to circumvent his father and get the girl for himself. If I remember correctly, this is what led to the exile of ATG's friends.

Well, Kenny..we wake to different alarm clocks... :P I know the Burton film and enjoy for what it was...which certainly wasn't history either (less so than Stone's film certainly). I just realised how many people must see the real life ATG...as a Shakespearean actor intoning his words on some stage with grand gestures, rather than the scrapper, pouter and complex human being he must have been.

I don't defend the historcal accuracy of Stone's film. But given the choice to follow Colin Farrell or Richard Burton, I think that Farrell might have been more convincing.

As an aside, the Burton film has always bothered me for many reasons (the completely invented role of the female lead is another, but it was the 50's). The complete ignoring of Hephaistion has always intrigued me. I can't even remember if he had a line at all. I wonder why he was so thoroughly ignored. Is it because even then (possibly even more so then) his relationship to ATG was problematic enough they decided to pass on it completely?
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Athena Hail

We can agree to disagree. Each has there own personal choices etc. I feel Alexander indeed had the gift of the gab and used oratory quite often.

I just love some of the forceful speaches an the Burton Movie.He was a king in command I liked the scene where he was claiming loyalty from the Greek states assembled.

Memno say. "Do you place value given on oaths at the point of spears?

Alexander Replied"Ill not hesitate at the gates of Athens as my father did if they are broken"

Even the marriage of his father Alexander looked equal to Philip and even ready to run Philip through.

kenny