Richard Burton TOO old

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Richard Burton TOO old

Post by kenny »

Many Porthonians.Have complained and bemoaned Richard Borton was too Old TO play Alexander.Maybe as a School boy yes.But When Burton Played THe beath scene he was Actually 31 so basically on the money and give ir take 5-6 years was ok in the Roll.I keep going Back to the Alexander Burton movie and we know there was lots wrong. If you ever get a chance to see Burton In look back in anger.Combine the voice and the power of his acting and it was fantastic.ITs just the image an actor with the face or appearance then the combination is brill.If such an actor can be found I would spend dosh with computers and try overlay the Burton Voice.Just watch the wickedry of the character in Look back in anger and how burton puts it across.Kenny
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Richard Burton TOO old

Post by ruthaki »

You are absolutely right. Burton was a brilliant actor but far too old for the part of Alexander in that early movie. I recall seeing it. I was a youngster then, and had been enamoured of Alexander since I was 16, reading and writing about him and so excited about the film. Then when I saw it I was so disappointed. I have a copy of it and have watched it since and feel even more so about it.
And I still think that Oliver Stone's movie was quite excellent. Saw it three times and would definitely go again and plan to buy the DVD as well.
Sure there were flaws and omissions, but Colin Farrel did a pretty fine job of portraying Alexander, I thought.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

You are absolutely right. Burton was a brilliant actor but far too old for the part of Alexander in that early movie. I recall seeing it. I was a youngster then, and had been enamoured of Alexander since I was 16, reading and writing about him and so excited about the film. Then when I saw it I was so disappointed. I have a copy of it and have watched it since and feel even more so about it.
And I still think that Oliver Stone's movie was quite excellent. Saw it three times and would definitely go again and plan to buy the DVD as well.
Sure there were flaws and omissions, but Colin Farrel did a pretty fine job of portraying Alexander, I thought.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Ruth HailIndeed its horses for coarses. The More I seer Alexander The less I am liking Farrel with the roll. Indeed the Battle scenes special effects etc were superior. Stones Idea of theatrical licence was too far.One speach from Richard Burton. THe Burton Alexander Speaches were magnificent.You Shold have not called me thief or Boy Or Told us about your great wealth. For we shall fight even harder till all your possesions are ours. Nor Called me Thief or boy. For if you slay me it will be said that this great King Killed a robber chief. But If I slay you which I entend to do it will be said that this great King And Warrior Died at the hand of a Little Greek Boy.... For I am comming against you and having trusted myself to the immortal gods I will be victorious.
Something Like that and it was magic.Kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Ruth HailIndeed its horses for coarses. The More I seer Alexander The less I am liking Farrel with the roll. Indeed the Battle scenes special effects etc were superior. Stones Idea of theatrical licence was too far.One speach from Richard Burton. THe Burton Alexander Speaches were magnificent.You Shold have not called me thief or Boy Or Told us about your great wealth. For we shall fight even harder till all your possesions are ours. Nor Called me Thief or boy. For if you slay me it will be said that this great King Killed a robber chief. But If I slay you which I entend to do it will be said that this great King And Warrior Died at the hand of a Little Greek Boy.... For I am comming against you and having trusted myself to the immortal gods I will be victorious.
Something Like that and it was magic.Kenny
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I'll tell you something Kenny, I still wake up in a sweat having had another nightmare featuring Burton charging 'round Asia in a skirt!AAARGGHH! The voice yes, but leave me out of the rest!Paralus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I'll tell you something Kenny, I still wake up in a sweat having had another nightmare featuring Burton charging 'round Asia in a skirt!AAARGGHH! The voice yes, but leave me out of the rest!Paralus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

No DisrespectBut just about every Greek with Alexander ran around Asia Wearing Skirts.I may be some kinda wierdo. But if persistant hot jweather came to our shores I kinda thought those Greek And Roman Skirts looked pretty cool. Better than Bermuda shorts Trackie bottoms amnd brand nes jeans with tears in them. Maybe the guy needs a gedent looking pair of pins but hey.Kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

No DisrespectBut just about every Greek with Alexander ran around Asia Wearing Skirts.I may be some kinda wierdo. But if persistant hot jweather came to our shores I kinda thought those Greek And Roman Skirts looked pretty cool. Better than Bermuda shorts Trackie bottoms amnd brand nes jeans with tears in them. Maybe the guy needs a gedent looking pair of pins but hey.Kenny
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Fully aware of that Kenny. The Greeks used to pick on the Persians and their dress: these blokes come to fight in pants? What the hell's the matter with 'em??It's just more of a comment on the film's wardrobe department. For the life of me, Burton looks for all the world like he's wearing a skirt!You may well be right about the pins. Maybe that's what's doing it.Paralus.
Paralus

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Fully aware of that Kenny. The Greeks used to pick on the Persians and their dress: these blokes come to fight in pants? What the hell's the matter with 'em??It's just more of a comment on the film's wardrobe department. For the life of me, Burton looks for all the world like he's wearing a skirt!You may well be right about the pins. Maybe that's what's doing it.Paralus.
Paralus

Academia.edu
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Respect MichaelI guess theyd look even stranger In tracky bottoms and trainers.Take care.Kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Respect MichaelI guess theyd look even stranger In tracky bottoms and trainers.Take care.Kenny
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Kenny and Ruthaki, I always admire Ruthaki's loyalty to the Stone movie of Alexander, and I appreciate the criticism of the Richard Burton film, and must agree that Kenny has caught something in the speechmaking! Thanks Kenny for reminding me of that. I own both dvd's and am waiting for another remake in ten years time, I suppose. Maybe a new book of great fame and renown will be the basis for another remake of Alexander.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Kenny and Ruthaki, I always admire Ruthaki's loyalty to the Stone movie of Alexander, and I appreciate the criticism of the Richard Burton film, and must agree that Kenny has caught something in the speechmaking! Thanks Kenny for reminding me of that. I own both dvd's and am waiting for another remake in ten years time, I suppose. Maybe a new book of great fame and renown will be the basis for another remake of Alexander.