What makes an Oscar?

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

What makes an Oscar?

Post by kennyxx »

Companions HiI was just watching the golden globe awards and the probable nominations for Oscars. Makes no sense to me. I would say as not very good Alexander was. Vangelis score was worth a nomination for the music.Now the winner of the awrds and the hot tip is a cowboy movie anout a love afaro between 2 guys. Its becoming clear with statistics that the King Kong movie to name one was watched by 20 times more people than watched the gay movie.Now why are not these awards given to movies represented by the the box office figures that make the movies succesful. Its estimated that this new movie was hardly screened in states outside LA and that the box office figures will be very low. Also a movie with Rachel Wies is getting aclaim I cant even remember the name.Why Is it that movies which people wont go to see win awards?Kenny.Or at least why Van Gelis aint got a nomination?
Annie

Re: What makes an Oscar?

Post by Annie »

The Oscars aren't given for box receipts; they're given for the various elements that MAKE a movie, like acting (best actor, actress), script, cinematography, soundtrack (score), directing, & such.Good thing too, cuz if they gave according to box receipts, some really bad movies would win.I think the score Vangelis did for Alexander should be a contender, but it depends on what scores it's up against. I can't say the same for the script or acting in Alexander.The movie about the "two gay cowboys' is called Brokeback Mountain. Ang Lee directed. The reason its being considered for an oscar is becuz of the script, the soundtrack, the acting & directing. In other words, it's a good MOVIE with good acting in it. You might not like the subject matter but that's not what they select Oscars on.
Annie

Post by Annie »

The Oscars aren't given for box receipts; they're given for the various elements that MAKE a movie, like acting (best actor, actress), script, cinematography, soundtrack (score), directing, & such.Good thing too, cuz if they gave according to box receipts, some really bad movies would win.I think the score Vangelis did for Alexander should be a contender, but it depends on what scores it's up against. I can't say the same for the script or acting in Alexander.The movie about the "two gay cowboys' is called Brokeback Mountain. Ang Lee directed. The reason its being considered for an oscar is becuz of the script, the soundtrack, the acting & directing. In other words, it's a good MOVIE with good acting in it. You might not like the subject matter but that's not what they select Oscars on.
Athanasios

Post by Athanasios »

Also note that if we apply the principle of most viewed to art of antiquity it could be argued that the Acropolis Marbles, currently housed in the British Museum, should not be returned to the Acropolis, Athens, but rather to Disneyland, Florida!Yes, I know, perhaps taken to an extreme, but it does demonstrate the case...Unfortuantely it is mediocrity that appeals to the en masse. Regards,
Atha
Athanasios

Post by Athanasios »

Also note that if we apply the principle of most viewed to art of antiquity it could be argued that the Acropolis Marbles, currently housed in the British Museum, should not be returned to the Acropolis, Athens, but rather to Disneyland, Florida!Yes, I know, perhaps taken to an extreme, but it does demonstrate the case...Unfortuantely it is mediocrity that appeals to the en masse. Regards,
Atha
birdlover

Post by birdlover »

Hi Kenny,

I have not been around for awhile, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents (if you don't mind). I hope you are well.

Unfortunately, the score for Alexander is not eligible for an Oscar this year. It was a 2004 film, therefore it would have been eligible last year. And as we know it was not nominated, then. But, I believe that it should have been, as well. It may be eligible for a BAFTA, since it was not released in the UK until 2005. But, in the US it definetely is not.

Alexander may have not been Oscar worthy, but I still think it is a decent film, despite all the criticism that it recieved (I don't think it deserved all that it got). I don't think there will ever be an ATG film that everyone will be pleased with. At least an attempt was made. Who knows if anyone else will even try again, for a long time.

Dara
birdlover

Post by birdlover »

Hi Kenny,

I have not been around for awhile, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents (if you don't mind). I hope you are well.

Unfortunately, the score for Alexander is not eligible for an Oscar this year. It was a 2004 film, therefore it would have been eligible last year. And as we know it was not nominated, then. But, I believe that it should have been, as well. It may be eligible for a BAFTA, since it was not released in the UK until 2005. But, in the US it definetely is not.

Alexander may have not been Oscar worthy, but I still think it is a decent film, despite all the criticism that it recieved (I don't think it deserved all that it got). I don't think there will ever be an ATG film that everyone will be pleased with. At least an attempt was made. Who knows if anyone else will even try again, for a long time.

Dara
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Strike me sideways but you're a cynical bugger Atha!Can't disagree though.What makes an Oscar? Money (lots of it), "glad-handers" and more backhanders than ever seen over the fortnight of Wimbledon.Dear me, that sounds a little strong, possibly I should reconsider...nope, seems right.As you'd gather, I lost respect for the Oscars some time ago. that's not to say there aren't deserving winneres - there are. Its just the "promotional money" and parties that go before it, never - of course - intended to garner votes.What makes a good film is going to be different for each of us. Stone's Alexander (I'm sure my opinion - disappointing - is well enough known) is a singular example.I s'pose - like most years - I'll check in to the telecast every now and then so as to recharge the cynicism batteries if nothing else!Paralus
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Strike me sideways but you're a cynical bugger Atha!Can't disagree though.What makes an Oscar? Money (lots of it), "glad-handers" and more backhanders than ever seen over the fortnight of Wimbledon.Dear me, that sounds a little strong, possibly I should reconsider...nope, seems right.As you'd gather, I lost respect for the Oscars some time ago. that's not to say there aren't deserving winneres - there are. Its just the "promotional money" and parties that go before it, never - of course - intended to garner votes.What makes a good film is going to be different for each of us. Stone's Alexander (I'm sure my opinion - disappointing - is well enough known) is a singular example.I s'pose - like most years - I'll check in to the telecast every now and then so as to recharge the cynicism batteries if nothing else!Paralus
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

HI Kenny, I am so happy that you mentioned Brokeback Mountain since I saw it yesterday, and feel free to comment.I also saw a movie that you probably know called Vera Drake. That is a great movie too, one for women which is obviously British. That lady is one excellent actress who starred in this great touching movie. I loved the direction in it also.She was up for an award in Hollywood and I can't remember who got the award in stead of her, but she was quite good.Brokeback Mountain is another one of those movies that is all about me, me, and more me, but in a way that only I know and fully understand. Again, I feel as though I am the recipient for This is Your Life, which is about to air again, notwithstanding the fact that I feel more like the movie Forget Paris as I don't have that many friends who are going to want to admit to hearing and seeing themselves in this film. I am alerting those closest to me now as I have always done in the past, get used to it, Hollywood lives all around me, like in the old Mary Tyler Moore show, and if that is love, I want money, money, money!I told the doorman who took my ticket and money not to worry that I know that it is only aboutme and my mother, as I got that notion tout de suite, immediately, or stat as in good medicine.This movie is a story that should be seen and heard as it uses all the old jokes that I have known and heard since my childhood. This deliberately takes me back to my college years, and while I found it interesting to learn how many people I have enslaved to me and my comings and goings, this movie really gave me the jolt. It is a local conspiracy as well, since much of this began locally here in the state of Arizona. Where I met all my old gay friends.So it goes. It is a bit of a takeoff on Tristan and Isolde too, a movie that I saw that made me realize how pathetic the Stone movie really is.Well, I am under constant observation from the Hollywood set, and have been for years, but never thought that I would see the day that the movie Giant became fodder for the movie Brokeback Mountain, which is probably more realistically Camelback Mountain. Whatever? I recognized scenes and words of myself everywhere throughout this film designed to scare young gay men to death! I will stop now before becoming a spoiler, but actually my mom and I only feign being gay just for the sake of giving people like Stone and Ang Lee causes to make movies on us.This movie is wha
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

HI Kenny, I am so happy that you mentioned Brokeback Mountain since I saw it yesterday, and feel free to comment.I also saw a movie that you probably know called Vera Drake. That is a great movie too, one for women which is obviously British. That lady is one excellent actress who starred in this great touching movie. I loved the direction in it also.She was up for an award in Hollywood and I can't remember who got the award in stead of her, but she was quite good.Brokeback Mountain is another one of those movies that is all about me, me, and more me, but in a way that only I know and fully understand. Again, I feel as though I am the recipient for This is Your Life, which is about to air again, notwithstanding the fact that I feel more like the movie Forget Paris as I don't have that many friends who are going to want to admit to hearing and seeing themselves in this film. I am alerting those closest to me now as I have always done in the past, get used to it, Hollywood lives all around me, like in the old Mary Tyler Moore show, and if that is love, I want money, money, money!I told the doorman who took my ticket and money not to worry that I know that it is only aboutme and my mother, as I got that notion tout de suite, immediately, or stat as in good medicine.This movie is a story that should be seen and heard as it uses all the old jokes that I have known and heard since my childhood. This deliberately takes me back to my college years, and while I found it interesting to learn how many people I have enslaved to me and my comings and goings, this movie really gave me the jolt. It is a local conspiracy as well, since much of this began locally here in the state of Arizona. Where I met all my old gay friends.So it goes. It is a bit of a takeoff on Tristan and Isolde too, a movie that I saw that made me realize how pathetic the Stone movie really is.Well, I am under constant observation from the Hollywood set, and have been for years, but never thought that I would see the day that the movie Giant became fodder for the movie Brokeback Mountain, which is probably more realistically Camelback Mountain. Whatever? I recognized scenes and words of myself everywhere throughout this film designed to scare young gay men to death! I will stop now before becoming a spoiler, but actually my mom and I only feign being gay just for the sake of giving people like Stone and Ang Lee causes to make movies on us.This movie is wha
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I see I overchatted myself out here. Well, I actually like the film as the scenery is wonderful, and took me back to the time that my mom and I got caught in a sheep drive up in Durango, Colorado,which is where I realized this movie would be about us as per usual. I think that Diana Ossanna, one of the writers, is probably a combination of my longterm friend from high school and SamOMar, but that is only because of how she appeared on the Golden Globe awards show.Anyway, I was on alert from the opening shots to the final shots as I recognized quickly key scenes, sentences, words, and phrases that set me up to be able to ride out this storm. Some of it comes from my taking a correspondence course with the Institute of Children's Literature as I recognized one of the exercises put to use in this movie as another movie had also done using Kevin BAcon and Meryl Streep awhile back. The tent scene in the Brokeback Mountain story is a clue to that Institute's importance in this work. It is a takeoff on rich man/poor man t.v. sitcom which was a part of ABC programming years ago. The character who most reminds me of George Bush is the poor man role, always on top of the situation, and the man who makes me think of JFK is otherwise also probably given lots of publicity in the credits as a Jim Patrick, someone known to me quite personally so I understood finally at the conclusion why this combo works as my favorite song to him was You Made Me Do It, and they played on that old theme a bit in this film. Quite juicy of them. Ian would love this one! And by the way, Juicy is big at Neiman Marcus here locally where I noticed a big rose heart there exactly in the same color as my new blouse that I was wearing. Cute joke worked here.Have a heart! In reality, this movie is a joke, a farce, but joke on me, but I got it, and I wish everyone love everywhere. I loved the movie. It is a good one, just as the Hockey game, need a puck, was good in celebrating the real truth of Alexander, always the winner! Dolly Parton might even remember her words in 9 to 5, as that joke too has become true in this movie. Just a warning to all the turkeys out there!Gobble! Gobble! I recommend this movie, as I know that in the end it scares the h out of everyone! I like it for that reason!Granted, boys and girls, you know in HOllywood, anything that is straight as an arrow will be turned into a gay, queer, odds and ends joke. TATA!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I see I overchatted myself out here. Well, I actually like the film as the scenery is wonderful, and took me back to the time that my mom and I got caught in a sheep drive up in Durango, Colorado,which is where I realized this movie would be about us as per usual. I think that Diana Ossanna, one of the writers, is probably a combination of my longterm friend from high school and SamOMar, but that is only because of how she appeared on the Golden Globe awards show.Anyway, I was on alert from the opening shots to the final shots as I recognized quickly key scenes, sentences, words, and phrases that set me up to be able to ride out this storm. Some of it comes from my taking a correspondence course with the Institute of Children's Literature as I recognized one of the exercises put to use in this movie as another movie had also done using Kevin BAcon and Meryl Streep awhile back. The tent scene in the Brokeback Mountain story is a clue to that Institute's importance in this work. It is a takeoff on rich man/poor man t.v. sitcom which was a part of ABC programming years ago. The character who most reminds me of George Bush is the poor man role, always on top of the situation, and the man who makes me think of JFK is otherwise also probably given lots of publicity in the credits as a Jim Patrick, someone known to me quite personally so I understood finally at the conclusion why this combo works as my favorite song to him was You Made Me Do It, and they played on that old theme a bit in this film. Quite juicy of them. Ian would love this one! And by the way, Juicy is big at Neiman Marcus here locally where I noticed a big rose heart there exactly in the same color as my new blouse that I was wearing. Cute joke worked here.Have a heart! In reality, this movie is a joke, a farce, but joke on me, but I got it, and I wish everyone love everywhere. I loved the movie. It is a good one, just as the Hockey game, need a puck, was good in celebrating the real truth of Alexander, always the winner! Dolly Parton might even remember her words in 9 to 5, as that joke too has become true in this movie. Just a warning to all the turkeys out there!Gobble! Gobble! I recommend this movie, as I know that in the end it scares the h out of everyone! I like it for that reason!Granted, boys and girls, you know in HOllywood, anything that is straight as an arrow will be turned into a gay, queer, odds and ends joke. TATA!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Oh, I call this movie an extended metaphor, and a cases of the 9 muses and Shanley. But what makes an Oscar? If they like me or not is all. Just like Sally Fields say years ago in her movie Norman Rae, they like her, or was it Norma Tinker or Sally Coombs that they really liked?
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Oh, I call this movie an extended metaphor, and a cases of the 9 muses and Shanley. But what makes an Oscar? If they like me or not is all. Just like Sally Fields say years ago in her movie Norman Rae, they like her, or was it Norma Tinker or Sally Coombs that they really liked?