New movie on Alexander to be released in 2006

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

New movie on Alexander to be released in 2006

Post by jan »

Yahoo had a twin celebrity bit and I checked on Leonardo diCaprio to learn that the movie starring Caprio will be released in 2006! Check at yahoo for news on Leonardo diCaprio about his starring as Alexander for further information. That is all I know but knew you would be interested! Hey! How about that? :lol:
karen
Hetairos (companion)

I don't think so

Post by karen »

Jan, would you care to provide a link to this supposed movie news?

I looked on IMDb, which is authoritative, and I see nothing about an Alexander movie starring diCaprio. I think maybe you've got something confused.

Warmly,
Karen
Paralus
Chiliarch

The Sound Of Conquest

Post by Paralus »

I think you'll find that was Baz Lurhman's aborted project. If it wasn't aleady dead in the water before Stone's historical abortion, it certainly sank from sight after that film's release.

I believe it had Nicole Kidman slated to play Olympias. Yeah, right. Id make just as good a fit for Alexander. Err, had he lived....for some (not inconsiderable time) time longer....

Given the two were (Lurhman/Kidman) last together for Moulin Rouge , perhaps it was a Macedonian musical?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
dean
Hetairos (companion)

The sound of music

Post by dean »

Hello,

Yes I had heard of the same film with Di Caprio. I must admit that I think he may be a bit more suited to the role although I think that, as Alexander and Hephaestion weeped around Achilles grave- they still will be doing so for some time to come before a second Homer comes to town.
Be we live in hope.

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
jan
Strategos (general)

Two new movies on Alexander

Post by jan »

: :lol: Hi Karen, No, there is no confusion. It remains untitled, and is due to be released in 2006. There are also two other movies on Alexander to be released in 2006 as well, all information is at yahoo.com/movies. A search for Leonardo DiCaprio will provide the information about his movie, and a search for Alexander will give the information about the Greek made movie to be released in 2006. Furthermore, I have just learned that Stone is releasing a new dvd of his movie on Alexander. Information for that is available at oscarworld.net/ostone. The post of Alexander dvd is available there.

I am happy that there is so much interest in the subject of Alexander for film makers. It is great to have so many perspectives and viewpoints! :D
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Unfortunately there IS confusion - confusion arising from the fact that people and companies don't always update their web pages. This is the Yahoo page to which you refer and it obviously hasn't been changed or added to in 2 or 3 years. It refers to the Baz Lurhman project that we all know was cancelled. The movie was never made, Jan. Sorry, but they can't release a movie that was never filmed! :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
karen
Hetairos (companion)

IMDb

Post by karen »

Jan, if you want to disseminate accurate and up-to-date movie information, use IMDb. It is used by professionals and as such takes pains to keep facts straight.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Early rushes from the Baz Lurman Alexander musical "The Sound of Conquest":

How do solve a problem like the Thebans?
How do take a town GÇÿnGÇÖnot burn it down?
How do find a word that means Thebans?
A traitorous lot; medising buggers - better not left around.

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell the Greeks,
Many a thing the Greeks ought undrstand
But how do you make them stay
Obedient when youGÇÖre away
How do you keep GÇÿem under the heal of your hand?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:Early rushes from the Baz Lurman Alexander musical "The Sound of Conquest":

How do solve a problem like the Thebans?
How do take a town GÇÿnGÇÖnot burn it down?
How do find a word that means Thebans?
A traitorous lot; medising buggers - better not left around.

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell the Greeks,
Many a thing the Greeks ought undrstand
But how do you make them stay
Obedient when youGÇÖre away
How do you keep GÇÿem under the heal of your hand?
One day, perhaps I will release the lyrics of the song a friend and I wrote at university, for which the refrain began:

Achilles, the Myrmidon,
The hero with two willies;
The great diphallic demigod
And twice the average man ...

We always wanted to make a Pythonesque version of the Odyssey, and include the song ... but then proper careers and responsibility took over.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I can admit to being part of a band back in the early seventies Marcus. We called it "The Spartans".There were reasons. Prime amongst which were the facts that none of us could sing and the musical ability of the group was....well...you know. At least I was musically trained.

Our last album, recorded in my father's garage in 1975 on reel to reel tape, was "The Spartans: Live at Thermopylae".

As of course it would be.

Even transferred to the new "whizz-bang" casette-tape, it didn't sell. The Spartans, alas, were no more......
Paralus

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:I can admit to being part of a band back in the early seventies Marcus. We called it "The Spartans".There were reasons. Prime amongst which were the facts that none of us could sing and the musical ability of the group was....well...you know. At least I was musically trained.
I suppose there wasn't much call for kithera bands in those days. Of course, if you'd had Hermes on tortoise-shell lyre, and Zeus on the "Thunderbolt" drums, you might have given Mud a run for their money ... :roll:
Our last album, recorded in my father's garage in 1975 on reel to reel tape, was "The Spartans: Live at Thermopylae".
:lol: I suppose there's a certain justice, considering that's exactly what the Spartans weren't, after a while ... one would hope you could have sold at least 300 copies, though ... :wink:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hmmm, so you were a teenager in the early seventies? IGÇÖm not going to say when I was that young or youGÇÖll be throwing all the GÇ£oldGÇ¥ jokes right back at me. :lol:

Your youthful musical endeavor does rather explain why you have a tendency to GÇ£burst into songGÇ¥ on the forum, though. I was surprised you didnGÇÖt take the opportunity in an earlier thread when Elvis was mentioned alongside Alexander. It even had me going for a while - except that I stop at the song titles GǪ (DonGÇÖt you step on my) Open-toed Boots GǪ a song for Calanus GÇô Hunka Hunka Burning Pyre GǪ and one for Calisthenes GÇô Jailhouse Rot GǪ

I shouldnGÇÖt encourage you in this, should I?

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote: I shouldnGÇÖt encourage you in this, should I?
No!
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:Hmmm, so you were a teenager in the early seventies? IGÇÖm not going to say when I was that young or youGÇÖll be throwing all the GÇ£oldGÇ¥ jokes right back at me.... I was surprised you didnGÇÖt take the opportunity in an earlier thread when Elvis was mentioned alongside Alexander. I shouldnGÇÖt encourage you in this, should I?
Noddy Holder and Slade; Deep purple; Emerson, Lake and Palmer; Pink Floyd and,Yes, (intended) Led Zeppelin. You name 'em.

Elvis? The Hephaestion of music. Spent my formative years watching the "singing Elvis creature" in Saturday afternoon "d" films. No thanks. Never a fan.

Still nothing like "Smoke on The Water" in the old man's garage - 100 watt amps and all - aided by (then) cheap red! I'm afraid I'm an unreconstucted "rocker".

Bought the CD of Rick Wakeman's "Journey To the Centre of the Earth" the other day. Nothing defines an "old fart" with pretensions as well as that eh??

Ps. Where can one buy the soundtrack to "Sound of Conquest"?
Paralus

Academia.edu
karen
Hetairos (companion)

OMG

Post by karen »

I didn't think anyone had even heard of "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" any more.

Ooops... I've just given myself away as old too, haven't I...

Crotchetily,
Karen