alexander the great for RTW release date announced

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

jimmy

alexander the great for RTW release date announced

Post by jimmy »

for everyone familar with or who own RTW.

http://www.totalwar.com/community/alex2.htm

enjoy :wink:
marcus
Somatophylax

Rome Total War ... and Alexander

Post by marcus »

Thanks for that, Jimmy. We had a discussion not that long ago, and it appears that few Pothosians have played RTW. I am, indeed, in that number ... but once I knew there was to be an Alexander expansion pack I resolved to invest in a copy.

I didn't seem to be able to find an actual release date mentioned, though. Do you know when it is?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

I am suprised that not many people have the game as you are able to play the greek city states and macedon[granted after the reign of alexander]. there is no definite release date but june was statedthe release date. itwill not be as normal sale in the sense a disk purchase! but a download for the existing game [RTW].

heres some usefull links there are tons of mods skins etc the game also comes with an expansion pack BI.[barbarian invasion]

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

http://www.totalwar.com/community/alex2.htm

i will post a link to my fotopic site with various images from RTW.

http://galleryjames.ukgrrls.co.uk/

and another great utility is for capturing images videos of the battles is called FRAPS.

heres the link to that. http://www.fraps.com/

please do do not forget you need rome total war installed. to download the alexander the great campaign as this is really just an add on.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

heres the latest regarding alexander the great add on for rome total war.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/710/710220p1.html
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

from people first thoughts it aint looking to clever especially the map. there are people thoughts etc over on the org heres the link.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=32

a few people are going to wait and see before purchase but there are a few die hards who will purchase it on release.but the map does seem pretty poor at the moment lets hope it was just a beta one, and the final version is better. there are a few problems like india for example best to wait and see for those who have RTW anyway and there are loads of mods for the greeks anyway.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Here's another game that's been getting a bit of publicity lately:

Rise & Fall: Civilizations At War Golden

"Midway's real-time strategy release is headed to duplication.

May 27, 2006 - Midway announced today that Rise & Fall: Civilizations At War, the heroGÇôdriven realGÇôtime strategy game has gone gold and is scheduled to ship to U.S. stores on June 12.

Rise & Fall: Civilizations At War is the first realGÇôtime strategy game to place players directly in the heart of combat as a heroic general fighting sideGÇôbyGÇôside with their troops. Players can completely command one of the four mightiest empires of the ancient world as in a traditional RTS, but can also use the innovative Hero Command to enter the battlefield as one of history's eight greatest heroes, controlling the likes of Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Cleopatra and more, as they slash through the enemy ranks to turn the tide of battle."

Here are some Screenshots. Judging by the logos on the shields, it looks like shot number three shows Macedonian soldiers. Aren't they all a bit "overdressed", though? I'm guessing by the hero kills logo in the top left that one of the soldiers is supposed to be Alexander, but shouldn't he be easily distinguishable from the rest of the army? Ah, maybe I'm on the wrong track completely. . .

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:Judging by the logos on the shields, it looks like shot number three shows Macedonian soldiers. Aren't they all a bit "overdressed", though?
And, all weilding a gladius? They seem an odd combination of Macedonian/Roman.

Possibly they're that Roman"Macedonian" legion composed of Macedonians?

It appears we have Spartans assaulting Babylon too...

Oh, oh....best go...
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote:It appears we have Spartans assaulting Babylon too...
Mmmm. . . Perhaps you pick your commander and then get to choose any battlefield that you want? So - thinking of another current thread - maybe you can have the Macedonians attack Carthage or battle against Hannibal? It might actually be fun if it were so. Not that I'd ever be able to find out. My son could tell you how pathetic I am at computer and video games. I think the part of the brain that enables one to do left, R1, up, right, L1, X, Y, O combos or to click through 6 screens of battleplay instructions needs to be nurtured from a young age. Unfortunately, my skills end with tetris. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote: I think the part of the brain that enables one to do left, R1, up, right, L1, X, Y, O combos or to click through 6 screens of battleplay instructions needs to be nurtured from a young age. Unfortunately, my skills end with tetris.
Ha,ha,ha,ha, haa! (Can't quite bring myself to use lol)

You at least made it to Tetris. I do believe pin-ball machines were my limit. Never could quite fathom the interest in playing tennis with a white dot and an oversized underscore. I was always destroyed cheaply in "space invaders" and the most technologically developed game I believe I played may well have been "Frogger"

How embarrassing.

Still, my nine year old son seems to possess fingers capable of 40,000 gamestrokes per minute. Oh, and you forgot "B". Apparently the "b" button is most important!

Must say, that's a reasonable rendition of a trireme. Pity the ram is above the water line. Can't be the Paralus then can it??
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

First Reviews - Rome: Total War Alexander

Post by amyntoros »

First review I've seen for Rome: Total War Alexander

Just a couple of quotes:

. . . You have no way to properly rest and rebuild, either, as a scorched-earth policy is necessary to raise cash for troops and to ensure that you don't wind up with revolts in your rear that you have no time to go back and deal with. This is more than a bit ahistorical. History buffs might find it strange and off-putting to lead Alexander's armies to crush his neighbors, since this doesn't mesh with the mercy that the real Alexander showed to conquered cities or the conqueror's cultural-fusion policy (it's hard to merge Greece with Persia when you're slaughtering every Persian you lay your eyes upon). But there is no other way to wage war here. Play the benevolent conqueror, and you inevitably wind up fighting a war on two fronts later in the game.

. . . When you have them to deploy, Macedonian troops are the best in the game--their morale is superb, and they are universally good all-around units that can attack and defend extremely well. Two really stand out. The Companion heavy cavalry are absolute killers from the flanks and have solid armor that makes them better than average defenders against spearmen. And the phalangist spearmen are flat-out devastating against, well, damn near everything. They never seem to break, and their long spears can chew up enemy infantry, cavalry, archers, and spearmen alike. Deploy enough of them, and they can make short work of even Persia's new Immortal heavy-infantry units and the Indian elephants.

Solid armor on the Companion cavalry? Surely not? Ah, what does it matter - it's only a video game! :) Now, if I could only convince my son to put Rome on his computer . . .

Best regards,
Amyntoros